Rank #1 melee | Immortal Zealot- Paladin Build (Sentinel) 0.7.10 Beginner/Veteran | With Write Up!

I dont know about you guys experience but I’ve done some specs with block on 2H.
You spend so many passive points and dedicate all skills to add block %.
You shuld really think about opportunity cost and effectiveness when checking stuff.

Not to mention only pally can MAYBE reach 50% block 2H and that many block pts are “with shield”

“is block OP?”
at the cost of 25+ passives and 5 skills i would say no

“is shield 45% block 2k effectiveness OP?”
2k eff (50% dmg reduction) and 50% block is about a “VERY VIRTUAL 25% dmg reduction”
at the cost of 50-100 flat damage/your prefix of choice by losing a 2H weapon, or think about dual wielding that unique axe once DW will be added (i’d rather call that and all the unique weapons to be the OP thing imo)

So is the standalone shield op compared to 2H or DW axes? i would say no.
It is hard to say without serious DPS graphs, but i’m speculating that you lose 25% or (easily) more dmg to get 25% dmg reduction

And i’m not even comparing block to the 4k perma ward, %life as ward, 1mil crits and all the crazy stuff going on in this game

1 Like

The numbers are there is can be done and the ladders show 2h none block is significantly underperforming in arena the only way to push builds to their max and limit right now.

I suggest you test and poush the ladder to see the difference is largely so. I am not going to argue my point when The numbers on the ladder show and have video proof. I can make a 2h block build and a high dps block build be just as tanky and probably out push what I did with this build.
55% clock on paladin with a 2h weapon doing 90k on the dummie and still get 50% dr from block effectiveness. you should be able to get this tanky with whis little effort. I literally did nothing, to get this strong that is the point. That is why it needs nerfed you can stand there and be a god for doing nothing.
Edit: Not just paladin either

https://imgur.com/a/OWk9Uma

Nice build Rimed.

I like having a player finally making a build with Shield Bash incorporated. I find it to be a pretty underwhelming as an ability to build around so nice work! You are giving me new inspiration.

2 Likes

This is what I am talking about with opportunity cost. To reach 55% block with a 2H weapon you must have spent pts on the passive and on some skills or not?

55% block chance with 50% effectiveness is 25% Dr give or take this right here is fine. What is not fine is 100% block with 60%+ effectiveness + 10% reduced damage on block plus 53 ward/hp on block (can be higher with better rolls)

Right and to go from 50% block to 100% block exactly how many pts into passives and skills are spent?

2 skills and 19 passives plus shield with t5 block chance is all it takes from 0% to 100%

We kinda need to be more accurate here:
1 sentinel prereq -> 5 sentinel 5% block
5 FG 5% block
5 pally 5% block
4 pally 12% block
Total 20pts

Skills (i suppose)
Sigil 9%-12%-15% (3% per sigil 3 to 5 sigils)
Shield Bash 15%
^NOTE: that these two above do not equal perma 15+15 block. Rather you have to maintain 15 + 15 buffs

Equip Shield -> Lose 2H dmg or 50-100 flat dmg -> Equals (i dont know exact nr here): lose 25-50% damage

I really dont think it is “free tank” or whatever, it looks more like: with a shield, 20pts, 2 skills you add another layer of 25-60% DR.

For scope:
Vengeance gives 30% DR for 5pts for example.
The new FG Hammer/Anvil gives 25% for the cost of EDIT: 10-12passives and 25% less dmg

If that is really that excessive i would tweak block effectiveness and maybe that pally node that gives 3% block/pt

BUT IMO tbh 12% block/4pts and the same investment into 2 skills doesnt look all that bad to me, at all.

What is really missing is (like in POE) a tank layer dedicated to 2 handers, you don’t have a 2H tank alternative, like maybe get DR or HP only with 2H, with a 2H weapon you are kinda force stuck with spending all pts into damage

Or alternatively maybe reduce the gap in dmg and tank between 2H <-> 1H/Shield, to make it much less uneven and allow for the same tank and the same damage in both setups (which currently i dont think is the case)

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.