New Monolith System is frustrating

I understand, that it is supposed to be played from the very beginning like a “new start”, and that you dont get any XP when you start to play it with a already higher level character.

I got a level 76 beastmaster and i am trying to play through the black sun chapter (where i still get barely any XP). I got the first mission after ~7 monoliths. The second didnt show up within the next 15 monoliths.

That was the point where i died with 100% glancing blows and okayish res to a map loaded with fire golems. I played a few hours and got literally nothing out of it. And now i have to play 30+ monoliths again and pray that the mission pops up before the mods delete me?

After that i lost every motivation to play, checking on my other characters made me realize that i would have to start the monolith chapters from the very beginning (wtf?). Thats not even grinding, thats just trash. I cant see myself playing this game anymore with this kind of endgame, even tho i had high hopes in it and already played alot before this patch. Please dont let it stay like that.

10 Likes

Hm I think I understand your point, but then again. Maybe that’s also because it is being implemented in a situation like this. And after the release wipe and stuffs, it’s probably going to be a different thing. Plus, T5s and so on will drop much earlier, making those early Monolith grinds a thing that you will maybe experience from a different perspective or situation which is not one that has already gear and lvl from nowhere, but you get there by doing that which is now a grind-trash to you because you already start from a point that is the end or a later end of that very process.

But then again, maybe that’s an issue of changing systems and not of the system again. Start all fresh, and see if that’s again a problem for you I guess?

And I’m saying this after playing the lvl 55 montith to depth lvl 17 on my lvl 74 beast master yesterday and feeling the same “ush… How long till next?” thing, so I delayed further playtime to another day :stuck_out_tongue:

I think the biggest problem for me right now is the actual quest progress. The quests dont seem to queue deterministic and i think thats a really big problem. If i dont get the next quest within the next ~15 monoliths, theres a good chance i will get deleted. This has to be even worse on a fresh start. Dying at this stage really annihilates the motivation to play. I am actually liking the idea of a “progressive” endgame, but the current implementation makes me not want to play anymore. Which makes sad.

Why is that? Because of the gap? I think I died once yesterday on Monolith lvl 8 or 9 or so to a big Crit hit… I can’t remember though if the overall quest-progression has been reset? Hm

I am pretty sure the entire monolith progression of that stage gets reset. Iirc i had to do the same quests again.

Yeah this is a super frustrating mechanic and not fun at all. I was 20+ echoes deep in a timeline and the boss at the end decided to disappear at half health. Instantly have to reset back to 0 echoes and lost all progress through no fault of my own.

+1 for this topic, usually I am the kind of player who enjoys exploring and 100% clearing every map. After few hours in new monolith system, I was just rushing through, since I felt like the whole experience is pointless for me, zero exp gained, items with random stats that are useless in majority of cases, at some point I just gave up checking what dropped and just rushed through levels for unknown reason.

I am level 79 and rushing through unscaled monolith 55, zero dmg from enemies no matter how “buffed” the enemies are, then with that kind of confidence I encountered the boss (abomination which I believe is the last in this monolith), and he pretty much oneshot me.

Moral of the story, you let your guard down because you play 20lvl lower content where enemies deal zero dmg, then stumble upon a boss who slices you in half with one hit, after which you are thrown back to the beginning of a useless and pointless playthrough. To top it off the quest reward 1000g and 1000 experience is an insult compared to the experience I am forced to grind on this difficulty. At this point it’s just playing for the sake of playing.

2 Likes

Same here, I love the idea and content, but how I am supposed to progress now that I’m 83??
I’ve made an arena run until wave 90, almost no xp, spent the whole evening in Mono, it’s a new lvl 55 zone now, only got 2 quests…same no xp, no loot, no progression.

I love LE but I wonder what can I do now, what will give me the motivation to play?

1 Like

As far as I am aware, we are forced to hit the target dummy (pointless low level enemies) until after few days by some divine intervention you get an item you can actually use for your build and if that divine intervention helps you again you will actually end up with item that wont fracture at 98% which will result in your progress on microscopic level.

Progresw to Monolith lvl 72+ and beyond? Whatever the next Monolith lvl is… :wink:

I agree with the general consensus here. I have over 1000+ hours in the game and am extremely disappointed in this patch and where the game seems to be going. Guess it’s time to revisit GD or POE.

2 Likes

I wish this game had a simple mapping system like other games where you could farm without weird difficulty scaling or risk of losing progress.

I just want to be able to jump into a map with random monsters at a difficulty appropriate to my level and gear.

4 Likes

I would if I felt the point. at this moment I feel like the game is punishing me for playing, Literally played for 5 hours for no reason at all

2 Likes

I think you are supposed to hit the monolith and endgame after you finish the campaign at level 55. Im playing monoliths now with a level 80 character, and of course I dont get any EXP.

I suppose it has a completely different feeling when I restart and start a new play through, wich this content is created for

Yes and i can understand that point. But the extreme gamble on missions and the possibility to not get any missions till the mods delete you and losing literally every progress for that monolith stage, is ruining the endgame. I wish they would change it really quick or take that part of the patch back.

I hope they add a higher drop chance of spesific items to a timeline aswell. Feks This timeline has a higher magic dropchance of weapons, armor etc. But then again, you have the blessings. But this would imo give the player some motivation to play the timelines and target spesific loot

We hear your frustration. The monolith system was definitely designed for starting it right after the campaign and we did not sufficiently account for players wanting to play with existing higher level characters. There is also understandable confusion from people assuming that the whole monolith is level 55 when in reality each timeline is a different level, and only the first one is level 55.

We’re considering the following changes for a hotfix to address this

• Remove the experience penalty for being a higher level than the zone for all zones above level 53.
  • Make the quest echoes in the first timeline show up much earlier, so that players can more quickly progress to higher level timelines.
  • Reduce a source of unintuitively high damage in the first timeline’s boss fight so that players are less likely to die to that boss.
17 Likes

We’ll also be making the levels of timelines adjacent to those you have unlocked visible. For example if you only have the level 55 timelines unlocked you will also be able to see the levels of the level 62 and level 68 timeline. This is to make it clearer that there are different timelines with their own levels.

5 Likes

Thank you for your interest and fast reply! I can see, that you want to keep the scaling to a minimum for players to actually feel more progressive and “in touch” with the current content they are doing. I also see the problem of the current entry level of 55 because the campaign isnt complete yet/and/or people already got characters above that level anyway.

I think a good temporary solution would be indeed to remove the experience penalty for characters with higher levels. That could be a solution to one problem.

The other is the non-deterministic quest progress and either the lack of “checkpoints” in that progress, or the ability to gain access more than just once to those events (especially boss fights). I think a very good solution would be a deterministic questline. Like one quest every 5 or more echoes. I also think the player should be able to enter the quest/boss arena more than just once (i think PoE handles this pretty well). I do not like the idea of already tuning those boss fights down, at least not just yet. Players should get challenged, but not in the current one-way solution.

1 Like

I personally don’t have a problem with the reset on death. But the damage spike of the boss is just to heavy. I ran through the timeline twice now with my lvl 59 paladin. Echoes and quests easy doable. Abomination boss oneshoted me 2 times now. Tuning it down a bit is exactly what I think is needed.

The timeline is for lvl 55. So if you don’t have a problem with lvl 70+ chars that’s not the benchmark.

3 Likes