Skill Specialization > Global Skill Points

I’ve just bought Last Epoch and enjoying the ride, but I must admit I have a love/hate relationship with the skill specialization. The game give great customization but I have a few issues with how the skills are handle.

• Lot of skills have ‘lazy’ nodes that just increase DPS. I find the skill tree should be about customization and less about power. Change the pattern, the element etc… Look at glacier, I really like the base skill but you have something like more half of the nodes that are about DPS. Same for the flame orb.
    example: glacier could shatter in shrapnel when exploding, switch to circular around you instead of cone, switch to channeling… Flame orb : orbit around you, switch to classic slow lightning ball that zap targets around…

• I don’t know if they exist, but I didn’t find any unique that modify an ability like if it was a custom node. Missed opportunity for the unique/set items.
    And about the mage, there is like only 1 node that modify abilities turning two of them into cold. could be a runemaster only feature to customize skills through the passive tree?

• I really love the ability to link abilities together, two with a single button. I would love to see more (mutual exclusive) options, right now it’s very limited. It’s a great opportunity to have more skills without increasing the number of button.
    The problem is if you want to customize the proc skill, you have to put it in one of your limited slot, pretty much force you to have it on your skill bar too. What’s the point?

• Here come the main problem, the limited number of abilities you can customize. And it’s 0 or 20 points, no middle ground. There is an option to change this and make leveling and character customization more interesting. It was used by Ultima Online :

A global skill point limit! No more specialization slots, instead a global counter. When you reach the limit skills can’t gain new level/skill points. Skills level normally. That give you lot more freedom while leveling to explore the skills, but when you reach the limit later here come the ‘hard’ choice to cut some of the skills you don’t use anymore to free point.

Another great benefit, you can have more than 5 customized abilities, but with a trade off that all your skills are not anymore at lvl 20. In the case of nova spell proc, that mean you could allocate a bunch of point in the nova to switch to a specific element, but one of your main skill with have fewer than 20 pts.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.