Which business model would you prefer?

I would expect saves to carry over if you try for free then later buy the game.

Agreed!

The ideal is definitely for them to ask a few questions in chat, get helpful replies, and have that positive interaction with the community help them decide to stick around. :slight_smile:

We will not be doing this.

We’ve decided that, while acceptable for a F2P game, it’s less appropriate for us to do so.

[quote quote=5565]Huge proponent of free to play, but I think a 15$ price point is fair in order to fight bots/rmt and get some initial funds for the game.

Hope people realize this game is not a PoE clone, it’s has great elements from a number of ARPG and a bit more akin to Diablo with the individual skill talent trees.[/quote]
Thanks a lot! :slight_smile:

I have always preferred paying to play from the start $15-20$ is not much to ask for a good action rpg. If you have good micros, that are cosmetic or quality of life free to play also works. Heck you could do both but then people will start to call it greed. I see those two as the best options. Also are you going to work with steam? I am not sure if that has been asked yet.

I think we should take a wait and see approach. If the $15 dollars has people biting than I would for sure stick with it. However if the game is having trouble gaining traction then make it F2P. Either way I am happy to be a backer and see whatever you guys do with.

Regarding stash tabs, I am glad to hear that you’ll not be charging real currency for 'em. However, if you would happen to ever release special tabs of any sort, whether just looks or actual organization differences, I’d say that’d be fair to charge money for! That way it’s not pay-to-win.

I sincerely appreciate this comment. :slight_smile:

However we have gone on record as saying we won’t sell stash tabs, and it’s possible that this would be viewed by some as a betrayal. It’s important that the community can trust us.

I don’t think it’s fair to compare one B2P game with another F2P game, the vast majority of ARPGS from the early Diablo series until something like Grim Dawn have all required an upfront cost and the majority of them have been content rich based off of that, only really with Diablo 3 has the cash cow tried to be milked and POE is very much the exception to the rule.

A small outlay for a game in a genre that is so woefully under represented shouldn’t be cause for concern, it should be rewarded, people are putting time, effort and most likely significant personal money in to something that could quite easily ruin them for a long time to come and aren’t doing it with the sole purpose of hopefully hitting the big time and then milking the player base for features that should be in a game by default.

Hello from Wraeclast.

If you do feel like charging for $15, I suggest putting some Epoch points with it, say for example 150 points, or whatever you think is fair.

This sounds like a great idea and almost act like an induction/tutorial to mtx!

Pay to play and then mtx system for the on-going.

Personally, I think $14.99 is a good price point. For the normal game-playing adult, $15 is a small small drop in a bucket. I chalk $15 up to a month of game time in other games (like WoW, FFXIV, SWTOR, etc), so if LE can give me at least one month of enjoyment, I think it is well worth the cost.

The free demo will be a great way to advertise, get people interested in the base game, and a way that people who want to play with friends can get others interested in the game! In a few other forums where I have mentioned Last Epoch, many players are interested in seeing the game, but are unsure they want to pay the $15 to try it out. With the demo, it would be easy to get them in, and that initial $15 will be easy for them to fork out.

I have seen a few others mention that they think the $15 should come with some form of cosmetic points. Without knowing what cosmetics will cost in game, this could be a good thing. For instance, having access to the “market” of cosmetics, and for purchasing the game, you can buy something out of the smallest tier of cosmetics. Would be a good tutorial on how to use the cosmetic market.

I was one of the rare people that didn’t really care for PoE when I tried it out, and I think that D3 is too simplified, so having an ARPG in the middle ground is what I am looking for when I am not playing an MMO. I look forward to this game, and the customization of each character class.

~Loak

I really hope this will work out for you!

i definitely vote for buy to play with MTX.

Hello there friends,

The 14,99 Starter price is a good decision.

MTX for cosmetics, pets, followers, maybe even maps are very welcomed.

Exclusive maps in MTX

Themed maps in MTX (Class specific)

What about a dungeon creator, where players would upload their own maps to try out?

When you implement this Editor, you can charge for what ever you would like, such as templates and 3D models for walls etc.

I think a base fee and just cosmetics in the store would be the ideal model as it would get rid of bots/spammers and would not make the game pay to win :slight_smile: just gas pay to fashion haha

From my point of a view a fully buy to play model is ideal : you pay the game once like $40-$60 and then you can play as much as you want on the online servers (like for D2), there’s no subscription and P2W features, and normally not any microtransaction of any sort. Now I can understand that for a small indie studio you need a sustainable way of making money so the $15 + non P2W microtransactions look fair to me as long as all the QoL features are not monetized and included into the base game.

Thanks for the feedback!

We have committed to not selling stash tabs. Are there any other specific examples you’ve concerns about?

No problem :slight_smile: I was thinking about the stash tabs, the UI too if it gives any piece of advantage (but there wasn’t any statement about that so I don’t worry) , but in general anything that could give any sort of “facilitation” to the way to play. In plain terms that the microtransactions should be strictly delimited to being cosmectics but I guess that’s what is planned lol (like in PoE minus the stash tabs).

QoL features include stash tab functionality; not just quantity of stash tabs. Both functionality and quantity have been monetized by GGG, not just quantity. Character slots are another example: Sure, you can create a second account to get more slots, but then you have to deal with muling stuff between accounts. I agree with Synopsis that a good rule of thumb is “If the MTX relates in any way to QoL, it should be added to the base game for all to enjoy and not made into an MTX.”

My reason is simple. There are two prevailing definitions of pay2win:

1. An MTX provides an advantage over other players. ANY advantage. (This is mine.) QoL improvements usually fall into this category.

2. An MTX provides an advantage over other players which is scalable. That is to say, the more you pay the more powerful you become. (This is GGG’s, and also that of most apologists for GGG’s decision to sell QoL.) XP-booster packs, real-money loot boxes, and D3’s real-money auction house all fit into this category.

A popular defense for monetizing QoL MTXs is, “You can accomplish the same thing as the paying players by jumping through hoops; therefore you can’t call it pay2win.” But that defense does not hold water: In any economy-driven multiplayer game, the ratio of loot gained : time spent becomes the win condition, and QoL improvements almost always save players time.

[quote quote=1654]EDIT:
We have decided on the following;

• Stash tabs will not be sold for real money as that’s not becoming of a Buy To Play game.
[/quote]

Hi guys, maybe im a bit late. but i have one request for your Stash Tab decision: PLEASE give us at least the amount of Stash Tabs, that you can store every single Unique & Set Item at least once. For me that is one point why i prefer PoE over all other games of this genre, because i can store every single items i want (for a few $ ofc but i spend so much into PoE that i dont realy care about 3$ per stash) and dont have to decide if i want to store Unique a) or Unique b). I also dont like the method from D3 where you can get one more stash tab if you get a special condition in the Season, because i want at any time dicide if i want to play this game. And this feature feels like i have to play to “unlock” the full game. Wich is why i cancled to play D3 too (this and many other reasons).

tl:dr - Please give us a huge amount of stash stabs to store every single Unique & Set Item at least once

[quote quote=1654]EDIT:
We have decided on the following;

• Stash tabs will not be sold for real money as that’s not becoming of a Buy To Play game.
[/quote]

Hi guys, maybe im a bit late. but i have one request for your Stash Tab decision: PLEASE give us at least the amount of Stash Tabs, that you can store every single Unique & Set Item at least once. For me that is one point why i prefer PoE over all other games of this genre, because i can store every single items i want (for a few $ ofc but i spend so much into PoE that i dont realy care about 3$ per stash) and dont have to decide if i want to store Unique a) or Unique b). I also dont like the method from D3 where you can get one more stash tab if you get a special condition in the Season, because i want at any time dicide if i want to play this game. And this feature feels like i have to play to “unlock” the full game. Wich is why i cancled to play D3 too (this and many other reasons).

tl:dr - Please give us a huge amount of stash stabs to store every single Unique & Set Item at least once