Ascended Characters

First of all, I want to say that I’m loving Last Epoch. The game play is fun, the endgame is interesting, if a little monotonous, and the variety of builds is incredible.

There’s only one thing I really don’t like. At least for the duration of the beta, can we get the ability to switch between ascended classes back? I don’t have time to level 3 of each class to 90+ so that I can experience each of trees at near full power.

As you guys make changes to skills and passives, you need feedback on those changes. My level 92 mage is now stuck in the spellblade tree, and I can offer no input on anything related to sorcerer. I understand why you’d want the decision to ascend to be a milestone in the game, and the importance of that being a permanent decision, but I think it’s not doing anything but impeding our ability to offer you valid feedback during the beta.

Please rethink this change and allow us to experiment with builds without having to needlessly level multiple characters of the same class.

Thanks!

1 Like

Cannot agree more. This is a huge issue which has to be adressed.

I think there should be an option to Descend, or something like that… but ascending to all 3 would be too much–some classes would get actually broken synergy like that. It needs to feel special choosing one ascendancy.

No, you misunderstand. Nobody is suggesting that you be able to ascend to multiple classes at once, only that once I remove all my points from spellblade while respecing, that I then be able to ascend in the sorcerer tree.

I just want to be able to switch between advanced classes on the same character.

1 Like

Gotcha, that’s legit XD

In other words, when I remove all my points from spellblade, I want to be considered a mage again, and no longer be considered a spellblade. Currently, once I ascend to spell blade, I’ll always be a spellblade regardless of what I do with my points.

1 Like

I think, even in release version, there is an argument to be made that you should be able to switch ascendancy. With the revamped respec system, it doesn’t make a lot of sense when you remove passives to put you under 25 points that you can’t put those points into switching your ascendancy.

I get why it has to be that way (you should play the game rather than respeccing every five minutes) but the UI at least needs to have a strong indicator of “this choice is final, no backsies allowed”. Later in the game, it needs to remind you “You picked something 60 levels ago, so you can’t pick this anymore”.

Further, I’ve once already clicked “Ascend to…” rather than “Preview Passives” button. Result: swear, delete character, start again :frowning:

1 Like

I tend to agree, but I wasn’t going to push it just yet. Maybe there could be a cost for switching? 10 levels or something like that, I don’t know. All I know is the way it is now isn’t fun and needs more thought.

1 Like

This comes as a surprise. I only ever made a new character, when the fees for respeccing was too high.

I amount in my memories that I have resepecc´d several times, with basically all classes, from one tree to another. Level 70+, definetly ascended.

Then I respecced all Points, and I ascended in a different tree.

Isn`t that possible? And if not, how in the hell couldn´t that have hit me hard until now? Ive changed my shaman several times from a werebear to a caster to a summoner. Just by respeccing all the Points, and going to another tree.

I might just log in and try it right now lol.

Or is it about the Name? What the character is named? Mage, Spellblade, etc.? :stuck_out_tongue:

You can’t do it since they changed the respec process. Back when you just went and paid an exorbitant amount of gold to lose all your points, yes it was possible. Now that you respec individual points for a low fee, it’s no longer possible.

That’s why I asked if we could get the ability to change advanced classes back. Because we used to be able to do it, and now we can’t :smiley:

Oh I see, we cant no longer! If I had knewn that, I`d have been more cautious of using all the free respecs on pretty much all my classes xD

On the other hand, finally some initiative to enjoy the leveling process again. Because I love seeing my character grow vs. just respeccing my caster into a summoner. :stuck_out_tongue:

But respeccing and trying new builds, including other trees, is currently integral to the enjoyment of the game. At any time, they could change a key passive, or skill node, that make your current build, or even the entire advanced class, completely useless. This can happen due to a bug or even just unforseen consequences of a change.

I don’t want to go back and play through all the same content, and grind up to level 90+ via monolith and arena on a new character just because they broke my current class/advanced class. I want to continue to enjoy high level play while they fix whatever is broken.

Furthermore, the impact of taking certain nodes, or not taking certain nodes, cannot be fully felt until those upper levels are reached, so as I said in my OP, they’re gimping feedback by locking us into a single advanced class per character.

And furthermore, there’s simply no good reason to have this restriction during the beta. It doesn’t buy them anything. They don’t have to care about long term economy concerns, or characters becoming too powerful, or people min/maxing. Especially when, for all intents and purposes, this is currently a single player game.

1 Like

I just looked into it an can confirm. After the patch I specced my lvl 80 Acolyte from Necromancer to a Lich (who kicks ass btw) and I just realized that my lvl 47 Acolyte that I didnt Play in a while was About to become that kickass-Lich… So now my lvl 47 Lich is obsolete and I have no summoner left! :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes and no IMHO. On the one Hand, it allows for easier testing, alleviates the lack of Content / multiplayer, allows for relatively easy comparison between two similar builds with different ascendancies (like physical caster shaman vs. physical caster druid or something) etc.

On the other Hand, Feedback about the experience of leveling your second, third, fourth character is valuable as well, as respeccing will probably be made harder in live than it is now, so the devs also Need info about the replayability, releveling of characters, and if they’d Need to Change something about that.

I see no harm in reintroducing the full respec we had earlier though. Expensive so that you don’t want to Switch your ascendancy three times a day (as a certain permanence to your character builds your Connection towards it), but available. While the respeccing of single Points is rather cheap and allows for many Detail changes about your build.
Worst case: You “Need” to Level up three characters per class you want to Play.

You make some good points, but the above point is going to happen either way. Respeccing is tedious. Even when you could click a button and lose all your points, it was still tedious. Because of that people are still going to level alts just to have a “permanent” character in each tree, as long as they enjoy playing both/all three trees.

My issue is I have a level 92 Spellblade, and I really don’t like where spellblade is right now. Maybe I’ll never like it again, I don’t know. What I do know is, I have neither the time, nor the inclination to get another mage to level 92, so that character is currently dead to me.

This is a bad situation for all the reasons I listed above, plus, it just feels bad, man.

Just wanted to say that we’re aware of this concern, thanks for the feedback. I’ve raised it for discussion internally.

The goal long term is that the mastery you ascend to is a significant choice, so if the decision is able to be reversed it will be more expensive than a simple point respec. I don’t know if we’ve determined exactly how this will work but we should be able to get a temporary measure in for now.

3 Likes

Thanks, you guys are the absolute best dev team I’ve ever had the pleasure of interacting with. Makes me wish I worked for you instead of slaving away on my own bad ideas. :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.