Satisfaction exploring maps

Proposal: I believe it would be interesting that on monolith maps there is a chance to spawn “rare” enemies. When I say “rare”, I don’t mean common enemies that have modifiers (which already exist), but enemies that don’t usually appear on maps. For example, using the context of the game itself, some version from another era of some common enemy, or something like that. That done, just add reward to these rare enemies, like uniques that only they drop, more rarity, etc. The same idea applies to the mini-bosses on the maps.

Reason: Exploring the maps becomes tiring, you stop caring about the enemies, you just want to destroy them as quickly as possible, reach the mini-boss (when this is the case) and finish the map. The only thing that brings satisfaction in this process is the possible loot. You do this over and over and the only variable that brings satisfaction is the loot, and it can make the player sick of the process. Take into account that the maps are usually large and the density of mobs is sometimes not well distributed, and with the new system where the map’s reward increases according to the number of enemies you have defeated, it creates an “obligation” to explore the maps, which do not bring much satisfaction (usually you just want to get to the last boss right away). So finding something unique on the map, which usually doesn’t appear, brings extra satisfaction and revives the desire to explore. In the end, the reward is still what matters, yet in this way it is distributed in other ways - visually more interesting.

Conclusion: Currently making monolith maps is tiring and not a lot of fun, you just want to finish right away and get your reward - your satisfaction is dependent on the loot. I believe that being tiring brings value to the reward, however to follow this path you need to add fun. This and other ideas focused on rewarding the course - and not just the end of it - creates an opportunity to better develop the game scenario and keep the player interested throughout the process.

Note: I know that the game is in development and I’m not demanding the implementation of something like that, I know that you should already have things like that in mind, however I wanted to share this idea to contribute - as well as to highlight this detail that in many games does not is treated well.

4 Likes

Hey… Two sides to this imho…

1. Maps are boring - lots of people have mentioned this and I think that we are just going to have to wait for the devs to add more variety, content and maybe even the possibility of randomised maps.

2. Random mobs/rares - Great idea… I was thinking similar ideas… Things like loot goblins from Diablo or even something like Grim Dawns (cannot recall but I think there is another game that has them too) random portals that you can chose to explore if you want. LEs time-travel lends itself (as you mention) to lots of possibilities re unique mobs & rare maps/time-bubble maps…

Again… most of these are more content based and I bet the devs are up to their eyeballs in work so I figure these kinds of things will come if we are patient… :wink:

4 Likes

Yes, I believe they have that in mind. The point is just to make exploring maps more fun, even if it takes effort to get some reward, you need to know that you can find something cool when exploring the map, and not just when finishing it. I think maybe they thought that adding this system of killing more monsters on the map to increase the final reward would increase that desire to explore, but that was a mistake. For now I think they should decrease the size of the maps, increase the density and make it more linear, since they do not have enough content to make the exploration pleasant - or at least palatable.

3 Likes

There are three levels of “Monolith” rewards:

1. items that make it past the loot filter while running the map
  2. the reward chest upon completion that make it past the loot filter
  3. the ability to enhance your character after completing a series

As a new player, I find all three levels are meaningful. But I can imagine that someone with thousands of shards and dozens of stash tabs filled with gear and multiple characters would not.

I have had this idea or similar of procedurally generated events/bosses rolled onto Monolith maps, so even if we aren’t getting procedurally generated maps we can have something that adds a bit more texture or flavor to the the maps to help things from feeling too stale. As we know, end game for any ARPG is grind and the criticism from players about what makes one of these games better than another typically revolves greatly about how the game/dev team present and manage that grind to the player.

Anything that adds extra layers of texture or flavor to game modes without adding unreasonable amounts of unwieldly systems to manage it is a plus in my book.

Having hidden objectives that randomly roll onto a Monolith on the back end and that the player may be surprised by the presence of in some cases can be fun. Hitting a boss that spawns because you eliminated all of a certain mob in a specific room can be fun, trap rooms that are randomly rolled onto the map (not static) and reward a fat chest for clearing the boss can be a cool unexpected experience and provide a reward on a previously dull map that you’ve run countless times, a portal/loot goblin to chase around and train mobs while still trying to kill the goblin before it times out (I know not too original, but we’re not really reinventing the wheel here anyway) stuff like that can add fun and excitement to a task you are ho-humming your way through. Adding these things procedurally to maps on the back end so that they are an unknown/unexpected for the player spices things up and keeps people running content they have done before because maybe they will hit a cool trap room and that chest will be an extra chance at that piece of gearfrom the loot table of that Monolith level and so on.

Certainly any of these have their limitations and everything becomes dull to those of us that spend more time than is probably healthy playing these sorts of games, but little things like suggested in this thread.

P.S. I too realize the game is in development and am sure all of these things have at least been thought of by the team. I’m sure we’ll likely be blown away with what they actually have in store for us (here’s hoping anyway :smiley:), and hopefully we see their vision accounts for ideas of how to keep things fresh and exciting. At this point I’m still really looking forward to being able to play the Rogue class and messing around more with builds as I’ve only had the game for a month!

2 Likes

Exactly. The unexpected factor really does feel very good. Give the player the certainty that he has a chance to find something interesting on that map, it breaks the robotic farm without taking away the essence of the game.

As long as maps only have one or two objectives and offer nothing else there will always be a speed meta. Faster clear time = better rewards after all. If you want to make worthwhile additons to mapping or monolith People will simply add more movementspeed to their toons and look in every corner.
The easiest way to force people to explore the map are kill tresholds untill the objective spawn but that’s forced as I said. I can’t imagine something equaly good as rushing the maps just to get over with it. If you place stuff or secrets that offer something equaly good the speed meta faction will cry and if you get a random chest here and there itÄs not worth bothering with it.

I liked the Marvel Heros system… There were two maps with different events every x minutes and you were able to run to those you wanted and do them while you could skip events you don’t like and explore for chests or named enemys. It was pretty repetetive but equaly fun to mapping in newer games because it was boiled down to the essence of mapping.

I’m not that happy with the monolith but then again I see no good way to make it better right now. Maybe someone will have a brilliant idea… that’s what I hope for :D.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.