New Monolith System is frustrating

Haha same here, on my first time I got one shot breaking the 4 vessels
Second time, I lounge and got stock behind, and got one shot
3rd got one shot on phase two from returning projectiles
4th same returning projectiles

I honestly don’t mind the difficulty, I was going further every time, (I was going to adjust my necro resu for the next one)
but the process of starting over And earning no xp (+skills so low to lvl) just got frustrating as hell

1 Like

Finally the endgame has gotten exciting. It’s the first shot with new scaling and mechanics. As we are in EA theres much room for improvement and balancing. Just because it causes some frustration at the very beginning of public testing doesn’t mean “the devs killed anything”.

1 Like

I’m glad some fixes are going into place, I think those will help a lot for now and the future. This has been my first experience with the game that has soured me some, but I’m confident that the devs will figure it out.

I still think that there needs to be a little more done after these changes, that there needs to be checkpoints somewhere, either after every echo you beat (which I doubt they want to do) or after every quest is done.

It wouldn’t be so bad if the monoliths were 5 stages long to get to the final boss, but 20+ is a huge amount of gameplay without a chance to save your progress. That could be a few hours of time that you wasted because you made a mistake.

I do think this system of monoliths could be amazing once it gets all figured out. I give the devs a huge amount of credit for putting it altogether.

3 Likes

I can understand that dying with the feeling of not being able to do much against is frustrating at first. But i think from the mechanics itself, its not much more difficult than lagoon. I also think the feeling of frustration would turn more into a feeling of “i have to optimize something” if you would get more than just one try. Having to do 20+ echoes after failing once is indeed not acceptable.

2 Likes

If you follow other posts and threads there seem to be many people with a lot better gear and higher level that get oneshot by the boss.

Maybe theres also a bug that results in higher damage than expected.

Checkpoints may be a good idea. Maybe add a “buyback” for the bossfights.

Edit: Or repeat from the last quest echo.

0.7.9b will be coming very soon, but won’t contain these changes as they were made after the build process started.

0.7.9c will be coming shortly after that and will contain these changes.

2 Likes

Hmm, ok. If theres a bug or unintentional high dmg numbers it has to be fixed of course. I just dont want endgame bosses to be a cakewalk.

1 Like

Just a guess. No bug confirmed afaik.

I dont want the bosses to be easy, too. Challenge defenitely is ok.

1 Like

I want challenge, but I don’t want to be reset because I failed a challenge unless I’m playing something like Arena where that’s expected.

I think there’s better ways to do endgame without it being based on did you die or not.

4 Likes

I’ll put in my 2 cents. Bosses are insanely overtuned. On the black sun timeline (lvl 68), not only did it take me 30 echoes to finally get the quest getting hardly any experience on the way, i got one shot by the void boss (lvl 95 pal with 70% void resist and 850 hp). The boss has insane mechanics where you literally have to move the entire fight and if you get hit by anything, you get one shot (im assuming this as I had ZERO INTEREST in doing 30 echoes to try and attempt this boss again). And this is suppose to be level 68, which is 30 levels below my character.

9 Likes

I guess I am having some difficulty grasping how making my level 83 Lich run hours of level 55 maps is “exciting”.

6 Likes

Devs already admited, that they did a mistake in regards of many people using their already pretty high levle characters, it will get adjusted with the next patch.

But depending on how well your build does(so how often you die and need to start over) it does not takes “hours” to get to decently high level timelines.

Please also look into the damage of the other timeliness bosses as well. Thank you.

Wow! Cut & paste that for me. And I got ohk by the boss at level 89 and I was litterally doing almost no damage at all. Didnt even had the time to check if there was a mechanic to actually do damage to the boss. I guess i’ll try it back eventually. But I like the idea of this endgame mode. Promising.

I’d take PoE style mapworks over this any day. At least then I could fight content that is on my level whenever I want to.

2 Likes

Guys this is not the only end-game system the game will have. Comparing the Monolith with the map system of PoE doesn’t really make sense.

2 Likes

Yeah, they should have wiped everything before this patch so that everyone has to play the new mono as it is intended and can’t complain about something that actually won’t happen at release…

1 Like

I’m not talking for you as I seriously have no clue how your desires could ever be satisfied.

The following things I would define as exciting:

• new maps
  • added quests
  • permanent character buffs
  • challenging bossfights

It’s not my fault that you just can’t understand that normally it cannot happen that you have to play lvl 55 content with a overleveled char. This is just because the devs implemented a system with a set level difficulty during this testing phase while people leveled their chars in another system before.

Just wipe your chars and you will never ever have this problem. This is something they could have done to serve us the original game experience. They obviously decided against a character wipe with this patch that in result let’s you play lower level content with the characters and gear you were allowed to keep.

I can handle this little inconvenience, that will never occur to a new player that starts now.

3 Likes

I havent tried the new monolith yet. But can I clarify, once I unlocked higher level monoliths, I permanently unlock them? And can always start at the higher level monoliths?

Yep this is the key question. Once I am out of the level 55 (and possibly the next one) I never want to see them again. That said I gather there may be cause to rerun low level ones to get the blessings and drops you want that are exclusive to it? Yuck.

I have also now gone several echoes with only 1 quest popping which I gather is very unlucky and exacerbating the issue. I really think this new Monolith should have been added alongside the old one, but with a different name, rather than replacing it.

One further issue I have is that we have lost the efficient way to level our chars. After the first couple I had got into the habit of doing a very quick levelling regime that involved going straight to Monolith after End of Time (~level 26) then power levelling in there which was MUCH faster than levelling through campaign. Then finishing off campaign later when I could absolutely blast it, just to pick up the remaining Passives points and idol slots.

Now it seems every new character I level will have to go through the campaign in full from start to finish, which is rather tedious after the first couple. Great. :frowning:

The irony. No way I could stand to do that given what I just said above. Levelling new chars without the Monolith to help at level 26 is not something I could stand to do.[quote=“Madriax, post:52, topic:22710”]
Repeating monoliths will become “normal” as the blessing received at the end is a random “pick one from three”. For instance, on lvl 55 mono, you are offered blessings such as “5-15% more chance to find uniques” or “30 to 50% more adored idols drop”

Other blessings for the monos can include such things as increases to drop belts, helmets, gold etc. It is likely that players will do some monos repeatedly to get the blessings they want.
[/quote]

Wait, the blessing are all of the old Diablo-style “Magic find”? Please tell me that is not the case.

2 Likes