New Monolith System is frustrating

I wish this game had a simple mapping system like other games where you could farm without weird difficulty scaling or risk of losing progress.

I just want to be able to jump into a map with random monsters at a difficulty appropriate to my level and gear.

4 Likes

I would if I felt the point. at this moment I feel like the game is punishing me for playing, Literally played for 5 hours for no reason at all

2 Likes

I think you are supposed to hit the monolith and endgame after you finish the campaign at level 55. Im playing monoliths now with a level 80 character, and of course I dont get any EXP.

I suppose it has a completely different feeling when I restart and start a new play through, wich this content is created for

Yes and i can understand that point. But the extreme gamble on missions and the possibility to not get any missions till the mods delete you and losing literally every progress for that monolith stage, is ruining the endgame. I wish they would change it really quick or take that part of the patch back.

I hope they add a higher drop chance of spesific items to a timeline aswell. Feks This timeline has a higher magic dropchance of weapons, armor etc. But then again, you have the blessings. But this would imo give the player some motivation to play the timelines and target spesific loot

We hear your frustration. The monolith system was definitely designed for starting it right after the campaign and we did not sufficiently account for players wanting to play with existing higher level characters. There is also understandable confusion from people assuming that the whole monolith is level 55 when in reality each timeline is a different level, and only the first one is level 55.

We’re considering the following changes for a hotfix to address this

• Remove the experience penalty for being a higher level than the zone for all zones above level 53.
  • Make the quest echoes in the first timeline show up much earlier, so that players can more quickly progress to higher level timelines.
  • Reduce a source of unintuitively high damage in the first timeline’s boss fight so that players are less likely to die to that boss.
17 Likes

We’ll also be making the levels of timelines adjacent to those you have unlocked visible. For example if you only have the level 55 timelines unlocked you will also be able to see the levels of the level 62 and level 68 timeline. This is to make it clearer that there are different timelines with their own levels.

5 Likes

Thank you for your interest and fast reply! I can see, that you want to keep the scaling to a minimum for players to actually feel more progressive and “in touch” with the current content they are doing. I also see the problem of the current entry level of 55 because the campaign isnt complete yet/and/or people already got characters above that level anyway.

I think a good temporary solution would be indeed to remove the experience penalty for characters with higher levels. That could be a solution to one problem.

The other is the non-deterministic quest progress and either the lack of “checkpoints” in that progress, or the ability to gain access more than just once to those events (especially boss fights). I think a very good solution would be a deterministic questline. Like one quest every 5 or more echoes. I also think the player should be able to enter the quest/boss arena more than just once (i think PoE handles this pretty well). I do not like the idea of already tuning those boss fights down, at least not just yet. Players should get challenged, but not in the current one-way solution.

1 Like

I personally don’t have a problem with the reset on death. But the damage spike of the boss is just to heavy. I ran through the timeline twice now with my lvl 59 paladin. Echoes and quests easy doable. Abomination boss oneshoted me 2 times now. Tuning it down a bit is exactly what I think is needed.

The timeline is for lvl 55. So if you don’t have a problem with lvl 70+ chars that’s not the benchmark.

3 Likes

Which skill did oneshot you? The one where he pulls those souls and launches them after?

I think it’s a slash skill in my experience

Thanks for addressing this quickly, will the hotfix for this be released soon?

Yeah, exactly. The damage seems to increase during the fight. After destroying the first of the 4 things in the corners I get oneshot.

Also i can’t target these things with warpath and have to click somewhere on the ground. Lunging at those things also can get me stuck. Have to make a bug report.

Amazing, that’s exactly what we need right now

I got the same awful experience than others
Played for 4+ hours straight, tried 3 of my strongest character lvl 70+

I got destroyed so hard from the first boss so it wasn’t even funny. And of course no xp earn. Extremely frustrating experience

I know its annoying to read, but i think you are actually supposed to avoid that damage completely. I mean its an endgame boss. Oneshots are not necessarily bad if they are predictable and i think that one actually is. Did you beat it after your first 2 tries?

Not yet. I will stack some more necrotic prot before trying next.

I know it’s a telegraphed attack and may be avoided. But this fight feels to heavy at a certain point. I dodge some of these attacks and also catch some. They don’t do that much damage but all of a sudden the next attack kills me.

1 Like

I agree.

New Monolith is an utter bore. Devs just killed their endgame.

Haha same here, on my first time I got one shot breaking the 4 vessels
Second time, I lounge and got stock behind, and got one shot
3rd got one shot on phase two from returning projectiles
4th same returning projectiles

I honestly don’t mind the difficulty, I was going further every time, (I was going to adjust my necro resu for the next one)
but the process of starting over And earning no xp (+skills so low to lvl) just got frustrating as hell

1 Like

Finally the endgame has gotten exciting. It’s the first shot with new scaling and mechanics. As we are in EA theres much room for improvement and balancing. Just because it causes some frustration at the very beginning of public testing doesn’t mean “the devs killed anything”.

1 Like

I’m glad some fixes are going into place, I think those will help a lot for now and the future. This has been my first experience with the game that has soured me some, but I’m confident that the devs will figure it out.

I still think that there needs to be a little more done after these changes, that there needs to be checkpoints somewhere, either after every echo you beat (which I doubt they want to do) or after every quest is done.

It wouldn’t be so bad if the monoliths were 5 stages long to get to the final boss, but 20+ is a huge amount of gameplay without a chance to save your progress. That could be a few hours of time that you wasted because you made a mistake.

I do think this system of monoliths could be amazing once it gets all figured out. I give the devs a huge amount of credit for putting it altogether.

3 Likes