This game needs a loot filter yesterday

A little or a lot the hard work is much appreciated.

As to loot filters. In all honesty as the game is still so young I don’t think the loot pool is vast enough to warrant the effort to make a fully functioning loot filter. I mean now we’re getting t6 & t7. But we don’t have legendaries. We don’t have an updated unique spectrum. We don’t even have 5 of 15 masteries yet. In fact some of this may still be greatly influx. To spend time on a loot filter right now and then 8 months down the road have to potentially do it all over again because they went several different routes with the final loot pool, yeah, I’m okay if the wait. A little inconvenience for the beta testers is not that big a deal to me.

What it should eventually look like? I think just having a way to separate the various parameters, like tier level, affix, suffix, number of affix/suffix, would be the obvious choices, type of weapon, type of armor, would be others.

3 Likes

I loved the filter in Marvel Heroes Omega that let you choose the item base type you want to see ex: only show helm, glove or weapon etc…I would like to see something similar in any game too

I guess Mike’s comment in the “We need a loot filter yesterday” thread gave me false hopes of an early iteration of a loot filter. Now its going to be “Next patch or patch after next” I’m not angry just disappointed.

I’m in dire need of some Necro damage as physical and Poison damage as physical shards as I have none.

Scanning literally thousands of crap (and by crap I mean utterly useless) items searching for a rare affixes has managed to drain every ounce of fun I have had in playing this game.

I eagerly await the loot filter and will embrace it with open arms. In the mean time…

Sayonara

3 Likes

IMO that’s just not correct. There are an aweful lot of affixes, but you generally only want a handful (the “set” affixes for example, “XXX damage taken as physical”) so while we may be able to get by without a loot filter, it would be really fudging nice to have one & not have to scan through every single item checking the affixes against a mental list of desirable ones. And that’s without the t6/7 affixes or legendaries.

Unless I’ve missed something ('cause apparently I don’t open my eyes when I read through patch notes), Mike said something small was coming in the next patch. So it’s unlikely to solve your (loot :wink: ) issues completely, I do have a chocolate hat on standby.

Sure it would be nice, but it’s a quality of life addition for a life we’re not even remotely into the grown up stage. Hell, with the new MoF additions we’re going to be getting perma buffs in and out. How’s that going to change the game? The loot pool and drops?

Grim Dawn has a much deeper pool of loot that LE does. Loot Filter wasn’t implemented until maybe Ashes of Malmouth? (can’t remember exactly might have been after). Didn’t make the game any less playable.

I’m not trying to down play everyone’s REQUEST for what would be great quality of life feature, I just a) hardly think not having one is worth quitting a beta game over and b) would rather they spend time on actually creating the full content (5 other masteries, more end game, 2 more acts(?), skill nodes, etc) before getting to quality of life additions that they still don’t know how it will work down the road.

I agree completely, it’s a quality of life thing, doesn’t mean I don’t want one as soon as possible.

Yes, though for me, once I got to end-game, I was interested in uniques/sets & MIs (greens), I’d just hoover up items of the relevant colour & sort through them later, so it didn’t feel like I was sorting through as many items that I needed to look at the affixes on (MIs). Hence to me GD’s lack of loot filter was less of an issue.

I agree with a) & have no control over b).

I also want to point out that they don’t develop one thing then another. The lootfilter work has probably begun. One reason for this is that they need to have this in mind while implementing new features, affixes, type of loots etc.
Maybe they hold onto it until it’s completely finished and polished. Or maybe there is another thing they want to finish first.

If I take the time to tell you this it’s to answer this :

While you’re obviously right, is it better to have a lootfilter now and work on improvements on it, or start from scratch once everything else is done ? What gives more work ? Unless we are in the dev team i doubt we have an answer to that. That’s why we politely ask for a lootfilter as soon as possible. Just to tell them that “quality of life” (to me it’s more than that, it’s part of the core gameplay of the game.) is very important to us.

Maybe moving this feature to the top priority of the list won’t delay anything else either or make them have more work. We don’t know.

EDIT : Sometimes a game grow so much that implementing laters on a QoL feature that should have been there from the beginning takes too much work and is abandonned. How many times have i read on forums “We can’t do that because of how we built the game.”

Obviously this is a non issue here because it’s already on their roadmap. I just wanted to clarify something

These used to have so many prefixes and suffixes (the most recent massive overhaul they did to MIs eliminated some completely irrelevant pre/suff ) on them. It’s really very similar to what is in LE right now. You need a Moonstone Sceptre with affixes A & E and suffixes D & H? Just grab all the moonstone sceptres and go through them later. Or if you know you just need a scepter in general do the same thing?

And to reiterate (not directed to you, just to prevent people from thinking I think a loot filter is a bad idea, I do not), yes it would be a great quality of life function, but it doesn’t even remotely make the game unplayable. It’s like what happens every time Grim Dawn makes an update, the folks using Grim Internals start howling about how they can’t play the game now until GI gets an update. I use GI and c’mon you can still play the game perfectly fine without it.

Yup, this is most definitely the way to do it, but see the last paragraph of my previous posts because some people DEMAND it or they quit. That, of course, is their prerogative, but it does suggest a slight bias towards entitlement.

EDIT: It’s also perfectly legitimate to politely state why someone doesn’t think one is necessary at this time.

1 Like

We do have an agreement here, that’s why we take time to give feedback. How we envision the game, what feature we would like, etc.

I probably said that earlier on this very topic, but to me the absence of a lootfilter is hodling me back to test new builds and features. While this affects me personnaly and probably not the rest of the beta testers there, i still think that i could have provided valuable feedback if i tested more things in game.

I don’t like having too much clutter on screen, and while i love that LE gives the rare loot a lot of importance (Hello PoE !), clearing in two minutes a monolith and taking five to read isn’t pleasant. (EDIT : at some point i learned and could see the name of some affixes way easier with my necromancer, but if could spare me that chore for every build i want to make, i’d be glad.)

I also think that before we can decide things like economy, trade, craft and loot system, trying to assert their importance without having a lootfilter is probably meaningless. Having the ability to target and obtain way faster what you want (probably valuable loot depending on what’s meta on not if we take the community PoV), might totally break the balance of the loot.

Which is one of the three most important core aspect in an ARPG in my opinion. (with the combat and personnalisation/skill system)

The changes to gambling to hide the implicit and lack of item filter to find the item dropping is why i stepped away from the game.
It simply made gambling a joke and useless to do , and then searching for drops drained all life from me.

Simply put , the developers continue to add more layers of rng to a game that should have been a fun experience. I wish more developers would step away from layers of randomness and simply let the player have better access to gear…

How would this work? Can you define ‘better’ access? Genuinely asking, this is not an attempt to support one way or the other.

Less random, more deterministic. Monster X drops affix/item Y (like MI in Titan Quest/Grim Dawn, or farming for certain divination cards in PoE).

Never played TQ or PoE (tried PoE three different times just did not like it) but I’ve got over 2600 hours in GD. MI’s (barring the current patch) where definitely not more deterministic. RNG as to if they MI was ON the monster to start with. then the affix/suffix pools is a serious crap shoot.

GD over time provide other way to GET stuff, sure, like SR and Monster Totems and Celestial Blacksmiths. And they added the ability to be ability to reforge a legendary into a piece of the same set. So I can definitely see more things ‘like’ this being a part of the LE experience. But I don’t understand how a ‘loot filter’ added to less randomness?

MIs are deterministic in that they are a particular item that can only drop from a particular mob or boss. They are not completely deterministic due to the affixes pool that they can spawn with, but my metaphor wasn’t intended to go that far (even if that wasn’t clear, granted).

PoE’s divination cards also a more deterministic way of getting a particular thing. They can be farmed in a particular area (or areas) & drop a specific thing. Clearly there are other layers of RNG on top.

2 Likes

I really can’t comprehend that you are saying MI’s are not more deterministic, especially when you claim to have played so much GD, sorry if i am coming across rude. I am just genuinely stunned by that statement, literally i read your sentence like 10 times until i realised what you said.

Yes, there is no guaranteed way to get your BiS affix MI, nevertheless some of the MI’s in grim dawn are so powerfull for certain builds in that particular slot, that even with bad pre-/suffixes they are BiS. But MI’s are one of the, if not the most deterministic loot related thing in an aRPG.

On top of that, GD’s devs jsut recently “buffed” access to good MI’s because the cleaned up the affix pool that can roll on MI’s, they are basically waaaaay better chances now to get synergistic affix and counter-synergistic affixes got removed entirely(on an item to item basis).

Regarding OP:

I can wait for a lootfilter, it will certainly be a big QoL thing, but not mandatory for me to enjoy the game.

One thing i would like to see, that less of the very very low item bases drop in endgame(level 75+, when all available base item types can drop).
I don’t even want the better bases to drop mroe frequently. There are dropping so many of those very low item bases, i don’t even borther looting them for affix shards, because they just clutter the loot piles so much.

Well the way gambling was before was less random as you could get the base you wanted with a decent implicit. You still spent millions of gold looking for these.

Aside, simply having bosses drop higher tier gear could help a lot. Especially as you go up in arena/mono levels. it is pretty annoying to get soo much loot and all of it being low tier pieces of gear.

It could also be nice if gear was slightly skewed to drop more of certain types per character class you are playing.

Yes, I realize that getting the BASE MI is very deterministic. You go kill Kymon, you have a chance to get one of his weapons. The ONLY thing that is determisitic is where you have to go. Getting even the base weapon to drop though is not always 100% (some are, many are not.) So if we want to quibble and nit pick than I concede MIs are deterministic in that it has one single deterministic thing about it. And I already mentioned the buff that they JUST did after 4 years of the game being in place. It was the next step for them. that buff for the game would NEVER have happened in BETA.

LE HAD the gambling house, where you could go to the gambler, figure out you want a Moonstone Scepter and you can roll for them. That is essentially the same thing as an MI.

Now that said, they’ve removed some of that from gambling but they’ve also said they’re looking at more ways to ‘fudge’ the RNG for the players.

Yes, that was the point I was trying to make.

1 Like