Question for the Devs regarding further community development

Yeah, i will most likely do some stuff anyway, even without “official” support. But i would rather have some official backing.

Yeah, this might split the community a bit. But it may also grow the community in general, because more people are interested in the game. They just split into different directions.

To keep them together as tight as possible it is needed to be backed by the devs. Like language channels on discord and forum.

The community is already split into these groups “forum”, “discord”, “reddit” and “chat”. While there are some people that are very active on all platforms, there are also people that use only one source for main communication.

Still there are a lit of people that struggle with everything being english. They don’t understand everything and also are afraid of giving feedback in a language they aren’t good at.

So for the exact same reasons why EHG doesn’t have language specific areas already, there are people that hesitate to get into contact with LE because of the language barrier.

We could help, build this bridge here.

A discord can be setup pretty easy. You can have help with moderation via bots.

A homepage needs a bit of work. Maybe for someone with the right skills, it’s also as easy. I lack these skills. But I would also be interested in helping creating content for a website. Or for any other source.

That’s because you’re German, the French just go ahead and do it anyway.

Heyo!

We’ll be discussing this at a meeting sometime next week, so I wanted to drop by and let you know that it was seen and that we do plan to talk about it - and roughly when we’ll do so.

There’s a few points I’ll personally be raising at that meeting;

• What does the appeal process look like for moderation performed by members of the community in cases where none of EHG’s staff speak the relevant language?
  • If you were a new member of the community and saw sections of the official forum and / or Discord server catering to your language, would you be more likely to make a purchase predicated on the belief that Eleventh Hour Games officially supports that language?
    • If so, when the game, patch notes, and customer service / technical support are not available in a language you speak, would you be likely to request a refund?
  • If you would be interested in being a voluntary moderator, approximately how active would you be in this role?
    • Are channels which are infrequently moderated ultimately worth having?

I’ll be sure to swing by to collect your input prior to the start of the meeting. :smile:

3 Likes

I know at least 4 people who won’t buy LE if there is no official german translation and support, because they don’t want the hazzle to translate stuff in their free time but rather want to play the game.
If anyone knows 1-5 guys who think the same way do the math and if it’s worth taking the step without any garantee if it works out in the end.
I made some observations over at Wolcens Discord and so far I realy think it’s better to leave it like it is then go some half way options that’ll only kill the patient with the cure.

Outside of this there are plenty of ways to get the community involved. I already asked the devs what they think about fan translations for the game or patchnotes free of charge for sure and you disliked it. There are plenty of ways to get all language stuff done if you do it with a workshop option only for the tooltips and quest texts or if you finaly find someone who is a native speaker and want’s to help you out free of charge but with the needed paperwork in the backround to be save when it comes to the law.

You guys at EHG did a great job so far and you have a pretty great community that is backing up your game. I think you have every option to get things done if you want to because there are a lot of eager people arround here.

First of all, thank you for your response.

All the points you did raise are valid and need to be thought of beforehand.

I can only speak for myself here, but in case i would become a moderator I would like to have some official basic outline for most common things that needs to be moderated (like profanity, personal attacks, intentional spam etc.).

For some critical cases, where possible bans would be conducted, i would like to have some contact person from EHG I could contact to review such cases.

Depending on your stance regarding community made translations for forum announcements/patch notes, I think me and some of the other guys here would be willing to provide translations. But I understand where your concerns are coming from.

Regarding technical support and customer service, well that’s a big problem indeed. That is way beyond voluntarily moderation.

Here again, I can only speak for myself, but me personally would be active in the forums basically every day for a few hours. There might be some single days or perhaps a whole weekend that i am not active at all, but that should be the minority for me. And of course if I am at vacation.
But depending on the amount of moderators for each language, they possibly could try to schedule a little bit of this to minimize the abscent of moderators over a significant amount of time.

I would understand if you are not willing to provide such channels for languages where you can’t find enough people that are willing to moderate them.

In case, you decide to not support any of this things for now(or never). One question i would still have: Is promoting any kind of unofficial community, like a german discord or a german fanwebsite allowed on the official LE platforms(Like Reddit, Discord and Forums)

Thank you again for interacting with your community. Even if you decide to not support it, I am very glad that you guys discuss this matter very openly.

Slacker.

Not everyone is going on vacation and then tend to be 24/7 on the LE forum anyway :smiling_imp:

Only the ones that care.

There is no advanced technology available where i go on vacation… in a primordial cave where long haired people, black clothed people tend to dance in circles to some primeval music-esq tones

Norfolk? (In the UK, obviously)

Not even close :stuck_out_tongue:

We metalheads keep our gatherings secret so boring accountant people like you can’t ruin our celebrations :skull_and_crossbones:

Did you just assume my musical preferences??? :o

1 Like

I would suggest you both stop it now, before you get a temporary ban :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Yes you are right, probably not the best idea to do such chit chat on a non-offtopic thread, with some serious intent.

I’ll stop it now >.<

Wow! Seems it worked… Just wanted to test my moderation skills :rofl:

Obviously I’m very talented :metal:.

Now give me the damn rights so I can start kicking some people that disagreed with me recently. :facepunch:

3 Likes

Yes, absolutely.

I’ll try to find a moderator who can review the above. :wink:

3 Likes

Oo, oo, oo, pick me! Pick me!

You’re fast!

1 Like

That’s what the wife says…