Crafting/Fracturing Mechanic

I like this idea, maybe give them -5-10 instability so you get at least 1 or two crafts before you start getting instability.

I also think that the run of removal works in a similar way to shattering, each tier of an affix increases the chance of that affix being chosen over a lower tier affix (like how a t5 affix can give you up to 5 shards).

I use it all the time and havent noticed that. If I get an item with T5 rare roll and T1 Armor for example, ill use the rune of removal and it seems 50% to me, the main reason is I mainly use Removals on high affixes paired with garbage, ive failed plenty but it seems about even to me

Plenty of fractures at 90% though

I logged in to check something and noticed I have 16424 shards

I wonder about my stash now. Will check when I get home! That seems like a shit ton of shards, but it might just be my perception. Impressive none the less (to me.)

I seen in a boardman21 video he had over 4million gold, which is nearly 3x what I have, so im sure he probably has loads more

I’d vote up this idea too… Would be great it there were drops more suited to crafting either through a negative instability or special added “stability affix” on top of the usual ones…

FYI, Mike’s done some tests & it’s looking like the fractures are happening correctly.

Something like chrono item would be cool to be in game , lose instability over time

I do believe there was a gold glitch/bug/whatever you want to label it that people used back in the day to get rich. Don’t use their gold as a judgement of their playtime/etc. Just an open fyi. :slight_smile:

Or they play lots of high level monoliths & arena back in the day. I’ve got 1.2m & don’t have anywhere near the play time that Boardman et al have & most of that came with a few pushes of the area on my Shield Throw Forge Guard.

Yea, my Void Knight a year ago required 1,0,0,00,00.00 gold to respec which I managed to farm relatively fast unless my memory is playing tricks on me.

Yeah, I’ll agree it’s one or the other. Speaking of, I got to looking and I have most of the items you went over in your ignite shield throw sentinel. That many ignite applications intrigues me. Think I’ll give it a throw. :slight_smile:

Pretty sure I didn’t post a build thread for my ignite Pally…

Yeah, I guess you’re right. I recall reading about an ignite shield throw Sentinel and I guess I thought it was you. Something like 1500% ignite chance. Apologies! Your love for the sentinel might have been why i figured it was you. But again, apologies for the mix up. Now I want to find it and see who it was!

Can I just say that most of the “fractures at 90%” is due to the inherent 1/10 chance. It is actually supposed to be that frequent.(which is the problem)

You tend to hover at 95 then 90 then 85 when starting out, this is actually a 27% chance of fracture when you combine each roll. No wonder everyone complains that they get a fracture at a high %. The more times you try to craft the more likely it gets that you are to get a fracture along the way, it would be this way even if instability was removed entirely.

With this crafting system to get anything good you need to get lucky 5-10 times in a row with the crafting AFTER getting lucky with a drop that has the right affixes. Even with a ton of grinding for gear/shards you may never see results due to bad luck, bricking tons of items along the way - this will have a psychological effect over the long run, most likely a negative one.

There are other games that do not have this issue to such an extent yet have a decent crafting system, they do this by either requiring a good deal of resources and/or by making the rng not prevent further crafting(such as PoE, where you can keep trying to get a good roll, in exchange for crafting materials- or chronicon, which just costs a lot of money to reroll until you get the right affixes then a lot to get them to the max)

The crafting system in this game punishes players for using it instead of rewarding them for spending time grinding. The fact that it is framed as “this is your chance of NOT bricking your item” instead of “this is your chance of getting something good” is probably the source of most players complaints.

1 Like

I think I’m on board with @doombybbr .

While I enjoy the gambling aspect of making your good gear better, there is a point to which it is a punishment system and not a reward system.

I would bet that by release the “damaging” or “destructive” fractures will be a ghost story we tell the noobs that never played beta.

Not being able to enchant up an item is punitive enough, let alone it becoming completely unusable.

This is why I still am holding on to the very few Minion Reflect (Splintering) and Minion DOT damage (Sorrowful) shards I have. I’m not going to use them until i get a purple that is worth using them on.

We shouldn’t be encouraged to hoard our shards for that ONE item that is so very unlikely to drop.

You state that the player experiences being many times “lucky”( which I assume is a good thing) and then a single time “unlucky” - why are you discounting the many times over a single time and how do you reach the inference of the overall experience being negative?

This is mathematical inadequacy and statistical illiteracy amplified by availability heuristic.

My solution to this problem or at least the starting point is to hide the numbers - in fact I will make a brave statement right now and state that in some day in the future the numbers will be removed from the crafting screen - it’s simply inevitable.

1 Like

While you are likely correct, you are talking about “normal” people & statistics are difficult for “normal” people.

That would, unfortunately, be even worse, you’d be removing all “player agency” & knowledge & just replacing it with a system where the player gets hit by a (metaphorical) stick randomly with no warning. If you think the “WTF, my item just fractured” posts are bad now, just you wait till the “WTF, my item just fractured with no warning & for no apparent reason” posts start coming with that suggestion. It’d be like giving a child a cute puppy, then taking it away after a random number of “interactions” (strokes, cuddles, throwing a toy for it, etc).

Unless you were just making a psychologist joke.

I am sorry, I understand your reply to doom, but don’t think I understand your response regarding doombybbr’s statement. I’m not sure you/doom/or I even understand what doom was trying to iterate lol.

I believe he’s saying you can have thousands and thousands of drops, and then, from those drops, have to get lucky more than a few times to find decent base items to craft on. THEN you must get lucky again on the craft itself. At least, I think this is what doom mean. The amount of RNG regarding crafting is astounding, but I like that this game has this approach. Its… different. I do like it, but I can see why most wouldn’t.

I don’t know how he would answer your question about the experience being negative ultimately, but I will say it is indeed a negative one.

His math is off, but to some, that’s likely how it feels, despite not actually being.

I don’t know though, I feel a lot of talk about the crafting system is more negative than positive. I wonder how the devs feel about this and am curious how things will turn out ultimately. I feel your solution fixes nothing, merely shrouds it from view. Sweeping dirt under a rug vs cleaning it. Keep aliens from public view. etc. Just some thoughts I have on things.

(posted quick at work so sorry for missed statements/grammar!)

e1: Llama beat me to it!

Yeah, that’s what Mike’s post is about:

It is working properly, but people seem to be a lot more pissed off about it than they want.

Yeah, Mike’s post really makes me comfortable moving forward. I feel this system is great and revolutionary, just needs tweaks to get both what EHG and the players want. HIGH hopes for the future. :slight_smile:

1 Like