Question for the Devs regarding further community development

Since i am pretty involved in the current community, especially on the forums i have two questions on mind.

1st Question: Are there plans to create sub-forums for different languages? Me and a few other people would like to push the german community and trying to create german content, for example FAQ, gathered informations and so on in german. Because as it seems, there are alot of people out there enjoying LE but would be much more comfortable with their native language. And we know you won’t start localization into different languages until the very end of development/release
This would also of course benefit other languages as long as there are enough people supporting that part of the forum.

2nd Question: Is there any opportunity to become a forum/community moderator in any kind? On a voluntarily basis. Maybe not yet, but later down the line when the community grows.

Thank you in advance for any reply.

Loving the community that has been built here. Keep on rocking guys :metal:

6 Likes

Foreign language moderation is most likely the sticking point for foreign language areas of the forum (hence your point #2).

1 Like

Yes, that’s why i asked those questions as a bundle :smiley:

I am just genuinely interested in making this community a great place for more people.

And except for some of my hastly typos and (sometimes) bad grammar i think i would not be the worst forum moderator you have seen in anygaming community :innocent:

2 Likes

I’m one of the few people @Heavy mentioned who would like to support aswell!
The germans got your back guys! :smiley:

3 Likes

Just tagging @Sarno, i did try to get in contact with devs via discord, but most have their direct messages disabled (i guess because of an overwhelming amount if direct messages).

I apologize if devs already noticed this thread but need some time to evaluate any proper answer. Also apologize if this sounds like i am “demanding” an answer. It’s just a topic i am genuinely interested in and i want to help make this community even better.

1 Like

There was a request for foreign language channels on discord. The answer was that it’s not doable because it’s not possible to moderate those channels right now without the needed resources.

What about to create an own discord server? This way it’s not “official”. But if we were allowed to promote it via forum and official discord, would be nice.

I can understand that, hence my 2nd question as @Llama8 already pointed out.

I know having “voluntarily moderators” can become quite sketchy sometimes, but i think there are already alot of people that have proven that they really care about this community.
All my questions come with the greatest awe about this community.

Usually i am not a big fan of “unofficial” stuff like that and i also don’t use discord that much myself, but i would indeed use it if we can grow somekind of community there.

That very much depends on the people, back in the day Ascaron had probably 2 paid CMs (one German one “international”/English) and a host of non-employee moderators, of which I was one. As long as you can pick people who display the sort of attributes you want in a moderator (helpful, responsible, not a dick), even experience isn’t actually necessary, you’d pick that up as you go along, especially if there’s more experienced mods around to provide a bit of guidance. Though you do need to know what the party-line (that’s EHG’s view on things and how they want stuff handled for you non-native speakers) is so you can stick to it. But you’d have that issue when you start hiring paid moderator/community management minion positions as the company grows.

Having non-employees as moderators could help bridge the gap between “too small a company to be able to afford to pay the moderators but Sarno is getting run ragged keeping on top of the forum/community” and “big enough to be able to afford to get Sarno some minions to deal with all the low level **** like moving threads and asking people to stop being dicks to each other or you’ll get out you ban-hammer”.

A potential issue is whet to do with the volunteer moderators when you’re firmly in the second category. My personal suggestion would either be Soylent Green or a wood-chipper in the woods somewhere. Boardman could probably source them an industrial one.

1 Like

You did point out quite a few important points.

Absolutely. I think there are already a bunch of valid people for that, as long as they would be up to do that kind of stuff. As you probably already guessed i would be inclient to be a moderator. In fact i would love to help out in this sector.

Yeah that’s one of the biggest points i would be worried about. Every moderator would need somekind of “briefing” about that stuff.

Also another thing i was kind of worried about, in case i would become somekind of moderator, do i still have the “right” to give feedback and make suggestiosn for the devs about the game.

This was exactly my train of thoughts.

Yes, that does happen occasionally.

You’re probably reading a bit too much into it. People who have been picked to be moderators are most likely to have been around a while, and they can always ask questions with the more complicated/judgemental stuff, or just push it up to the paid guys/gals.

Of course! Why would you? Volunteer moderators are still players with their own view point on things, they just need to be able to separate that from the professional/official side of things.

1 Like

Just wanted to let you know, that @TriKster and I occasionally make jokes about you on @Thyworm live streams, that you already are moderating this forum :wink::grin:

4 Likes

I’m not moderating it, I’m just bugging the f*** out of @UltraboltNovacrunch. British national anthem plays in the background Its a hard job, but one I accept with focus, commitment and sheer ****ing will.

5 Likes

Definitely a hero! :partying_face:

3 Likes

HAH! So happy I’m not the only one.

My email inbox looks like this on any given day:

Llama8 has replied to a post…
Heavy has replied to a post…
RawSuicide has replied to a post…

5 Likes

So not a ‘moderator’ but more a forum mum? :wink:

4 Likes

What about forum grumpy old b*****d?

I try man, I really ****ing try. And I can honestly say, now I’m going to try even harder.

2 Likes

Let’s settle on Forum Mascot, that tends to tag alot of people and likes to talk :smiley:

Typical Llama

2 Likes

Nah that aint good enough. Trump better back down, we want Llama for president :prince:

I’m thinking more of an “immoderator”

1 Like

The moderation of the german community is easy ^^. We complain a lot so just ignore that, we get straight to the point without a second throught about other peoples feelings so ignore that as well… We swear a lot because swearing is somehow freedom of speech ^^. You just need to look at every other post not including said stuff ^^.
@Heavy Why don’t you open up a german fanpage of some sorts? I’m not a fan of different Discords for different languages because this splits the community in the end but fanpages are nice if they are good. Or open up a topic with a link to a FAQ and other german sources that are bundled in many google docs. When you enough likes it might get sticked or something. There are plenty of ways without EHG may get a free mod that messes up things.