Resistance Changes Feedback Thread

++ agreed. Finding it a much more intuitive and simpler system than before…

1 Like

Please dont… These are the simplest and best affixes.

I love that the resistances are spread over multiple gear - this way it is EASIER to replace a particular piece of gear without losing all of a resistance… i.e. using a high % single resistance on an item means that if you wanted to change it you would have a hole in your defences until you swapped something else out etc. or replaced it. With the set affixes, you lose less and its a more balanced way of gearing up imho…

To remove set affixes, we would need the other resistances boosted so much that it would, imho, make my concern even more obvious…

2 Likes

In patch 7.9 I had more options building my defensive stats.

In the campaign I would look for glancing blow, prots and dodge, when I started end game I would grab all sources of glancing blow and work my way from there.

I could choose to ignore protections completely and go full dodge/health. Go full prots and ignore health. Go hybrid with some prots, health and dodge. I could choose to use block or ward depending on the class and possibilities.

Some classes were heavily connected to the defensive cocktail you would pick. But you still had the option to do whatever you wanted.

For example. The sentinel could build really heavy into protections. The potential was really good because of the combination flat prot, % incr prots and conversions.

The lifespan of this class was really high because you could gear many stats that would make your char feel like a real tank.

Damage was never a problem this game. The problem was you felt obligated to take certain skills and nodes for there defenses.

What did I expect from a reworked defenses system?

It’s hard to say because I didn’t have much of a problem with the old system. I thought it had depth. I’d expected glancing blow to be reworked for sure.

The problems I did see with 7.9 defenses:

• Glancing blow 50% reduction to much
  • Health diminishing returns going prots
  • Health regen and leech useless going prots
  • One shots

What I got from this patch?

• Glancing blow removed, don’t say it didn’t get removed. You know what I mean. This layer is gone.
  • 7 res to cap (to easy)
  • armor, dodge, block all diminishing returns. You find out the optimal value and after that it’s like whatever.
  • Every class wants health
  • One shots
  • Protections on class identity lost
  • Flat prot values (ranges on affixes which were awesome to farm for) Gone
  • Every build now calls itself tanky.

I feel this patch killed a lot of good things and streamlined the defensive system to let players play whatever they want.

Sounds good to me!?

1 Like

Apart from where they aren’t. Sentinel still gets loads of block & armour, Mage still gets loads of Ward, Primalist still probably refuses to bathe, Acolyte still gets ward but not as much (but that’s fine because she can still send her minions in to die for her).

1 Like

Losing a couple affixes AND completely bricking your piece of gear isn’t punishment enough? I already hate the crafting system, and it’s the sole reason, if left in place, that I would not play this game when it goes live. If your idea were currently true, I’d have quit immediately!

A player should not be punished by playing a game.

I’m sure this won’t be a popular opinion, but I feel like ward is too powerful. It still continues to bypass the need for any other type of defense: no armor, gb, or resists needed. It seems like all you need to do, is stack ward gen, ward retention, hp (if using exanginous), and crit avoidance.
I won’t lie; I love it! It’s easier for me to gear, because I don’t have to really participate in the crafting system ( I don’t enjoy at all), and it’s easy for all unique gear builds.

But I do think it should be looked at.

I’m pretty sure that something where you can’t loose in a certain way doesn’t qualify for the term “game”

The run of shame back. The loss of progress. Losing 4 timelines in LE. I’m totally fine with these.
Losing a ton of xp (at one point in my current PoE character I was 78% to level 93. I’ve died enough that I dropped to 24%), losing an actual level. . .losing an item completely on death (looking at you Torchlight 3 lifebound system) is far too punishing imo. Again, I’m playing an arpg. Not hardcore. Not a roguelike. I’m not a fan of losing things that I’ve worked hard to get.
I HATED losing your entire inventory when you died in Diablo 2, but at least you could, in most cases, run back to your corpse and retrieve them.

I never minded the slight xp loss in Grim Dawn. And it was made better by getting a % back when you returned to your corpse.

Health Regen seems like a real defensive layer now. I put health regen and Vitality on like 3 pieces of gear and I am regenerating 63 health a second. Seems pretty legit.

Something to keep in mind:

Arena-push game requires one kind of design philosophy.
Get-huge-or-go-home game requires a different kind of design philosophy.

Personally I’d much rather see an insane amount of items with an insane amount of ways to be OP with an insane amount of characters possible than caring one iota about how hard it is and how long it takes to improve a character bit-by-bit to compete on the ladder.

A part of me thinks if one has the itch to compete with others on a ladder you picked the wrong genre. Wanna be a tough guy? Play quakeworld (tdm or duel) Street Fighter V to actually compete with another human being. But if ladders are your thing the shmup genre will serve your well or arcade shooters in general. Perhaps try a world record speed run in spelunky 2.

Another part of me thinks they hit something special with the ladder and arena and they should embrace that.

But what is the design filosofy?

When I joined 6 months ago I joined because I saw people competing ladder and going endless in monolith. That was very appealing to me. And it was fun to watch.

If this game is ONLY going to be oriented around build making and group play just have a dev tell me and I can stop ranting and caring*

Ward has been nerfed greatly in general in terms of retention and now spellblade received nerfs to ward gen etc. Remember you need higher ward pool than hp since you cannot leech

2 Likes

Ward gain on hit IS leech. It is just flat amount instead of percentage.

2 Likes

And those have been nerfed for most part. (Shatter strike etc) There is no reason to nerf ward further and you really can’t compare ward on hit to leech. Leech can give you 3k health regen per second…

1 Like

That is a point I like. Ward should be its own viable option of defense just like all the others

Arena was net originally intended. Was only added to give player something to do. They only kept it in because players liked it and would get upset if they removed it. It was never in the original plan for design philosophy. So imo they are not really going to balance around edless systems when the rest of the game would become trivialized. Keep.in mind i am.not saying it shouldn’t be a thing just not the focus of the balance of the game

2 Likes

Maybe 3k leech is a problem. It is EXTREMELY hard to get that much max health. To be able to leech that much is absurd and probably needs changed itself.

People need to stop looking at the unbalanced OP exploits of the game and expecting the rest of the game to be balanced around that.

2 Likes

If you use Exanginous, the more hp you have, the higher your ward pool.

No. He’s right about ward on hit basically being leech. Factor in ward not requiring any resists or defenses