Gender locked classes

I know that there’s no law against using such a common name for female magic users, but PoE’s classes are kinda “famous” among the ARPG community, similar to how diablo’s are too. So I just thought they would prefer to try to differentiate the classes in LE, hence them trying to use Warlock instead of Witch.

Crone is a very rarely used word, but it also means a very old woman. Which the Acolyte isn’t.

True, but the acolyte is also not a man, which a warlock is. Hence why I wanted to get some suggestions for alternative names for the class.

Hex as a noun means someone who practices witchcraft.

Hex as a noun… Hex: No one escapes death… PTSD is kicking back up :confused:
(bloodpoints if anyone understood this reference!

On a serious note, gender choice feels like it should be in every game. It’s not in LE now, but after seeing EHG’s questions and such regarding this, I feel it will be.

I am not against your idea and opinion but if they had to do 100000 more things on the game thats the last one on the list they should do. I do not want any kind of character customization for now. I appreciate the chars how they are/look like I just want a better optimization for the game and as soon as I finish all the acts and have a nice amount of hours in end game Ill throw my complains/ideas/feedback.

What the fuck is wrong with all the people playing female Warlocks in WoW! How can they do this? Why is it even technically possible?! Please save me from this weird world…

:scream: :scream: :scream: :scream:

1 Like

Definitions, although factual and wholly true, are not used by the weird world fully, unfortunately. Could you imagine if it did…?

Warlock: a man who practices witchcraft; a sorcerer.

Witch: 1. a woman thought to have magic powers, especially evil ones, popularly depicted as wearing a black cloak and pointed hat and flying on a broomstick.

1. an ugly or unpleasant woman.

What does ‘Warlock’ scream about a man’s appearance? lol

Have you guys and girls ever thought about the possibility that creating a male sub class for a female character is to give transgender people a class to identify with? :kissing_heart:

I think it’s just cosmetic thing and I’m are here to enjoy the game and the playstyle and not neccesarily identify with the character I’m playing… I’m not sure why you are forcing “transgender” stuff into a vide game either, what’s the purpose of it?.. It’s nowhere near being relevant and I would rather see some key aspect of the game fixed first as we have quite a lot of them.

1 Like

Hey buddy!
I do not force anything.

This was meant as a more “funny” reply to the discussion to change the name of the Acolyte subclass “Warlock” to something else due to the fact that dictionary says Warlock is defined as “male” while the Acolyte obviously is a female character.

Maybe you did not follow the whole discussion on the “gender locked classes”. There are many people that in fact do or want to identify with the class they play. These people have pointed out that they would like to see a gender choice at character creation. And this is why the whole topic has been created in the first place.

While my last post was meant as a joke - I do not think that EHG called a female class Warlock to adress transgender identification - I dont get your point:

Do you think “transgender stuff” is irrelevant for video games? Why? Indeed it is very underrepresented topic in games. But I would not exclude it’s relevance per se.

And using the term “transgender” in a discussion about gender is permitted, I think.

But please don’t take this too serious. I’m not going to say that there has to be a transgender choice. No idea how it would even look like. If somebody is born male and feels like female he/she could easily just chose female or male. So with gender choice between male and female even transgender people would be happy, I think.

My view on gender lock has not changed since this discussions started. It’s not vital for me, but I would not mind.

Yeah, I do admit that I didn’t have a chance to go through all of it, as the topic is kind of lenghty, so yeah I didn’t get your joke, my bad.

I don’t mind having choice when it comes to gender, still I can imagine that implementing that would require a lot of work (new models etc.), so it would be probably at the very bottom of my backlog if I were a developer. I would rather see them spending time on new end game content or overhauling crafting than this :wink:

Fair point. The official stance of EHG (somewhere buried in this thread) is that it might come in the future, but without any promise and defenitely not before release.

1 Like

All POE classes are gender-locked. Most ARPGs are.

Apparently they wont be in POE 2.

1 Like

Negative.

No you didn’t think about it or no you don’t agree with the statement?

I wanted to say “no” but I needed 8 characters (minimum). Read his question…and No is my answer. Pretty straight forward.

Yeah, but his question was “have you ever thought about a thing”, to which you replied no, therefore you haven’t thought about it. Unless you have thought about it you just disagree with it.

Give me Brienne of Tarth please!

I love this! lol It’s the usual straight guy response, and in my case, the reason why I typically play male characters. It’s funny, because a lot of gay guys will play female characters, because they can look more fabulous (unless it’s a game like GW2 where male toons can be just as).

Or as some kind of betrayer, or poisoner, etc. . . hmm. . .Acolyte and Rogue haha

It’s funny being in a lgbt guild in WoW. . .75% are healers, 20% are tanks, and 5% are dps. . .it’s maddening. haha

I love the Templar class, and usually play one, but it drives me crazy that he doesn’t wear pants! You see those skinny old man legs constantly. haha

I’d say overall that gender locked characters don’t bother me, especially when they have their own back story when you’re playing a character, not a class. Most of the time I’d gravitate towards playing a male character, but that’s my bias as a gay dude, but it doesn’t bother me to have to play a female character sometimes. I think at some point, you have to learn to suspend your disbelief and enjoy aspects of the game for what they are, but I can understand why people would not play a game that has gender locked characters.