Gender locked classes

My take on the Acolyte backstory (and I may not have been paying attention), was that she was basically frustrated with her male teachers & found the necro side of things way more interesting (& potentially more in line with her innate abilities) & then told them to go **** themselves & headed off to deal with her education herself rather than leave it up to the staid old fuddy duddies who may not have been able to educate (or innovate) their way out of a wet paper bag.

Made my day :joy:

This kind of conversations happen, when @Llama8 is bored, I think. Love it. Very entertaining :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Yea, I do it too though. I just like to debate. I even argue against things I am actually in favor of just to play devils advocate and flesh out the full argument. Some don’t have the patience for it though, as evidenced by my argument about stealing accounts in the “Skill Plaque” thread. :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the warning. That’s exactly what this forum needs. People arguing for things they don’t believe in.

1 Like

I don’t do it to be a pain. I do it to strengthen the other side of the argument. Having an echo chambers helps nobody.

Is this meant ironically? :upside_down_face:

I personally think it’s better to not have customizable gender in the case where you’re playing as a specific character (which seems to be the case with Last Epoch), because it gives a stronger sense of identity to them as a person, but also in that case it’s good to give consideration to your representation; i totally get how it sucks that only 1 of 4 characters right now is female. it’s good that that will be evened out more when rogue comes out, and i’m glad to hear that acolyte isn’t meant to be evil, though it’s a little unfortunate that the 2/3 split is biased against girls as that bias sure has a habit of cropping up in games like this.

this, though…this is super disappointing to hear. you had an even representative split and even included an androgynous character (as a non-binary person who almost never gets to play as myself in games, that would have been AWESOME!), and then threw that all out because your early supporters were sexist? magic isn’t realistic either, we’re already in a fantasy world full of fantasy culture and people couldn’t wrap their heads around a girl in an army? i’m pretty new to Last Epoch still and i’ve been enjoying it all so far but this is such a downer that your team caved on that.

3 Likes

Hmm. Interesting perception.

I agree with Bunnu in that you had the idea. You heard the feed back. Then you let go of your idea. I believe ‘in general, people are wrong.’ They get an immediate impression on something and run with it instead of giving it some critical thought.

Man, a female sentinel would be badass.

1 Like

Honest question, how many people (or rather, what % of your population) should you annoy with a thing before you change it? Changing one’s stance on a thing after feedback isn’t necessarily a bad thing, I think it depends on which side of the argument one is.

I agree & hopefully they will add that when they can.

1 Like

I’m pretty much insensible to such feature after years of PoE but on on a technical standpoint is that really something difficult to implement now in the current state of the game ?
Or is this more a problem of ressources (time/person) that you prefer focus on more crtitical aspect of the development ? (which is perfectly understandable)

As the devs stated up above, it’s a resource thing, they’d need to have double the voice work & 3d models (since there’s physiological differences if you weren’t aware :wink: ) & animations. You might be able to get away with less different models for the Sentinel since she would be covered with heavy armour for the most part, but the other classes are all in some form of cloth (if that for the Primalist) where the differences would be more obvious.

I agree. It being a good or bad thing was not my point. I was just iterating my thoughts if what Bunnu is insinuating is true. I shouldn’t have wrote that in a ‘factual’ tone, so that’s on me. Usually I find there’s a whole lot more to things, so I tried to keep my two cents ambiguous. Rereading it, seems I failed lol. Ah well.

1 Like

In the end you can’t make everyone happy anyway. Imagine they wouldn’t made “Rogue” Female, than we would’ve one portion of people pop up complaing there is only 1 Female to play. If they would’ve stayed with Female Knight, than obviously people would complain because they want to play themself as a knight. Than again i look at one of my friends and he couldn’t have cared less about Knight being female, but preferd if Necromancer would be a male.

I for one are happy i get a male Knight, not because i don’t think, especially in a “Fantasy” styled Game Female Knights or Warriors are possible (infact some of my favorite Anime Characters are infact female knights like Saber from Fate / Stay Knight or Erza from Fairy Tale, also the Female Protagonist of AC Odyssey is sick, though technically she isn’t a Knight but a Spartan(?) and in RPG’s i did sometimes create a Female Warrior / Knight myself… not to mention that i did on Diablo 3 each class max level on each gender), it’s simply because of two Reasons: First of all majority of time if i roleplay myself in a Videogame with Class-Choice i go with Warrior/Knight, because it feels the most natural to me(in a sense of what i might be capable of. I would be too clumsy to handle a bow, and to lazy to study the nature of magic…), Secondly if i’ve to decide between a Male or Female Knight, i’d still say that “visually” or based on “style” a bulky Knight Armor still fits better a male(again visually) due the emphasis on the more bulky frame male bodys have in general, meanwhile other classes like Rogue and such emphasis (visually) better on the female body frame. So for me it’s also more of an aesthetical thing, though i still prefer to have a option of both.

So yet again like i mentioned i don’t think if you genderlock a class, you can make everyone happy. Some people would prefer the one or another. The only way they could’ve made everyone happy would’ve been to give the option to choose gender for each class, but as we know it’s not possible due funds / ressource limitation.

Ok, it’s off topic, but: Awesome Anime :star_struck:

1 Like

I’m very interested in having more character options.
I don’t understand the question about more than 2 genders. Both genders as option for every class would be really nice.
I understand how some people say they don’t want to play a girl. Same for me just from the other side: I don’t want to play a guy. :slight_smile:
Full character creation editors would be a dream but since it’s an indie game I would pay for it as DLC or something after release.
Changing face, height, skin/hair colors etc would be an awesome start. Voice not needed as it’s way too much work, time and costs to do those.

2 Likes

Let me lend my support to the “don’t care” side of the debate. In fact, I would vastly prefer it if you spent your scarce resources on performance optimizations instead so I didn’t have to run the game at 800x600 resolution in order to achieve a reasonable frame rate (only half-joking; I’m playing on a Surface Laptop 3).

2 Likes

That’d be your problem then (as I’m sure you know).

waits for someone to ask the devs to optimise the game sufficiently for them to be able to play it on a 486SX-25 in 320x240

Hey now, they did ask for people’s opinions! I was actually surprised that I could even run the game on an ultrabook. But as it turns out, the only real performance problem stems from their motion blur implementation, which you currently can’t turn off (but which I’m assuming you’ll eventually be able to turn off, since there is a convenient but unfortunately non-functional toggle available in the graphics settings).

2 Likes

With Turbo enabled…

Ok, I understand now, thanks