Loot Filter confusion

I’m seriously confused how this system works. I made a ruleset that does exactly what I THOUGHT I wanted it to do…and saved it …made it active…and nothing I selected is working how the filter should work, on top of that no shards for the forge were dropping either until I shut it off…then I looked at a filter someone made up and posted on forums and saw he had like 35 rulesets for 1 loot filter system and I was like wtf is going on?! They shoulda had a newbie guide written up and posted in the guide section inside game like they did for everything else to explain how this system works…the 1 window that pops up doesn’t tell you anything really.

1 Like

There is some basic official info shared in this video:

I actually have a guide here if you are interested

I have to agree. In this current state LE loot filter is both unintuitive and complicated. Achieving similar results (when possible) than what other loot filters offer in other games is a lot less user friendly.

At first i wanted to make a loot filter to hide everything below blue rarity past level 20. And then, among items that would match this rule i wanted to only have those that would have had at least 2 affixes among those that i am looking for. This is where it started to go wrong with this current loot filter proposal.

Also what’s the point of the ‘show’ tag ? So far i ve been forced to use the ‘hide’ one to successfully hide stuff (and i never succeeded at hiding stuff the way i would have wanted to). I would ve imagined that if something doesn’t match with the current ‘show’ rule then it would ve been hidden but no, it isn’t and you re forced to use the hide tag instead which takes a lot longer to set correctly only to achieve a result that hidding stuff that wouldn’t have matched with the ‘show’ rule would…

This filter needs a ‘if’ and a ‘then’ condition similar to some programing language or it’ll remain mostly unsuitable for extensive use.

I hope that they ll drastically rework their loot filter before release.

I’ve not tried manually creating a loot filter in PoE, but I presume that it’s not exactly easy? GD’s filter is easy as pie but doesn’t give anywhere near as much control as LE’s. Hopefully they can find a better middle ground.

I started to figure it out, the video is helpful…but you didn’t need to make seperate hide rules for each class specific you wanted hid…you can select multiples on the same rule, so you can have 1 rule that hides the 4 class specifics you don’t want to drop by selecting all 4 at once.

Yeah the Hide / Show rules is what confused me as well…I did a SHOW ruleset of the things I wanted to show, but everything kept showing up anyways…it’s really dumb that you have to make hide rulesets to GET RID of the stuff you don’t want to show when dropped

This is actually more friendly towards unexperienced players, since you will nto deny you any potential valueable loot.
You need to deliberatly hide stuff. That is the way it should be.

I didn’t watched his video, but i assume that he made the video on a different version, where there were some minor things not working exactly the same as they do now.

This is a good video to start with for someone that has no clue about how to use such a thing but this is also a video that is presenting poorly ‘optimized’ filters to be honest.

And sadly the most important part is that it doesn’t point at the fact that the loot filter is missing some key features to be of any use.

Right now if any affix that you haven’t set to hide is on an item then this item ll be displayed even if all other affixes on it are pointless. For exemple if you ve set a hide rule for any item type but swords then the single fact that an item is a sword ll have it being displayed despite the fact that it would have needed to match with a lot more conditions to be revelant.

The HIDE / SHOW is a redundant system. If you select only certain things you want SHOWN to you when dropped…then those should be the ONLY things shown when dropped…the HIDE function is just redundant since I already deselected what I DIDN’T want shown when dropped through the SHOW ruleset.

1 Like

I say it again, you can really easily brick your gamepaly experience, when hiding stuff that you are not aware of, that is strong/good

You just need to add ONE simple rule to hide all, which is no big effort. But it should be made deliberatly!

3 Likes

imho it’s there because it allows us to write otherwise “complex” filtering rules
by making separate non-complex rules and then define the filter by the order the rules are applied…
soz my english

Yup. I’ve said this before. But so many people don’t realise this.

3 Likes

Hey everyone! Just wanted to chime in and say we’ll be monitoring feedback on the loot filter, so please do keep it coming.

However, keep in mind that specific examples will make it much easier to understand what you’re expecting the loot filter to do and how we can address your concerns. Ideally, you would provide a screenshot and/or attach your Loot Filter file directly, and then describe what items are or aren’t showing up that you didn’t expect.

Once we have more precise feedback there are a number of things we can do, such as adding new functionality, adjusting existing functionality, re-organizing the menus, or just offering clarifications in game.

Thanks!

4 Likes

I stated why I did that in the video. As well otnis how I like to do it and I like to be thorough and very strict with my filters

There is no tutorial, yet. This makes it a bit complicated for some people. But most of the complaints like “the lootfilter doesnt work” or “this and that is not possible” is just because people do not realise how some things can be done.

I see many people complain about the filter not hiding everything by default. But to accomplish this you only need one rule that says “hide all”.

So there are 2 ways to set the filter up:

1. select everything you dont wanna see in “hide” rules - as @Heavy stated this may be the best approach for inexpierienced players because you dont hide things accidently
  2. put a “hide all” rule on the very bottom of your filter, than set “show” rules for all other stuff you wanna see - this way you may accidently hide items you forgot to select in one of your show rules

Consider to not make one big rule and put everything in. All conditions in a rule are not “and”, but “or” related. This would be a cool feature to have.

But there’s a workaround for this. Lets take an example: you want to find only one handed swords that have crit AND melee phys damage on it, your filter needs to look like this:

• hide all item types but one handed swords
  • hide items with everything but crit and melee phys damage (check all affixes to hide, uncheck the affixes you want to see)
  • show items with crit
  • hide all

The filter reads from buttom to the top. It hides everything. Then it shows all items with a crit affix. Out of this pool it hides all items that don’t have exactly crit and melee phys on it. (You will only get items with these exact two affixes. If a third affix is on the item, it’s hidden. So you need also to define all other affixes that you would also accept on your item.) The last rule now hides all items that are not a sword.

There’s near to nothing that does not work on this filter. Maybe its a bit complicated to set up at first. For this reason there are already presets availible that were created by other users. You can use thes for playing or learning how things work.

There will certainly be some improvements in the future. For now there are people here that can provide help with how to set up the filter like you want.

@Hackaloken Maybe it might be a good idea to create a seperate Lootfilter forum section where people can ask for specific functions (like “I wanna set up , how do i do that?”) and others can help with that. Just an idea.

Cheers

1 Like

I’m kind of confused. If the loot filter is complicated, why not just change the colors of the items/affixes you want? I don’t really care too much about hiding items as much as I care about highlighting items I do want. It’s much simpler this way until you can figure out a ruleset that works for you.

Alternatively I think maybe a checkbox that can “hide all” would be useful. That way people can check that box and work on using the “show” conditions.

1 Like

Same question here. Think players are the ones over complicating it.

Hide large groups of stuff like for example all “normal” items. Then highlight all the things you want to pop out. Other than bugs I never had an issue doing it this way.

The missing key element of this current loot filter version is that you can’t mix multiple conditions that must be matched.

For exemple:

Starting at mid level chances are that an item with only one single affix that could interest you won’t be good enough. You ll be looking for items that have couple affixes that interest you, not just a single one. So we need a condition that says that the rule is only set to true if it matches X (X being the number of matched conditions) conditions among those selected.

Concretely i d like to be able to have rules to only display items that have at least X (2, 3, 4 or more depending of my needs) corresponding affixes among those that are potentially interesting me on them and not just a single one as it works in this current loot filter version which make the use of the loot filter quite uninteresting.

Are you sure?
Its exactly the opposite. It reads from top to bottom until finds first matching rule.