Doubts about Elemental protection

What is the meaning of elemental protection?

Hey there. This guide helped me better understand how everything is calculated.

Protections take the place of resistances in other games. Instead of the usual damage reduction from resistances as a %, protections serve to absorb some of the damage that is dealt to your character & reduce the amount of hp you loose.

The amount of benefit you get from a protecton is dependant on your hp (and/or ward). Damage reduction = damage dealt x (health / (health + protection)).
So if the damage dealt is 100, your hp is 200 & your protection is 100, then the damage you take= 100 x (100 / (200+100)) = 100 x 1/3.

I don’t think you understood my question.

For example if I get a shield that gives me Elemental protections +50, does that mean that if all my resistances are at 200 the result is 250 at all?
I show below what I understand is correct…

+50 Elemental Protections

Fire 200 = 250
Lightning 200 = 250
Cold 200 = 250
Armour 200 = 250
Poison 200 = 250
Necrotic 200 = 250
Void 200 = 250

My native language is not English, I’m very sorry

Only Fire, Cold, and Lightning are Elemental.

1 Like

MM Thanks so much, close the thread plz

I’ve watched the video. Finally some nice explanation. I did some calculations and came to conclusiion that the scaling of HP and resistance is linear. If you use play with the formula:
( MAXHP - (( 1 - RES/MAXHP+RES) * DAMAGE)) //MAXHP = HP left in %
with same (MAXHP+RES) amount it will always be same damage in %.

1 example: 100 hp 2900 resistance (3000 sum) getting 500 damage
( 100 - ((1 - 2900/100+2900) * 500)) // 100 => (100 - 16,66) // 100 => 83,33 % HP left

2 example: 500 hp 2500 resistance (3000 sum) getting 500 damage
( 500 -((1 - 2500/500+2500) * 500)) // 500 => (500 - 83,33) // 500 => 83,33 % HP left

3 example: 3000 hp 0 resistance (3000 sum) getting 500 damage
( 3000 - (( 1 - 0 / 3000+ 0)) * 500)) // 3000 => (3000 - 500) // 3000 => 83,33 % HP left

You probably can proof this easily mathematically but I’m too lazy.

tl;dr 1HP = 1RES for 1 damage type but since there are a lot damage types HP is more universal.

PS. maybe everything I wrote is bullshit but that’s how I undestand it

If you only ever took 1 hit, yes. But since leech, life on hit & life regen are a thing, you’ll recover back to your full hp quicker with lower hp/higher protections. So your example 1 is more effective since it’ll be a lot easier to regen/leech/etc back up to full for the next big hit you don’t move out of the way of.

That’s actually an interesting point. I’m pretty new to this game so I don’t know a lot. I also haven’t played any endgame yet.

There are 7 (?) types of resistances and also CA and GB.

So if you are running 100 HP build with all RES very high with Lifeleech/HP regen etc. you’re probably invinsivle (unless some monsters ignore resistance or smtg.)

But I’m not sure if maxing (almost) all resistances is as easy as just getting a lot of HP. Otherwise having too much HP would be harder to heal up again etc.

If you’re doing some boss runs like in other games (don’t know if it’s a thing) you can just nearmax the needed resistances and you’re good to go.

Did anyone do some theorycrafting? I mean you probably need a maths diploma to correctly compare all the possibilities and get the best ratio. Which is probably too much of a work since they can change things in every patch.

Yes and no. Even with very high protections you can still be one shot, since the maximum damage in a single hit you could take is (health + ward + protection).

HP stacking is simpler and “protects” against everything (including dots, which Glancing Blow has no effect on since dots don’t hit) but it’s harder to heal to full (and make them pay).

Protection stacking spreads your defences across a number of damage types but makes healing/leech more effective.

Dodge is apparently very effective but not something I’ve ever tried.

Ward can be very effective if you have a way to generate ward on hit & is the reason why the highest arena waves achieved (prior to 0.7.8’s rebalance of ward) were all caster classes.

The fact that you can be one shot by some of the bosses means those bosses need dialed down. There shouldn’t be a mob in the game that one shots you because you have to stack one stat through the roof just to get a 50/50 chance of survival.

One shots are nothing new and avoiding beeing hit is the way to go in hack and slays since ages.

Except when the mobs jump onto you and one shot you. In that case that’s not exactly avoidable.

True but somehow I never had this problem outside of the arena but I mostly play tanky toons so maybe tankienes helps after all.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.