Enemies Do Too Much Damage?

Me and a friend were talking about how enemies do too much damage. I’m literally doing monolith levels like 15 to 20 and the one hit I don’t block from an enemy either one shots me or almost one shots me, this is also at 65% resistances. I’m fine with a challenging game, but this isn’t challenging it’s overkill.

7 Likes

Well, defense is king in this game atm, not sure if this will change drastically. 15-20 Monolith is already “above average” i would say, so not the majority of people will come that far, so i would already count that as pretty far.

That’s said, if you going MoF 15+ and wanna go even higher 65% protections and block, as i can read from your statement is not enough of defensive layers i would say.
There are alot of other defensive layers in this game, namely the 2 most important defensive layer for ANY build, Glancing Blow and Critical Strike Avoidance.
Especially Glancing Blow is really easy to max and is a very reliably defensive layer, while Critical Strike Avoidance is really good for those big spikey damage.(often times those hits that caught you offguard and one-shotted you)

Also there are even more defensive mechanisms, like “%less damage taken”, which is multiplicative, so one or 2 sources of that are enough.

TL:DR: currently you need to stack alot more defensive layers than just protections and block to reliably survive endgame

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve been going for glancing blow, but those damn idols for it never drop.

15 to 20 being above average seems kinda of lame and unsatisfying for being considered above average considering how fast you can get there. Not to mention it’s clear that enemies do too much damage if you need a shield to survive.

It feels the viability of different play styles are being limited too. I originally wanted to do a 2 handed void knight build, but once I got to late campaign that went down the drain.

5 Likes

I’m not sure MoF is meant to run into high streaks of 100+ like arena. My guess is that devs have plans for MoF and the plans not implemented yet might explain why the scaling in MOF is the way it is.

1 Like

Agree with you, they should make viability for 2h builders, atm, at i have saw in sentinel, theres no much viability for 2h builders (people with more experience can correct me if is possible to make a 2h build), but would be good more options for 2h nodes etc, the only ones i saw in sentinel was some nodes in warpath, at least (for skill tree options), about passive trees for paladins (i can only give my opinion about paladins, only play paladin), i didnt saw a single one about 2h builders in paladin passive tree.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s just my impression. I would consider myself a pretty decent player and i never achieved consistent 30+ runs on any build.

But i do agree that generally survival/defensive aspects via build/affixes seem to be like 75% of your build just do get as high. Would also prefer some offensive/hybrid affixes like hp/lifeleech etc be more viable, especialy considering 2H builds etc.

Yeah devs already said that MoF is just a fracture of what is should/will be atm.
I think devs said that internally they call it “Minilith” because it’s not as its full glance now.

if you’re looking for GB on idols, you will probably struggle to hit 100% chance. keep an eye out for the Enduring prefix. it’s the name of the “Set GB chance per item with this affix” shard and it’s what you should aim for to reach 100%. it seems fairly rare as a shard but i always find plenty of items to shatter.

i also don’t think shields are necessary (although they are pretty strong as an extra defense layer when you have enough block chance and efficiency.) GB, dodge, crit avoidance and a large life pool are more consistent in my experience. there are still some abilities that will wreck you without some protections or “less damage taken” (from skills, nodes or items). siege golem’s flamethrower or aoe blast for instance are always scary.

I’m surprised you find dodge more consistent than block/armour/protections, since dodge is the very definition of RNG/spikeyness.

i should clarify that i don’t really do arena, so i’m not the authority on survivability. i also tend to roll new chars after doing a bit of endgame content with them because i’m just so fascinated with trying out different builds. but in my limited experience, i’ve had a much easier time leveling with chars that focus on dodge than the ones where i’ve tried using block and prots.

i haven’t given prots a full-blown effort either. after reading up on them and seeing that they are just flat damage reduction instead of the percentage the character sheet implies, i stopped really trying to use them. i’ve seen that most builds that focus on them end up with like 2-3k prots by endgame and i haven’t gotten close to that level so maybe they are more useful by that point. it’s on my checklist to revisit a build that fully invests in protections so maybe i’ll change my tune.

i think my love of dodge (and the inherent risk of it failing due to RNG) is how i get the adrenaline fix that others achieve by playing HC. i can’t stand losing progress due to HC death, so i have to get the juice somehow. :slight_smile:

Think mobs hit so hard in MoF/Arena to try and compensate for all the various defence mechanics.

My VK had 100% GB,CSA > 65% Dodge > 45% block > 82-89% Armour and protection. And even with the vengeance buff of 80% damage reduction, I had to be very careful (There is a moment where vengeance is vulnerable) I got to wave 57 in 0.7.7 before I inspected the carpet!

Personally i don’t mind enemies being strong doing a lot of dmg. I like it when the game is challenging and you need to adjust your playstyle around bosses or hard hitting monsters (for example using movement skills or like in wolcen the roll to dodge hard hitting attacks). The only thing i don’t like are weird one shot mechanics or deaths a la PoE where at the end you have no clue what basically killed you because of the current speed of the game and the overwhelming visuals (especially delirium league). I really like that LE shows you what attack or dmg type killed you, so you can adjust your defenses around it.
Right now i see the problem more related to the high amount of hp (especially white monsters) The longer the fight lasts, the higher the chances are that you get rekt by a monster due to loosing focus or too many effects on the screen.

1 Like

Even back in the time with 100% block chance, 90% protections, 85% block protections, 100% glancing blow as well as 100% crit avoidance I was randomly oneshot by white enemys at monolith 50+. As soon as the enemys outscale you by a small percentage they’ll start oneshotting you. It’s a beta and they need to work on scaling because the scaling curve is pretty much terrible for melee toons.

1 Like

IDK If anyone else had this problem but for me and my friend while playing at some point we just couldn’t progress the campaign anymore and it was due to the fact our skills just couldn’t kill the rares/boss or it took forever. I know that crafting is important but I always feel that no matter what build someone decides to build they should be able to go through the campaign with only some difficulty. Unlike with Last Epoch where if you don’t play a specific play style (primarily using a shield) you’ll just die and deal no damage. I enjoy this game a lot but the Damage scaling and output of enemies are ridiculous in my opinion and would like some sort of change does for the campaign primarily (idk if it makes a difference to arena or monolith). I think everyone should be able to beat the main campaign with what ever stupid stuff they wanna try out instead of being “welp I just got one shotted and deal no damage to that guy so i’ll just ignore him”, I see a lot people saying uniqies and rare enemy’s are just to tanky and they just ignore which i hate to do or that they don’t see the usefulness of unique items and set pieces cause they need to craft resistances to live.

This is just my opinion and some of my friends input and would like to see some change does about this eventually.

2 Likes

I kinda disagree with you.

I dont think you should be able to complete the campaign with any build, bcoz this would then lead you to being completely stomped once you start endgame. And lets be honest most people play ARPGs for the endgame loot farming, not for the campaign. I think the difficulty should ramp up gradually so you can get used to it and once you finish the campaign you are somewhat ready for endgame.

Though i agree that currently the game has a massive difficulty spike when you return to divine, which can definitely lead to frustration. There should be a difficulty increase in imperial era too and maybe the difficulty spike in divine era can be toned down a bit to give a smoother difficulty curve

1 Like

I’m a believer of that if someone wants to take a certain skill and make it their main focus and then end up not being do much with that skill kinda is a kill joy. Yes ARPG whole point is the endgame, but i’d like to be able to take my stupid idea and be able to do like 10 waves of arena and 2-4 monoliths and i would be like yeah i did it, but just going through the campaign you just get destroyed cause you need protection more than anything you couldn’t play like a full damage build cause you’ll just die before you can ever do the damage.

this is just all philosophy on how someone plays, but ultimately enemies have to big flaws.

1. The damage they deal is to high and forces a lot builds to be the same

2. the HP scalling on enemies are to high as some White name enemies are so tanky you just ignore them.

If anyone who reads this post agrees with the majority of whats being said please vote on this thread and maybe the Devs will see it and comment/change something.

1 Like

I kinda agree with you, there’s balance & what the devs intention is for a particular skill is in there as well. I tried making a Rebuke forge guard & just ended up using Hammer Throw for most of the time as Rebuke just felt painful (or maybe I was doing it wrong).

Without knowing what your builds were, it’s difficult to comment. It feels that it’s the devs desire that tankiness is more important than dps & I kinda like that for it being different to the other aRPGs around at the moment.

Edit: Though they could definitely do with smoothing out the difficulty between acts 6, 7 & 8 so it’s not as much of a shock…

1 Like

There are different builds with different merits and flaws. A Druid that playes for entangling roots as a main dmg spell will be terrible. A Druid that goes for different skills and use them accordingly will work better. If you make a couple of “mistakes” when you choose the skills to use and end up with a terrible setup it’s the players fault and not the games fault.

There are skills adding to each other and benefit of each other and you’ll reach a synergy that is great. If you do what you like and your only statement is: “This needs to work because I like it to work!” it’s your fault :). No offence intended mate but a naked tank with a pointy stick as a weapon is a worse tank then the guy in plate armor with a shield and a sword. Even if the naked guy is your most liked fantasy things go south for you unless you play a slayer in warhammer ^^.

Yes all skills should be viable BUT not as a stand alone version. It’s valid to make usefull skillbuilds and make/get the best equipment possible. If anything isn’t in order the whole calculation won’t work. There are a lot of reasons from mechanics to balancing that matter a lot in hack and slays even if people dislike the meta ;).

1 Like

I’m not saying a single skill to do it all Just a major theme when playing, and am not saying that its should work cause i want it to work. it just comes down to a majority of builds to play past a certain point requires a focus on maximizing protection over everything, like I’d like to play mage as an example which is usually a damaged focus profession in most other games, if you don’t focus resistances and protection over your damage you end up feeling useless and powerless to the enemies around you. This is just from my person experience and am in not place to say this for everyone I simply put in my input on the Topic and believe some balancing change might be called for, or maybe not and I’m wrong. I love playing this game it is just a little infuriating that if i don’t have majority protections above 65% i just will die.

I think i’ll stop trying to explain my issues and just say I agree with the title of the thread and would like change.

1 Like

No you explained it very well there :). What you say is true. You need to have a certain protection treshold to survive the game. Like maxing resis in PoE or Diablo. This is something rather old and protections in this game only increase your eHP vs a certain dmg type instead of offering dmg reduction. From my point of view this is a big issue because the damage of the enemys scale harder then the rotections ever will.

If you look into some guides most players stack set protections, set dodge, set HP, GB and CA. This already takes up a lot of slots in crafting but then again there are no equaly good other options.

Your mage example is valid for a lot of games but untill the Ward nerfs mages have been the tankiest ingame. LE is a simple game and outside the passive and the skills not very well thought through as much as i can tell. EVERYONE needs to be a tank with a little dmg every here and there. That’s a boring setup but in reality it mirrors most other ARPGs because you need a certain ammount of tank to make your way to the endgame.

Right now I’m pretty sure they will balance the game later on but I think it’ll be problematic non the less.

Not to be pedantic, but protections do offer damage reduction, it’s just based on the relative ratio of your hp:protection.