Respec - How do YOU like, or not like it

On a slightly random & tenuously-related note, does the level of the skill tie in to the damage it does (ignoring any damage nodes you may or may not have taken)? So would a lvl 20 skill do x% more damage than a lvl 19 (or 16, etc) skill, all other things (gear, passives, idols, skill nodes taken, etc) being equal?

Is damage dealt with similar to PoE, in that attack skills get their damage from equipped weapons while spells/minions have their own base damage as a part of the skill? Or is it different?

1 Like

The base damage of a skill is not affected by the skill level. There are no hidden skill power stats.

2 Likes

So both spells & attacks use gear/passives as their base damage with an “added damage effectiveness” modifier in there.

In which case, why do melee skills have more flat added damage affixes than spells? Melee has the various flavours of added melee damage prefixes, whereas spells “only” get adaptive spell damage as an implicit (which would be comparable to the melee weapon’s melee damage implicit) plus one prefix (Spellblade’s, plus one for channelling).

I’m not saying it’s bad, I’m just a bit confused if there’s no hidden source of flat damage in the spell itself.

It’s an attempt to make melee skills be more reliant on your weapon to emulate a “local” stat.

2 Likes

What was your character level, Mike?

Level 86

1 Like

I was 20+ levels lower. Am I to wait till I am level 90 before tweaking builds then? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I think the lower level would have an impact on how fast the skill levels up, but surely not an additional 2.5 hours…

To be fair - i do not like the spec/respec system at all. I mean maybe i am just to stupid, but why is there no confirmation before my choice is set in stone - lag? misclick? and there you go point placed where you dont want it… i mean - there should be a “Planning Phase” and once you feel cool with what you did you hit a “confirmation-button” and then it is final.

4 Likes

Yeah, a confirmation would be nice. Along with not having to confirm every single damned passive, but one confirmation when you try to exit/move away from the respec vendor.

1 Like

Well clear/kill speed would be an issue, I guess. I am very plodding in monolith and was dying around wave 40 in Arena at the time.

1 Like

That Planning and Confirmation is indeed missing.

1 Like

I do. I don’t start tweaking until well after the campaign. Then I’ll fiddle with a few things here and there. Once I’m lvl 90 or so I really start mixing things up, literally trying every single build I can find and adjusting to my liking. That’s the fun part!

1 Like

I was a big complainer of the “mastery locked” system here. But after realizing how quickly I can get a character to the End of time, that basically means I can roll a character for every mastery in pretty short order.

Additionally I was a big complainer about the lost points in the skill respects (and subsequently having to re-learn them).

I’m on the fence on this one. Having gotten high lvl characters, I now see how quickly you can earn points back, especially in full resets.

HOWEVER! Due the the complexity of these types of games, I simply would not play if I could not respec my passives and skill points in some way, and I am very grateful for the ability to do so.

I think this game has struck a fine balance between effort and reward in regards to skill/passive point placements.

1 Like

I do too, but for me thats when a game has failed mechanically its literally copying someone elses time, we aren’t really playing a game then we are literally just following everyone else who has… To me thats a bit of a waste.

One i hate arenas personally, rinse repeat gameplay makes me uninstall. i do it through the story… And two at what level did you level the skill up? was it under level 30?

I tweak and change all the way through, if i’m building a character i need good ground work… level 90 is far far too late imo… hell lv 40 is far to late to me.

That’s aRPGs for you though, all you’re doing is going into a new area & killing the (usually low-ish density, until you do arenas, then the density is much higher) mobs that you come across for a chance at some loot.

I was approx level 63-ish when I wanted to experiment with shifting 4 points from my level 20 Fireball to make it piercing. I removed 4 points from the build. It took me 3 hours grind to level back from 16 → 20. I then decided I didn’t like the piercing because it cost too much mana and had to take the 4 points out again and level from 16 → 20 again - 3 more hours.

Mike, the dev above, has done a similar respec at level 86, and found it took 36 minutes to do the same grind. Obviously his skills are earning a lot more XP @ level 86 than mine were because Monolith scales to your level.

For the record, I do not find 36 minutes to respec a meagre 4 points in a skill any more acceptable than 6 hours.

So what would you find acceptable?

I’m curious to know how much more xp you get per kill at lvl 86 compared to 63.