Please see clips below.
- Elite Voidworm Void Pool, 4.7k tick @ 500
- Places a conspicuous void AOE degen on the floor
- Location: Bottom of the desert arena hill
- Personal thoughts: Pool clips through the floor, telegraphed slightly poorly, I tend to teleport down when I noticed my health dropping rapidly even if I could not diagnose where the damage was coming from. Ultimately still survivable if I was able to walk out.
- Skull -of blades modifier hitting for 2.6k @ 700
- Slaps you really hard
- Location: Bottom of hills on snow arena
- Personal thoughts: I personally think the damage is fair for the relative scaling, I have no issue with enemy melee auto-attack damage one shotting. The “issue” is that I would have survived if they were two unmodded skullens and I could see some degree of visual cue on the -of blades modifier
With that out of the way, the rest below is discussion and opinions. Allow me to disagree with Geo on the soul spear skill above, I personally have not been been afraid of soul spear after familiarizing myself of the green swirling FX associated with the skill, my first death to it was my last. The tell to me personally seems obvious (it looks to be the same as a necro green swirling effect which can be weird at times though). I do agree the damage is appropriate and could even be buffed. If I could offer an alternate suggestion - instead of making soul spear somehow easier to see maybe differentiate the elite halberdier so the players are more prepared to anticipate it coming as they get lost in the spear skeleton packs sometimes.
Personally, of all my deaths the only “unfair” deaths I could tell would be massive volleys of fireballs all going off at once from prophets, a single skullen alive in a pack of enemies, and void degen pools. The cynicism I have with discussions like this is the removal of void mauls from arena made it relatively less interesting. You need to die to something in arena, I would have been fine with differentiating the voidmaul sunder from world sunder and not let it track slightly as well as give it a constant visual instead of disappearing between AoEs. Arena needs those “oh shit it’s them” mobs and void mauls, voidfused armors, fireballers, bears, void thralls all appropriately fit in that context. Probably unpopular opinion: If you make everything too easily reactable or too obviously telegraphed then you remove a major element of learning through experience that I think is important in progression for learning an ARPG.
There’s a mix of feedback mostly because I really enjoy discourse in any form on games I like so you’re free to move my post to where you believe appropriate! Regardless, thank you for all the hard work and for taking the time to read this.