New Monolith System is frustrating

I think the way of zooming thru the monolith is also a problem. Just spamming teleport till you get to the objective is not really fun. Maybe have a condition on the map before the objective spawns.

1 Like

Besides all the complaints here, theres no need to be afraid to play :wink:.

Playing still is fun, the new maps are cool. There are new affixes to chase. The 9only real problem are the bossfights.

Saw a video of the lvl 100 bossfight from boardman on his yt channel. He’s not immune to oneshots, too :laughing:

1 Like

The whole boss situation really sucks. I understand that they want to make bosses actually mean something and making players do mechanics but I just feel so weak now… What is the point of making a stronger character if it doesn’t matter for bosses? I thought the whole point of Mono was to take the risk of stacking up a bunch of modifiers for better rewards but also for stronger bosses. This artificial difficulty of making us do no damage to them is not satisfying or fun. I would expect to struggle against a lvl90 boss for example but not a 55 one…

5 Likes

I am a new player and I absolutely hate the new Monoliths. At first I didn’t know what was going on, just saw that my leveling up became much longer (level 62 right now). After realizing I had to beat the time zone to get higher level monoliths, I started to only rush to the end of monolith and skipping all the content.

Comes the boss, the fight was really clunky, especially around the soul vessels which would get my character stuck from time to time… I spent the entire fight running around, to get one-shot when I could finally damage him (playing an abyssal echo FG).

Back to square 1, have to run through all the monoliths again for a chance to beat him this time, meanwhile my character isn’t progressing at all. Right now I will most likely start new characters to explore the other classes, but I sure hope this system is reviewed to actually be fun eventually.

3 Likes

I’m the kind of player that enjoys clearing monoliths, especially if i’m getting some ok xp, level appropriate gear rolls and a fun challenge level. One side effect of this new mono system as a level 95 is that even though there are some cool new maps, I have had to change my style to just speed running past the content.

I’m on my 3rd (and maybe last for a while) try at the 68 boss which has been over 30 monos to clear to get there. As a dev, it was a little sad that I was unable to enjoy the new content because I wanted to spend only an hour doing no reward trash vs 2 hours.

I don’t agree with your tone, but I’ve crashed twice from the same way and it is very frustrating.

However, I haven’t crashed since I repaired the game files and updated my graphics driver. Try doing the same and see if it helps you.

1 Like

Whether monolith was designed for starting right after the campaign or not, I agree with the broad sentiment that overlevelled and geared character should be trivializing low level bosses. That’s the expectation in ARPGs.

But I do support the exploration of this experimental boss defence mechanics on late end game bosses to prevent overgeared character from trivializing them in end game.

4 Likes

I would prefer a mutation of this: dying wipes accumulated modifiers but saves the number of normal echoes you have conquered since you conquered a quest echo. Every time you conquer a normal echo, there is a stacking increased chance that the next roll will include a quest echo. If a quest echo is entered but not conquered, the stack remains but accumulated echo penalties/bonuses are erased. If the quest is conquered, the stack resets to the default chance of finding a quest echo.
Conquered quest echoes are saved towards progress making the final quest appear.
Even if a player fails after several echoes, they’re still making a sort of soft progress. If they just can’t complete quest echoes while penalties are in play, the stacking likelihood of a quest showing up (retained through death) means that they’ll inevitably get to run the quest with fewer or perhaps no penalties. This helps to prevent the difficulty spike from skewering the forward momentum of more casual builds completely.

What if the timeline itself had a progression bar? Killing enemies and finding chests in the timeline fills the bar and successfully completing an echo is worth a good chunk of progress. Each echo cleared adds a stacking multiplyer to the progress earned, so players who go undefeated will fill the timeline’s bar faster. Players choose whether or not to take on additional penalties, so they can always play the game at a level of difficulty they’re comfortable with.
At certain points in the progress bar, a new quest echo unlocks. The unlocked quest is always available to be selected, progress can still be earned towards additional quests, and quests can be beaten in any order. Beating a quest is worth a healthy amount of timeline progression.
After all of the quests are cleared, a timeline’s final boss or challenge is unlocked. Clearing the final quest echo grants the timeline’s boon and a new timeline opens.

In this way, players are given agency in how challenging they want their time spent with the game to be. Players who simply want to smash mobs in the face can choose to keep one or two echo penalties, and those with hyper optimized builds can choose to accumulate a dozen.
Players can adjust their difficulty until they’ve found an experience that allows them to keep a good momentum at challenge that’s right for their build.

I feel like too many people are trying to rush to completing the monolith progression. I think that the monolith was reworked exactly to make it more challenging. You only have to beat a boss once to unlock the next timeline, so why is it 15 monoliths way too much or frustrating to do? It’s only frustrating if you continuously fail to beat the boss.

For the people who haven’t beat it yet, hate to break it to you, but the 3rd or 4th timeline takes like 30 monoliths to get a shot at the boss(based on the 3 attempts I’ve had). The entire monolith, in my opinion, is set up this way to actually provide a challenge and a more long term goal.

Working so much to get a chance at the boss, for me, also makes the fight that much more important. I have felt more invested in those fights than any other fight I have experienced since early alpha because guess what, I too don’t want to grind another 30 monoliths to get another shot.

This is the moment where you either take a breather, swap characters, or let the game go for the day. This is still beta and aside from the boring arena, this is the only endgame we have so why rush to complete it. Take your time, gear your toon, and do your homework on the boss fights from people who have already beat it.

Once you beat it you will be back to being out of new content and will either repeat monoliths until no end or do arena, again, until no end.

I also want to mention the positive side of having a separate monolith progression on every character. With every timeline beaten, you get some sort of directed gear drop bonus(i think they call it runes). This means that you can set up different characters in such a way that you’d be able to farm specific types of gear rather than having to redo any given timeline of which you want to change a given rune.

1 Like

Hate to break it to you but that’s why you(we) are here. The game is still in beta and aside from the very limited in-house testing, we are providing the feedback for things to be fixed.

8 Likes

One thing that I absolutely hate about the Monoliths is the nonexistent xp that they provide. Just quick stats. My lvl 93 lich, which started the new system with 1/3 xp bar completed, has leveled exactly 1 full level in 320 successful monolith runs between the first 5 timelines. Even If I was completing the lvl 55 timeline, there is no way it should be this slow(I spent at least half the runs on the lvl 80 timeline).

I can level up this much in arena in under an hour.

2 Likes

Ok, so I think I play enough for today, here some quick feedback o my experience.

I dont want to go back on a need to a checkpoint, I think this is needed incontestably, under some form of paying for gold or maximum 3 resets or something, whatever would work to make it less tedious and stressful.

I play Lich lvl 80+ to put in some perspective.
After hitting a wall for two days on the first boss of the 55 timeline I finally got him by increased my necro resi to 65% and getting better at mechanics - the fight was rather easy this way

Going straight to the lvl 68, the echos runs are quite easy, but once arrived to the boss i got two shots. On my 3rd try I finally get him pretty easy because i adjusted my resistance to the void at 75% - Good feeling after beating it.

then I jumped to the lvl 80 timeline, the echos got harder but rather easy overall. Then got shit on by Lagon with 43 resi light - 32 cold. I only try once cause it took forever to get to the boss from this lvl, about 30+ echos

So the conclusion where I had quite a bit of fun progressing the timelines overall, beating bosses feel incredible, you really feel like you accomplished something, that’s good.

But the frustration won clearly over the fun.

Other than a need of checkpoint it is more the gearing process who frustrate me the most.

For each timelines I had to reroll all my gear to get the resistances appropriate for the final boss, thats boring as hell! I spent sooo muchtime gambling, crafting getting fractured, gambling again - repeat. Now i have to do the all process again and min max cold and lighting resistance for Lagon. I hate doing that this process

What I noticed, potentially, is the need to use the new Armo Woven Flesh to get your 85% GB then build your resi and crit avoidance all over you gear to try to min max to 60%+ everywhere to avoid changing your gear all the time . Then get most of your damage from the passive tree.

Or having multiple set of gear in your bank to change for each boss. In this case I can see it work but at the moment because there is no loot filter, every item as to be earn via gambling and crafting system, and doing this for hours to get attempt at a boss is just boring as hell.

I’d love some advice if I missing a big point here

3 Likes

Forgot to mentioned,

I think than the modifier are way too strong when facing the final boss, we can get pretty unlucky sometime, and that can fuck u up one or two hours of grinding echos in one second.

I Reckon we should have a choice to reset the modifier if we want before facing the boss, lowering greatly the loots of course and even the blessing, like putting a very low threshold on the affix for example.
And if people want extra challenge they can go with hard modifier, and getting high blessing, loots ect…

2 Likes

thanks a lot for your consideration and fast action to implement players’ feedback!
As an IT guys that is really agile :slight_smile:
Love it and continue the good work!

Wanted to test the new monolith system a bit before posting. Now i believe it is time to give my opinion also:

Keep in mind that it is based :

1. From the viewpoint of a player who DON’T have more that 2-3 hours daily to play

2. Have only tried with my lvl 93 FG char

So the pro’s of the new monolith are:

New maps
Interesting system with echoes and quests
Blessings, have seen 3 options so far, seems interesting

An now the cons:

Very few xp gained after each mono run, had 5.534.705 xp before lvl 55 mono run and 5.598.522 xp at end.

Due to low xp gained and very few good loot drops after some mono runs it becomes boring and you just start to rush to go to higher mono.

xp reward for Quests are too low , perhaps it is ok for a lvl 55 char but for a lvl 93 char with 5,5 mill xp an 1000-2000xp reward is …

lvl 55 boss, damage or his resistances must be nerfed seriously , it is very frustrating for a lvl 93 good equipped char ( did arena >200 waves) to have problems against a lvl 55 boss.

No checkpoint before the boss run, if you plan to leave the monolith progression as it is and resetting when a player die then that checkpoint is NEEDED, otherwise it becomes too frustrating.

Now i am doing mono lvl 68, i skipped lvl 62, the xp gains are better but not much better.

Final conclusion:

As it is now it is not so much fun to play my h.lvl chars, as it is i need to grind a lot to go to lvl 80-85 monoliths or higher to have enough xp gains to make it worth wile to spend my time playing my lvl 93 char.

A nice solution would be to unlock for high lvl chars all monoliths below their level .
So the player will have the option to play the lower lvl monoliths for their blessings when he want.

If you want us to unlock it as it is now, at least nerf the bosses damage and lower their resistance to higher lvl players so that the grind will be less frustrating and time consuming.

4 Likes

Yea, i mostly agree with your points. I will stop playing for now, since there wont seem to be changes to the one-try bosses anytime soon. Until then, it feels completely pointless to play.

3 Likes

Hi everyone, just wanted to chime in here again. The next hotfix is coming within the next day or two and will address the power of early Monolith bosses and Timelines completely resetting on death. The changes are in testing now.

11 Likes

Sounds good! :slight_smile: thanks to keep up us updated

I think the Abomination boss of timeline 1 would be fine if he didn’t move so fast. You can’t get away from him long enough to even hit the soul chambers, let alone destroy them. I made it to him once. Could not get the abomination off of me. He moved way too fast. Then, I managed to kill 2 of the soul chambers, the poison cloud that came on the ground wrecked me. I ran out of potions quickly and then just died. Quit the game at that point because it reset my monolith. I’ll get back to it at some point, but it was too much work lost to keep playing today.

(Off topic, the capital Q on here looks awesome. :smiley:)

1 Like