Controller Support Feedback

An update, I tried to play Last Epoch last night since prior to the last update that changed the UI and my controller left stick basically doesnt work at all now

I have tried removing/readding the controller but all the left stick does now is move the character left/right. even when pusing up/down on the stick

i didnt need any extra 3rd party programs to get it to work prior but something has changed in the last update. ill probably just wait til the next patch before I try it again

Can confirm that controllers do not seem to be working anymore. I tried on both the stand alone client and in the Steam client. Triggers and face buttons seem to work to use skills, but both analog sticks do not work. I go into settings to calibrate and it recognizes the left and right stick input there, but in gameplay it does nothing.

My setup is an Xbox One controller on a Windows 10 PC. Tested that the controller does work with Destiny 2 and Grim Dawn on PC and also works fine when used with my XBox One.

Edit: Going to post this in the Bug forums. Should I delete this post?

While in the game world, try turning off and on the controller after the game originally detects the controller. The analog sticks should work after that, at least they did for me (Xbone controller) and I’ve seen this work for others as well.

Awesome, yes that did work. Thank you for the suggestion!

1 Like

Is Switch Pro controller supported? Whenever I try to plug the controller, the game detects multiple inputs on its own even though I don’t press any buttons. For example, it will move my characters and use the spells without any buttons pressed.

The Switch Pro controller should be supported in wireless mode. There’s a chance it may work with a wired connection through Steam though as it gets"converted" to an xInput device.

This said, there are controller issues some of you are experiencing that we are still trying to reproduce, so any unexpected behaviour may be related.

1 Like

Thanks for the update.

Hi! I noticed you guys already implemented system, when you can move with one joystick and aim with another. Do you plan to implement same system for PC users, with movement with keyboard and aim with mouse?

I’m playing via the steamlink app for my TV with a PS4 controller paired to it.

I created a controller profile that worked pretty well using the left stick mapped to joystick and the right stick mapped to mouse. Worked amazingly.

Stopped playing for a while but stayed at login screen. Reconnected steam link and it still worked great.

Got busy and walked away logged in. Came back and joystick didn’t work until I alt tabbed out of the game and back in. Mouse and buttons mapped to everything else still worked fine. Solely the walking joystick did not work.

Walked away for 10-15 minutes. Joystick quit working until I unmapped and selected the controller again in game config. This happened a few more times where I’d walk away and I’d have to either remap or alt tab to get the joystick to move the character.

Today after making no changes, joystick input doesn’t work at all.

I’ve rebooted my TV and PC. Game and windows up to date. I tried multiple controllers and they all have the same issue.

The left stick works perfectly fine in steam menus or ingame mapped to mouse. The calibration tool also detects joystick input without issue. Left X and Y respond normal. Mapping buttons to xInput defaults lets me map them in game and they work just fine.

xInput left joystick movement worked yesterday and refuses to work today and the issue doesn’t seem to be the TV, steamlink, my pc, the controller, or anything else. The game detects analog input on both axes in the calibration tool and responds to all other xInput.

I just can’t walk and the only thing that changed was the day of the week.

This is my biggest issue with current controller support… why anyone would want to control the cursor with a right joystick (in combat… works good for menus, see Grim Dawn controller support) is beyond me… it’s janky, and honestly should be fixed, skills should attack in the direction the character is facing. Seriously the worst idea for controller support I have ever seen/used. I’ve heard a lot of people mentioning how they do not like it either, so I know I’m not the only one that thinks this is super strange.

How on earth are you going to attack multiple enemies quickly when you have to adjust your cursor with a joystick, while also pressing attack buttons. I don’t know about you, but I use the same thumb I use to control the right joystick to press attack buttons… do you use your index finger for attack buttons?

It’s not really that bad. Melee and projectiles are straight forward but targeted skills can be tricky, but I don’t really use them anyways.

I addressed it by just using two modes. By default, the right stick is “normal” and less sensitive. When L2 is pressed, it becomes far more sensitive constrained to an ellipse and the skill mapped to right click fires at the threshold. Running up and shooting down is even easier than kb+m.

You can set any skill or none and it stops using that skill if you press another. Now that I think about it, I may flip the scheme. But honestly, once I acclimated, I didn’t even need the shift mode.

Good afternoon, I just bought the game to play with the controller, and I have to say that with the necromancer it is impossible. Although you can move the mouse with the right stick, if I want to turn around to attack with some magic it takes a long time. Ideally, the magic should target the enemies in front of us without having anything to do with the mouse. As in Griwn Dawn, enemies are automatically selected, no mouse pointing is necessary.

This is important to correct, because the game is not viable with the controller.

Thank you.

1 Like

Hi, My Xbox controller worked for movement last night, today , it does not. Controller works every other game…

B to move? uh no.

Thank you.

While in the game world, try turning off and on the controller after the game originally detects the controller. The analog sticks should work after that, at least they did for me (Xbox One controller) and I’ve seen this work for several others as well.

Thank you, but no joy. Last night controller analog sticks worked great. I have tested with test software, and various games, all is well.

This morning SAT 6/27/2020 I log in, and it says " detecting" and its the stupid “B” to move. even resetting controller, manually assigning movement does not work.

Thank you, My guess is it is mis identifying my Xbox controller for Windows.

Unplugging the USB Joystick and re-plugging fixed it.

Thank you

I am using a XBox One Controller. It works fine for moving around and most combat situations. I would recommend having the user have more control over what buttons are used and for what purposes. Having over 10 options with the ability to use only 4 of them. Makes it kind of hard. Just something to think about. Thnaks

The targeting system is what needs a lot of improvement and you are absolutely on point here. I want to emphasize this: aiming should be similar to that of Diablo 3, and when using controller, just aim where the character is looking at.

As per the menus, I love the wheel but once menus are opened, a cursor (highlight) system should be in place with the cross in the controller being used to navigate all the elements (including the inventory).

Picking up items should be simplified and just pressing A button near an item on the ground should pick it. Maybe that’s already on the plans but I had to say it.

I’m happy to see Mox here is a controller player himself. This means a lot and also means we will get the full controller support we really love. I love playing this game comfortably sitting on my sofa.

I stopped playing for now due to the still under-developed controller support. A better controller support must be implemented before I keep enjoying the game.

Keep up the good work!

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: Controller support in Diablo III

Any idea when controller support will be fully implimented? I can’t play in it’s current state as you still have to use a keyboard to buy/sell and I also don’t really like having to use a cursor to do other things like chatting with NPCs or picking up loot.

If they could make it like Grim Dawn, Van Helsing, Chronicon, or make it like D3, TL2, etc on consoles then that would help.