New t6-7 affixes feedback

You can measure a builds power from a gear perspective from all of the affixes. And when devs saying they don’t expect any1 to have T6 or T7 affixes i belive they will not state such statement without having thought about that.

They do have power, loads of potential power. And when having one that really amplifies your build you might have still deficit’s on your other gear. And such a powerful item can either balance out some of your other deficit’s or just be a straight power boost, which might give you the little edge you needed to defeat the next MoF boss or what ever.

I think PoE is a pretty bad example, because they have a very very similar system, just with more affixes per item. In fact 99% of all items in PoE are trash too, but because of the excellent loot filter option you are not even noticing it.

LE’ system with the relatively few affix per item(just 4 at max) makes each item count a little bit more. When there is one bad affix on an item in LE that much “worse” than in PoE. Most of PoE’s early-mid endgame items do have 1-2 affixes that are useless.

1 Like

I agree. I don’t know what it is about these two affixes but the excitement of them and what they are supposed to mean, its really low. I don’t really know how to fix this other than like I mentioned before the developers offer another option for them such as crafting.

These new affixes, there isn’t anything you can do with them past keeping the ones which might be useful and tossing the rest. That is why I suggest a rare crafting mat in the future where you can maybe upgrade a t5 mod on your gear to a t6 if you have the same mod for a low chance of success. At least you can do something with these mods instead of just crafting on item they are on to fix them to be usable. They feel so limited, that is what makes me feel so bad when I get it.

1 Like

I would disagree PoE is a bad example because this discussion about having powerful affix limited to drops for rares to be bis is a discussion that has been ongoing for years.

1 Like

At the end it will all come down to the balancing. If you can perfectly make any build viable with just T5 max it really doesn’t matter for me.

Those exalted items are just the “cherry on top” if you will. I personally do like the current system.

And keep in mind the item rarity system is not yet fully completed. We still have to see how legendaries fit into the big picture. But that might be a discussion for another topic anyway.

All i want to say is that i do find alot of enjoyment in the current system. When Loot Filter will be introduced things automatically will get a lot less tedious and annoying for all players anyway.

There is no type of smart loot. You can have a lvl 60 item with 20 adaptive spell damage with a t7 stun avoidance.

Devs made clear t7 are not in anyway chase items. But when the loot system gets an overhaul (which I hope at some time will happen) the exalted items will be much more rewarding.

If they said that then they don’t understand the player’s desire for loot progression. They added t6/7 affixes as drop-only to get around the best gear always being crafted (or potentially 1 or 2 uniques). 99% of them are always going to be trash because 99% of all gear drops are trash, that’s how you know the 1% (of items) is good.

As many have said, if they removed the lower tier bases from the drop pool as you level, that would be a massive improvement to the feel of (rare) loot dropping. No longer would you find that wand with 3 useful affixes that you can craft further only to realise it’s a Burning Branch.

IMO bases should only drop if they are the top 2 tiers of each base that can drop based on the area level. So if a one-handed weapon dropped at lvl 45, it could be a katana/hooked blade if it were a sword, bronze or battle axe if it were an axe, morning star or iron mace if it were a blunt, etc. So you could still get a relatively low level base (iron mace is lvl 25) depending on the staggered level requirements for the bases, but no broad swords or falchions with 3xt5 and 1xt7 affixes dropping…

7 Likes

I maybe said it wrong it was more in the line of not expecting them at any point of the game.

I find it hard to judge loot because of no loot filter. There is no way of knowing what percentage of loot drop is actually useable without checking every drop. Most people that want good bases just ignore all and gamble.

Personally I don’t check any loot but purples and gamble only for a few minutes because it is just tedious. I for sure got some decent purples but nothing great.

1 Like

I agree, I got 1 decent purple out of 10-15, but crafting it well and truly broke it. :frowning:

1 Like

The percentage chance of an item type dropping, regardless of it’s stats, would be an interesting set of numbers.

At the end of mono 55 I took “Increased chance to find grand idols 37%”

I have not seen any noticeable difference in idol drops since the patch.

I have no idea if that 37% tilts in favour of Grand Idols when an idol is dropped/rolled, or it increase the chance for a Grand Idol to drop from 0.01% to 0.0137% (or whatever).

Agree 100%

2 Likes

The new t6 and t7 affixes seem to have been implemented to do (at least) 2 things …

1. Reduce the upper limit of t5 and move that upper limit to t6 and t7 drops e.g., Melee Attack Speed on gloves max t5 is now 15, t6 is 16-18 and t7 is 19-20 (I think). This applies to other stats as well, but I’ve not seen enough drops to go further on this.

2. Create new upper limits for some stats e.g., I have a ring with t6 Critical Strike Avoidance that has a range of 38-44%. I am expecting t7 to have 45-50% but not dropped one yet to view it. The “old” max of 37% for t5 still exists as a max for t5 (and still craftable). This means that 100% CSA is now achievable on 2 max t7 rolls of 50% instead of requiring 3 max/near max rolls or using Idols.

They did not lower the T5 values of all affixes, just some of the very strong one as far as i am aware, But T5 affixes are generally even more common now on direct loot drops. I can already tell you that i got ALOT more T5 direct drops, even 2x T5 drops.

Yes, i think the things that have some sort of soft or hardcap are impacted the most. But i think that is a good thing.

Gives you something really to chase after.

Yes, I enjoy the chase.

All the new t1 to t7 values can be found in Dammitt’s Excellent Database Item DB

Maybe it would be interesting making exalted drops based on 1 additional affix, instead of a 6/7 tier?

I don’t know, could it make drops useful even having 1 or 2 affixes not good for your build, but being chase items if good?
Could it help with gearing progression?

I really don’t like this idea. Especially with fewr affixes each affix matters more. I really like that.

Except some affixes which are very common between various different builds on some items there are more possible good affixes that the item has space. So each item is more unique and different.

In my example i did point out how only 1 “bad” or counter-synergistic affix can already “ruin” the item, more than compared to other games.
But i didn’t even mean that in a bad way.

The more tiers there are, the lower the value of an item will become, and the bigger the ‘trash’ loot pile, and people will want to use loot filters to limit the number of drops to only include valuables. The net effect is that it takes just as long to get a good item as before the introduction of additional tiers, but you need to implement a loot filter system (bad idea in my opinion: more coding, more errors, more confusion). If you want people to chase items for a longer time, reduce their drop rate. At least then, when you find something you’ll know it’s good.

If the tires of affixes on an item were linked , this would solve the trash pile problem: if an item has an affix of level X, the other affixes are randomnly drawn from a pool that is within X -/+ 2 levels for example.

Of course, there is crafting, but if you have to replace 3 out of 4 affixes on an item through crafting, in a system where each craft increases the chances to brick the item, nobody will want to waste their time on it. so in practice, such solution will not increase the number of ‘top tier’ items, but will increase the number of happy players and reduce the number of those who gave up out of frustration of playing a ‘seagull over a landfill’ (love that analogy :slight_smile: )

I understand your position, didn’t try to argue with that.

All points of view, I suppose, have been considered by the devs. I am sure they have good reasons to decide for this approach.

1 Like

While I like the idea of T6 and T7 affixes I definitely don’t like that T5 values of affixes has been nerfed significantly, and in general moved into T6 tier.

Welcome to the genre, 99% crap drops is as essential to the genre as big flashy skills and people bitching on the forums that their big flashy skill isn’t as big and/or flashy as someone else’s so clearly the other person’s needs to be taken into a dark alley and soundly beaten with a big nerf hammer.

Seriously though, all of the "big successful arpgs, every single damned one has 99% crap drops. It’s like EA sports games being “secret” gambling games with a thin skim of sports over the top to fool the regulators and “totally revolutionised” every year to fool the punters into starting over from scratch each year. And yes I did type that in the voice of Jim Sterling.

@Heavy, I thought etornero’s idea was for the t6/7 affixes to be in addition to the usual 4 craftable affixed.

I guess it depends on your definition of “significantly” then, 'cause not all of them have.

1 Like

I did not want to give it just a heart but approve it with a comment as well as it truly is not an exaggeration if stated with the significance of “essential”.
While it might be superficially redundant to create so much garbage loot - it really is not.
In short:
You will go through a lot less positive psychological effects and most likely even quite a lot of negative effects if there would be very little loot or only the best of the best dropped.
I believe simply putting your imagination into use would help plenty with this theory (: