Patch Preview: Beta 0.7.10

This sound great. Glancing blow in its current form was never fun I have been vocal on here in the past on that topic. Interested to see the much welcomed defenses overhaul too.

really glad to see these changes announced! thanks so much EHG for listening to the feedback from the players!

after a very disappointing PoE league start (mostly due to crashes but also not super into the mechanic) i’m looking forward to being able to jump back into LE with this next patch.

RIP Glancing Blow 2020-2020. You will not be missed.

Interested in the changes to Protections too. Looking forward to the blog post. I do like how they work currently, but I’m seeing them becoming more difficult to balance around.

2 Likes

Ok i can feel in this patch preview all the feedback given by the community.

Lootfiler, crafting, respeccing, defensives affixes (GB / Resistances). It’s crazy how in one patch most of the complaints are being tackled.

Great job and can’t wait to test this patch !

1 Like

What about skill respec system - its annoying to level skill from level 1 everytime i want to try something new.

1 Like

The topic of skill respecs is addressed in the post;

2 Likes

Thank you for reply! Yes i read that post in the past, but while i didnt see Skill Respec system in patch preview i thought its not gonna be there. Thank you for clarification.

Have a great day, stay safe!

I don’t really see what’s so bad about glancing blow in principle, most games have defensive affix taxes, or requirements to cap resists (PoE), so I don’t really get the fuss about GB. It’s just something that you need to have capped along with crit avoidance.

I think the problem is that it was a too heavy tax in terms of slots taken.
You need mostly 5 slots with tier 4 to cap it. Some classes have GB prot in their passive tree to lower the number of slots.
I think the complain mainly comes from this.

1 Like

Looking good

I was thinking of just increasing the numbers on items, to make it easier achievable… Very curious what kind of dynamic change they are going to present with “another kind of GB”…

You may think you don’t care, but the fact remains this is being touted/developed as a multiplayer game, so even if you never play MP, eventually the MP will be integrated and touch every part of the game design. The longer it lingers in the background, the worse for the game overall IMHO. Obviously if there are technical issues that don’t support the amount of players or whatever, I can understand they wouldn’t want to prematurely release it and get a bad reputation. But, from an efficiency standpoint, I feel like they may be shooting themselves in the foot by holding it back.

Example: they spent around 2 months on this last patch, and a big effort must have gone into retooling the way defense works. But it is extremely likely that defense will need to be re-tooled for MP just by nature of the game (buffs, heals, auras, taunts, etc are all integral to combat defense), so that means down the line they are going to have to go through this all again.

Just my two cents. If it ain’t ready, it ain’t ready.

2 Likes

We don’t know whether they have internal testing already - and rebalancing a quite finished thing seems easier, to me at least.?

Nope, I KNOW I don’t care. It’ll be here when it’s here and I do not care when. If they never implemented MP it wouldn’t affect my enjoyment of the game in the slightest. The only thing that could possibly affect me would be if they just suddenly outright said, “no more solo play multiplayer will be the only mode of playing.” And even then I’d just be like "Okay, got my money’s worth moving on.’

Things I’m actually interested in, and care about, are why I commented ‘marvelous.’ Like the potential for those other phase 3 things, new areas, new Sentinel Shield Bash skill, new user interface changes, etc. Multiplayer? Zero interest. Yes, of course, it will have an effect on the game and its final product, still…don’t…care. still…not…interested. My caring about it really isn’t open to interpretation. I don’t. No ‘think you don’t’ about it.

1 Like

Lol one man telling another how they supposed to feel :rofl:

We don’t know if the protection changes are BECAUSE of MP. It’s all speculation at this point. I’m good with their priorities and what they have planned so far. What matters is the substance, not the order.

4 Likes

:+1::cat:‍:motorcycle: let’s rock

So Rogue, Dual wielding and …? :stuck_out_tongue:

Overall I think this is a great change, making all fights have the same penalty and not just the last 1 or 2 like last time I did the campaign. And spawning at the boss and not at the start of the zone is amazing. However out of all of my friends I’m the best ARPG player, because I play them way more then they do. And even I struggled with a lot of these fights, I’m sure in time, like with PoE I will get better at these fights and be able to do them without dying. However for a first playthrough you have no experience, making some of these bosses, especially later ones, very challenging. I know at least 2-3 of my friends if they were to buy this game could not finish the game with death resetting boss fights. Don’t get me wrong, I love challenge, and actually having to learn the fights will be great, but the game needs to be accessible. Bosses will need some crazy balancing compared to last I played, when 0.7.10 goes live I will do another play through the story and see how it feels as I remember at some point certain nerfs to enemy HP and damage, although I do not recall if that included bosses.
I do think having the high HP and high damage bosses heavily encourages using the crafting system to get decent items. But with a bit of bad RNG (and I’ve had even my first craft on an item fail) and you wont be able to get better equipment.
Balance is going to be a big deal for this game for launch, keep that in mind, someone choosing a weak end game build cant be made to struggle through the campaign, they should struggle in the end game when builds matter, while leveling/story they need to be able to beat the content.
I need to complete many more playthroughs before i can give a full and valid opinion on balance for experienced players but right now the beginner friendlyness is lower then I would like. Dont make the PoE mistake where people are literally scared to play because of no new player friendlyness.

I kinda agree with you. That’s my impression as well. I do wish MP is here sooner so we can better gauge it’s impact on the game.

But I’ve learnt over the years that these devs often have good solid thinking in terms of how they go about their design process and philosophy. So even though in this instance I am anxious to see them push out MP, I’m more than willing to trust their process.

2 Likes

The difficulty of the current story bosses is very low imho. There are some with hard hitting attacks. But mechanically the fights are not very challenging. This first starts with Liath and Lagon and continues with the monolith bosses.

One difficulty challenge is the spikyness of enemy damage. That’s what is going to be addressed with tweaking the defensive systems/stats and skills. But for the story bosses there are just very few memorable fights. Most of them are just standing still and spam abilities till the boss dies.

I don’t mind dying at a boss during the first playthrough. You can try instantly untill you get it right. No setback besides the hp bar. And to be honest: The health bar not resetting at bossfights when the player dies feels like the absolutely noob mode to me.

The discussion of @LizardIRL and @Tibone on his podcast had a bunch if very good points. The game doesn’t teach you some important mechanics currently. This is getting better in the future. Being able to beat a boss despite repeatedly dying does not help. This delivers a false impression of how mechanics (should) work in this game.

4 Likes