I love the crafting system

I see a lot of constructive feedback of the crafting system, so I wanted to make sure I wrote down my overwhelmingly positive experiences with it so far.

What I like most about it is that I have some clear goals for my gear (thanks to @ZaeN your VK guide is sick) and I’m able to make consistent progress toward that goal. My play sessions tend to start with some monos, where I pay a lot of attention to all the gear that drops and scan for a few affixes that I know I need. Between echoes, I’ll quickly try to craft anything I picked up that looks promising and shatter the rest.

Sometimes I feel unlucky. I fractured an item with a rune of cleansing today… Don’t usually use those, or craft on normal bases, but I wanted to try it out. That one was silly and didn’t really bother me because I didn’t care much about the item to begin with. I’m sure I’ll find more winged helms with perfect crit avoidance rolls. I also fractured an item today on my first modification trying to add a t1 affix to an item I found with two good t5s already. That one hurt. I felt really bad about bricking that item so quickly. Was I too greedy to use a stability rune instead of a guardian? The frustration and sadness of losing that really promising item really caused me to stop and think about my methods for crafting and if I can improve them at all.

Other times I feel like I’ve won several lotteries in a row. Succeeding 5 or 6 crafts in a row already feels pretty good. But when I see some item I picked up as magic all of a sudden surpass an exalted item I never thought I’d replace… I’m jumping out of my chair and dancing. Personally, I enjoy the contrast between crafts that don’t work out, and the successes that make my character stronger in really visible ways.

Here’s the thing: the materials are so plentiful that I don’t feel any stress about experimenting. All the time, with everything I’ve found. Sure some of the set affixes are rare and take some time to find. But I still feel like I have enough Leviathian/Purifier/Protective shards to roll the dice on any reasonable crafting base I can find. I love that the tools and ingredients are all plentiful. Since I get to experiment so many times, the 1% fractures really do feel like they only happen 1% of the time.

1 Like

Agree with almost all of this, especially the experimentation part. I will say I still am not a fan of damaging or destructive shatters. I don’t mind my progress being halted because of a fracture but having it undone or outright destroyed is not something I find worth the risk.

That said the new ideas they’ve got coming might change that so looking forward to them.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.