Enemies Do Too Much Damage?

I realy don’t think so. If you do a level 1 monolith and strip your protections in half a same level enemy still don’t do 50% more dmg. On the other hand you get oneshot sometimes if the enemys do 10% more dmg to the enemys you faced before. There might be a bug but I still think something is off ^^. Just do the math 95% prot vs the dmg type 100% GB 100% crit avoidance and getting oneshot at ~700HP. I don’t even bother to calculate the dmg the white enemys hit me with ^^.

Something is definitely wrong, I have just done the maths!

The level 1 are hitting for a little over about 500 base damage (if you have reduced you prots by 50%). And the ones with 10% damage bonus they’re hitting for about a base damage of 2.1k, when you have all your res!?!? That’s how much it takes for them to get past your GB and Res. Keep in mind with the 100% CSA that’s means its all flat damage!

Looks to me like 100% bonus is being applies instead of 10%. I think this needs investigating!

i agree that you NEED to use a defense mechanism to not be 1 shotted or to survive the damage you get after some point.
As the game now is you must balance between defense and offense with a bit more focus on defense and that removes a great deal of enjoyment for a lot of people.

I could suggest some changes with the strength, int, dexterity, attunement and vitality main stats we have and to REMOVE the crit avoidance and glancing blow stats, it would be difficult to make these changes for the developers but it is still beta so why not?

Strength would give hp and armor where the more hp you get will not punish you lowering resists and where armor would give you also protections (vit and elemental).

Dexterity would give you dodge and protections

Int would give you spell damage, mana and protections

Attunement, remove that completely.

Vitality would give hp and protections (elemental and vit protections).

Now depending of your class you will get more benefit from increasing a specific stats over some other.

Example pure melee stat will get 5% hp and armor increase from each point in strength while getting only 1% spell damage and mana from each int stat.

A pure mage class will get 5% spell damage and mana increase from each int and only 1% from each str invested.

Hybrids would get 2% or 3% benefit from str or int, etc.

the above % increases in stats is just an example, could be adjusted.

Vitality would be the all arounder, giving a specific % increase in protections.

That would make it a much easier and more understandable for the majority.

If you can not to these changes as they will change to many things in the game then at least

1. remove that more hp, less protection thing
  2. remove glancing blow
  3. reduce damage of mobs dots to at least 50-70% or change the protections (elemental and vital) to reduce dot damage.
1 Like

If monsters are doing double damage with a 10% more damage boost then something really wrong. Recommend you go bug report it with name of the monsters etc.

This wasn’t me, was in answer to @Irrelevant post.

As they shouldn’t. The amount of extra damage you take from having lower protections depends on your hp. The more hp you have relative to protections the less effect protections have therefore the less additional damage you take. Conversely, the less hp you have the more damage you would take from halving your protections.

https://imgur.com/Y4Huw7k

I’ve added in an example using your figures. You’re seeing such a large increase in damage because you’re well into the diminishing returns on protections.

I think you (or maybe me) might be misunderstanding what Macknum is saying.

-First Monolith:- Is if he reduces his prots in half ( so 47.5%) he takes half is life as damage, per hit from a white mob!
-Then the second monolith. He is restoring his prots are full (95%), and mobs have an extra 10% damage bonus, and is being one shot! By the same mobs!

Well that’s very odd.

If what you are saying that the protection resist been increased from 47.5% to 95% then with everything that happening the damage increase in monolith 2 is at a minimum
2x(1-0.95)/(1-0.475)=2x10.5 =21 times that of the first.
That a sign that there’s something massively wrong somewhere as there no way the damage should spike that much if true.

1 Like

Slighty confused why you’ve used 95% on the top & 4850% on the bottom of that equation. After noticing an error on my original table (displayed the damage mitigated figure in the damge taken column), I’ve corrected it & added in a section for the likely damage you took. In any event, given you had 100% crit avoidance, you shouldn’t have died to the hit, even though it could have been anywhere up to ~67% higher (since the mob damage is randonly rolled on a 75% - 125% range, just like ours is).

https://imgur.com/hqtkQSl

This will 100% stop me from playing this game. My reasoning for that, is that it is precisely why I stopped playing PoE.

imo it’s just lack of imagination. That’s their answer to stopping players from stomping game.

It’s still a Beta so I’m okay with it and I can’t pin down the problems I run into. I did a lot of testeing with the monolith in the past after waves 50. Even then I had monolith runs where I increased the overall % dmg of enemys by 3% walked into a map where enemys hit for 3 dmg before and the first white enemy oneshotted me with a auto. That 3% dmg increase incresed the dmg of the enemys a lot because I had a little over 1k resis full Gb and over 85% resis but CA wasn’t a thing back then. That 3% increase in dmg was more like a 900% increase ^^.
Sadly it takes to long to do all this stuff in monolith because you need to find the same enemys and equip and reequip gear and I need to overcapp CA and GB by a lot so I can change some items arround to keep CA and GB up at 100% while having no dodge and almost the same HP so my resis scale in a controllable way.
So if I go the “Protections = more eHP” route for the ease of the matter I simply can tell the minimum dmg of the enemy. Again this is an observation I don’t have the time to test this hundrets of times just to have some kind of proof so the error may be on my end.

This game is already too far gone to ever get rid of oneshots. They barely paid attention to the threads trying to stop offscreen and untelegraphed oneshots.

Think about it: You have exponentially scaling damage on most builds, you have life steal and health regen that can be scaled to = instant regen, you have taunts, dashes, potions, % increased mods on gear, and nodes that double defences or increase them by %.

All this means that if you want to kill a player, it must be instant or they never die. It also must be instant or they will kill the monster instantly and never die (see all the top tier builds).

This is an action RPG identical to POE, and it will go down the same path. Next they will find more ways for the terrain to kill you, then they will have the loot kill you and so on.

The only way to stop this is to get rid of or radically change most mechanics in the game. Not gonna happen.

They could just nerf enemy damage and if the defensive mechanics are too good they can nerf those too. It will take the devs some testing to get the right balance to make the game fun, but it’s definitely possible.

I do like games with a challenge, but my point is that enemies do too much damage to the point where some build aren’t viable and even the tankiest of builds get one shotted. I also do agree that enemies have too much hp, it’s annoying.

2 Likes

I don’t think mobs do that much damage persay. But I do think the flow of the game is off. Mainly due to how mobs skills work on certain mobs, mainly white mobs. It just feels weird to run through maps and have white mobs with giant hp pools, weird skills, and skills that can hit you off screen. Rare and magic mobs I could see. Pretty sure I’ve been one hit by more white mobs than magic or rare. Pacing is what I say needs to be adjusted.

1 Like

Nice exageration there…

I don’t understand how you can say that LE is an ARPG identical to POE an therefore will follow the same path…
Would you also mean that all the ARPG will have to follow POE path ?

What makes you think that this game will be like POE (power creep everyhere and one shotting the whole screen) ?
POE is a +7 years old game, and we’re talking here about a game still in beta. Yet, you boast that it will be the same as POE…

1 Like

This is very weird, i NEVER get One Shotted with my sentinel build (even vs rare mobs), with GB and CA maxed, huge protections, less dot damage taken and if you have those new affixes necrotic+poison damage on armor, you basically can’t die from dots. Edit : i should say that i play forge guard which got up to 30% dmg reduction when, multiplicative with the vengeance 36% damage reduction…

White mobs barely scratch me, which type of mobs “One Shot” you ?
You never mentionned them

I made a mistake of typing the %age instead of the decimal that all fixed it now.