Rune of Removal

Hi McFluffin,
Do I get it right: The higher the tier of an affix, the higher the chance for it to be removed? Do you know something about the formular? Can you give a source?

As stated before I would not change rune of removal to let the player chose the affix. I would for example add a glyph that enables you to choose the affix. You could get the glyph by finishing a daily/weekly quest. So the amount of glyphs can be simply regulated by altering the time between the quest. Or make this glyph an event reward. This way it would not be that easy and the players have to think carefully which item they wanna use the glyph with because it is very rare.

You stated, "As far as RNG goes with both itemization and crafting, there isn’t as much as many people think. "
By what I just quoted from you, your wrong. You clearly just showed us the amount of RNG that just one rune has on it. And this is just one rune. This game is filled to the brim with RNG and anyone who says differently has blinders on. Tree is right in a lot of things he brings up. And it’s sad that some of you can’t see it and want to defend this bad RNG instead of fixing it. Games are suppose to be fun, not a chore. And the A in ARPG means Action. There is no action when half your game time is sitting in craft mode waiting for the RNG gods to bestow you a glimpse of an item so you might be able to progress a build.

Look, if this game wants to succeed, it need’s to be fun and enjoyable. The state of the game as of now it is not. I had two friends join in and pay to try this game out and see what they thought about it. Us three are PoE players. They played it one day and haven’t been back. The plainly stated it was just boring and confusing. Pretty much told me to let them know when it releases and they will try it again. And now I’m starting to wonder if I’ll even be in to this game enough to tell them it released. I know some of you will think we just want instant gratification. But we actually just want to have fun and enjoy playing games. None of which this game is really offering at the moment once you get through the campaign which might I add is pretty good.

For me it is not that black and white like some of you see it. There is a lot of rng present in LE, but as far as it concerns me LE is far away from being unfair or unfun.

The fact that there is rng in many other games does not justify to implement layers of layers of rng in LE. For the first step it is simple to just add rng to extend the playtime for maximizing gear stats.

This also is ok for me if it is balanced. I find the drop rates of items and the chances of gambling as well as the prices ok.

Then crafting is an additional tool to optimise gear LE offeres the player. For early and mid game it works fine. You craft gear and if something goes wrong it doesn’t really matter. You’ll find more and better gear while you progress. But the time comes that you come close to optimized gear. And from this point on I don’t want to rely on rng. I know that I am supposed to spend more and more time for optimisation the further I progress in the game. But if you ask me I would prefer to know if I can ever get the one stat I am chasing in about a week when I play 3 hours a day instead of gambling and have the chance to get it instant or in 2 months.

But for now I can’t judge if this is the case. Not all uniques and no legendaries are implemented, yet. Perhaps crafting is only viable for mid game.

1 Like

Yes that’s right. Its something i learned quite a while ago, so not sure where the source is.

I think your suggested improvement would still offer too much control, even if in limited quantities. What about a rune that lets you guarantee keeping one of the affixes?

And crafting is the most powerful at endgame :slight_smile:

1 Like

I didn’t say there isnt RNG, of course there is! Any good Diablo like ARPG has RNG in it, but some of the comments here are exaggerating just how much, or maybe better put underestimating the control.

What you commented doesnt show more RNG. It certainly is RNG, but being able to choose to use a rune on an item where the affix you want removed is more likely to occur is definitely less RNG than just even chances on all affixes.

I’m not sure what to say about the PoE thing. It’s the king of RNG and confusing systems (a problem even the devs have owned up to). Throwing thousands of currency into an item to get a six slot…yeah PoE is a weird comparison here.

If equivalent potential items came that quickly, I wouldn’t nearly have the same gripe with the game as I currently do. To say that a similar item comes every 10 minutes is preposterous when we’re talking about good base items with good rolls and affixes that you only see on that particular base item. Stuff like Cooldown reduction on Gladiator Helms. That also doesn’t go into things like what RawSuicide mentioned above where there are times where you’re stuck with substandard equipment because it’s the only one that has some sort of necessary protection. You want to replace it with a superior item, but if you do, you die too much to that particular attack, so you try to fit that resistance in one of your stash items. Combine the frustration of dying due to a lack of protection you can easily fix with 2-3 80-90% fractures trying to get that protection on other items? Not many people are coming back after that.

Crafting is horrendously weak right now. You have Rune of Refinement which is useless. You have Rune of Cleansing, which the gambler and his base item display has made 100% completely obsolete. You have Rune of Removal, which has the potential to be worse than useless. You can’t tout a game for its crafting system when 75% of your Runes are either useless or worse than useless. If I were in charge of getting content out, I’d made sure to include a new Rune or Glyph in the next content release so we can see if crafting is going to be worthwhile at release.

2 Likes

You make a good point that some of the glyphs don’t have a lot of value right now. Rune of Refinement is super niche. Rune of Cleansing brings an item to a state that nobody crafts on right now at endgame (it’s basically impossible to take an item from no affixes to a very strong endgame item). I still think you’re missing the mark a bit on Rune of Removal, which is supposed to be a risky proposition, so just because it can make something worse than it is doesn’t make the glyph worse than useless. Still, I can see the argument to add a bit more control to that glyph. However, these concerns don’t add up to a crafting system that is “horrendously weak”. The system is very robust at the most important aspects, and the majority of my endgame progression revolves around the crafting system. It will be interesting to see what the devs have in store for crafting in the future, as improvements to the system are on the development roadmap, so maybe some of the glyph concerns will be alleviated in the future.

1 Like

I agree with a lot of what Tree said. Crafting should be about control first and the rng should be shifted more towards making the perfect item rather than making a usable one. I find the rng too frontloaded in crafting and more often than not it results in me putting the game down for a bit or not experimenting with my build. Patching up your items or making simple adjustments should be easy and encouraged. In this sense I agree the Rune of Removal should allow us to pick the affix. It’s already balanced by being a drop rate (and can be made rarer if needed) and carries innate risk in using it on a already crafted item.

The strengths of a good crafting system lie in deterministic systems and yielding control to the player by allowing them to “smooth over” rng in loot drops and get a baseline build going, while also enabling building a perfect item at high risk. LE’s system goes a bit too far a feels closer to high risk/low reward because the risk is immediate and scales aggressively and even having the setup to get a good reward already requires enough rng in drops.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.