New Acolyte Armor Coming in Our Next Patch

Mostly this

The concept has some nice ideas, not sure they combine into one consistent look however. No matter the concept, it’s the end design that counts.

I like the 3d model, the armor bits are nicely done, with a few comments:

• her pose is not really elegant, this takes away from the overall impact,
  • (1) the shoulder pads are very nicely modelled, but seem to float above her shoulders, shortening her neck and making her look bad in the process
  • (3) the broad and thick belt is unflattering - this can be easily fixed and her waste line restored by making a more of a hip belt instead (make it rest on her hips instead of her pelvis/waste)
  • (5) The skirt just looks poor in comparison. It has potential, but not combined with the rest of the armour. I suggest adding at least a flap of armour there to compensate
  • (4) the knife model looks more like a butter knife, the size of the one in the concept art was much more appropriate and impressive looking.
  • (2) maybe add some nice cloth (the same as the skirt) under her bracers, to cover her arms slightly more and have the skirt integrate more with the rest.

Here is a quick and dirty summary of my suggestions:
https://imgur.com/qva1EUL

2 Likes

Yessss make my fire necro look more bad A!

well, this armor looks badass, I 100% approve.

However,
It doesn’t fit starting screen, level 1 Acolyte is like an outcast who trained in dark arts and was kinda fired from the school of magic, right? She shouldn’t look awesome from the get go, she need to earn it over levels and experience.

I mean, you can’t make her looks better than her teacher in starting screen. She needs to start humble and down to ground then rise up

Should the starter screens be representative of what your character starts off at, or aspirational (look how awesome your character can look like at lvl x)!

1 Like

This is very good question, and I think the same concept should apply to all characters (whether it’s start off, or aspirational).
But to be honest, if I first see top tier armor on character screen, then start with some rags on, I’d feel cheated. Many Korean MMORPGs do this, and it’s less than ideal.

However, in the future, maybe LE can have some armor set preview option on character selection… We don’t have character creator, and probably wouldn’t, so selection screen could use some nice additions like armor preview, with character model showcasing different armor sets waiting for them in endgame. It will add a sense of visual progression from very first moment, which is needed to compensate for the lack of CC.

That’s my opinion ofc.

The concept art makes the 3D model look like absolute trash and that is both a complement of the awesome concept art and a direct shot how horribly the concept art was massacred into that 3D model.

No offense to the 3D model person, I’m sure there was a very good reason why someone completely ruined the design of the arms, lower legs and breast area.

Yeah, that’s a nice idea, maybe have some thumbnails of armour and when you hover over it you see an enlarged version (like how Amazon does the product pictures.

I think calling it “absolute trash” is going a bit far. Like saying that when GGG do a small numerical nerf to a skill certain parts of the PoE community declare that it is now absolute trash and should just be deleted from the game.

1 Like

hear hear, seriously great additions. I love your take on armor much more than original.

1 Like

Objectively the 3D Model is not Absolute trash but compared to how good the Concept art is, it is.
How the artistic vision goes from that amazing to only “good” is very disappointing. Having seen what they are capable of I’m sure it can be much better is the main point I’m making.

Which is fair enough & I agree with you, I just don’t get how one can go from amazing to good, then call the good absolute trash…

2 Likes

Speaking of the breast area, I see the art team is going with the “breast” armour concept that literally shows the shape of the breasts. After watching the Shadiversity video Female armor: Fantasy vs Reality, I can’t really get behind the trope of female armour being like this.

1 Like

Yea, but then you get all the people that play female characters because they want the character to look female. What is the point in that if armor covers up any distinction of sex? The bikini armors that some games have is quite absurd though. :smiley:

On the topic of aspirational armor on character creation, Guild Wars 2 does it, as do many other MMO’s. They show top tier gear on character select, but once you select the class and go into character creation, it shows the base level toon.

The 3D model of this new armor just looks very out of proportion. The concept art on the shoulder armor looks like it has feathers sticking out from the bottom, which is neat. The 3D model they are spread out and just 1 at a time making them look like tin foil blades. (Like dangly earrings)

Why rework character 3D art if it isn’t going to be top notch? The concept art was great, even if the helmet is absurdly large for the character. It just seems a waste of time if the implementation isn’t great.

You’ve never played the witch in PoE, have you? :stuck_out_tongue:

I have played everything in PoE multiple times. I play games for how fun the game is. I don’t really care what the characters look like unless it is really bad graphics. (Starfox was widely loved but I couldn’t handle the crap graphics).

I have always been the person that likes to plan builds and play them to see how it turns out. I have 100+ characters built on Path of Building. Sometimes, I just build a character on there with no intention of ever actually playing it. I am addicted to theorycrafting.

1 Like

I just mentioned the witch because she’s a very popular character to play, yet she has zero feminine figure. So you don’t necessarily have to have a female character show obviously feminine characteristics to look good. Most of the cosmetic armours in PoE hide the shape of the female characters in it too.

1 Like

I get that, but there was a huge thread on having a choice of sex on character creation. There are a lot of people that are “angry” that “as a female, I want to play a female sentinel and can’t” sort of thing. I never really cared much myself.

1 Like

Both the art and the 3D model offer the same level of protection for the torso. If you have to choose between impractical and looking cool or impractical and looking lame, I choose looking cool every time because it’s still impractical regardless.

I would mostly agree if it were a female Sentinel with a bare midriff we were talking about as her armour would still need to cover the same amount of area to be worth a shit however if you actually watched all of Shadiversity video he mentions the reason there was never fully protective shaped plate armour created for the female figure is simply because there weren’t enough female knights to start that trend. Somewhat impractical changes to armour design for aesthetic purpose did happen historically such as the oversized codpiece.

If you are worried about the Acolyte not having enough armour why aren’t you complaining about her bare arms and knees as those were much better armored in the concept art. For all we know she could have chainmail under that fabric around her torso or the fabric could be made of a material that offers a similar level of protection.

I did complain about that, there’s a post by me further up saying I think the look of the turnaround sheet is way better than 3D model.

And I did watch all of the video. That’s why I know there was no need for female shaped armour as the armour that existed already could accommodate the female figure. And it still retained a somewhat curvy shape due to the thinner waist and curve of the breastplate. Seems more like you didn’t pay attention to the video.