Tips for Crafting

In my small sample size (IE. my stash) I have 2 T3/T2 Magic w/ 0 Instability.
Slight correction as well.
Rare items can have zero instability. I have 3 T3/T1/T1 rares, all 0 instability.

2 Likes

Bookmarked! Awesome compilation.

2 Likes

Good :D. I don’t know exactly the limit for this, but I think the important thing is to know that if there is no instability in the item, the first craft has a 100% chance. Making the transition from T3-> T4 with ease is something very strong.

I double checked the crafting chance, and it was 100% for rares with 0 instability.

The second lowest instability Rare I have is a T3/T2/1, with 2. It has the expected failure rates, 2% for instability, 5% per affix tier.

2 Likes

crafting from common items is more risky than crafting from a good magic base. I almost always try to find a good magic item with one or preferably two t3+ affixes I need and then to craft.

1 Like

From my own research, I’m pretty sure that the instability on items that have not been crafted yet goes like this …

You get up to the first 5 affix points “free”, with no stability cost.

1/0/0/0
5/0/0/0
3/0/0/0
1/1/1/1
4/1/0/0 etc will all have the same zero instability.

If the items drops with more than a total of 5 affix points, there will be 2 instability per affix point, regardless of how many different affixes are on the item.

Each of these additional affix points above 5 on found/gambled gear is equivalent to a successful craft with a Glyph of Stability and it’s maximum 60% reduction = 2 instability.

3/1/1/1 = 2 instability
6/0/0/0 = 2 instability
7//7/0/0 = 18 instability
7/6/4/2 = 28 instability … before crafting

It isn’t very clear, but every successful craft will add 5 instability.

The main reason for using Glyph of Stability at the start is that when a craft is successful, instead of getting 5 instability added, you might only get 2, 3 or 4 (max 60% reduction of 5 = 2)

Glyph of the Guardian changes the chance of success and the odds of fracturing in the players’ favour, but will always add 5 instability.

Rune of Refinement and Rune of Removal both add 2 instability. Both of these can be used with Glyph of the Guardian to reduce the chance of fracture or Glyph of Stability for a chance to reduce the instability added from 2 to 1.

2 Likes

Very clear … The information about the instability makes a lot of sense and matches what Hellot said. In that sense, I believe that the best basis for crafting would be an item with a T4 and T1 affix, would you agree ?. (Excluding the exceptional T6 / T7 cases that can generate very good things or not). I would like to add this information in the text so that people who don’t read all the comments get to know it too. Can I put it?

1 Like

Yes, mate - if it helps by having it in the main post, go ahead.

Feel free to re-work it all if you like to make it fit in with your post. :+1:

2 Likes

But can you confirm that you have a T4 item with instability 0? I checked some of my items and bought some, and all with T4 have instability 2, and they only have this single affix. So, if you have any items with T4 or T5 with instability 0, this can be random. Or, what I think is most likely, it is valid if the sum of the tiers is not greater than 5 and if no tier is greater than 3. In this case 3/2 would be valid, but 4/1 would not.

1 Like

You might want to write a disclaimer on top of your post :). It’s a pretty bad idea and a waste of ressources to craft on white items because they’ll sracture before you are close to 4 T5. As stated above… best item base to work with are items with the pre or affixes you need on it because these will always (afaik) the least ammount stability used like @Madriax explained.

1 Like

That’s interesting … because I just went through a load of stuff in my stash and found a similar thing. I think these items are bugged, though and I will raise a bug report to get devs feedback.

4/0/0/0 = 2 instability (bug)
4/1/0/0 = 2 instability (bug)
4/2/0/0 = 2 instability (correct)
5/0/0/0 = 4 instability (bug)
5/1/0/0 = 4 instability (bug, should be 2)
5/2/0/0 = 4 instability (correct)

1 Like

I agree when it comes to craft for the late game, when you already have a good item, but want an excellent one, so it really doesn’t make sense to craft common items. However, if you are in the early game and want to craft for leveling it is totally ok, and if you are entering the late game and are still looking for a good item, you can get it by crafting a common item. Note that what matters in the base are not just affixes - Unred Scroll as I gave in the example, if you have good affixes but only 2% base crit you will not want it, however a common 6% base Unred Scroll is worth crafting if you no longer have any that is at least reasonable / good. When I talk about craft in the late game and during the process I show that you should look for magical items to craft (but I think it is important to keep the option of common item for specific cases).

1 Like

This is one reason why I think LE crafting is logicly flawed. We descrease the stability of an item by adding tiers to the affixes and suffixes. Then again we can find items with so little instability it goes against everything we experience while crafting. I only see two reasons for this:

1. It’s a game mechanic an noone cares.
  2. Our toons are the worst crafters in the game and should ask a dog to craft their items because it’s most likely saver.

This drives me mad ^^ but then again sooner or later I might find my “I don’t give a S…” Zen place.

@Delayisreal I don’t care about leveling items. I found a level 4 Spear with 53 dmg for example. I’ll NEVER EVER get rid of this thing because you oneshot most mobs untill lvl 15 with it ^^… outside of bosses or champions with certain mods. I change my items while leveling a lot and keep the good stuff for löater twinks and I never had the need to waste crafting mats for early game toons. Crafting get’s intresting when you get into the ice maps and have 0 cold resi for whatever reason.
Outside of this I never felt the urge to craft anything just to be 10-120 minutes faster because I have enough time.

2 Likes

Maybe they made some changes to the system. I will wait until I have something more precise about it.

1 Like

I’ve raised a bug report as it is only those 4 combinations that do not work with the rules.

1 Like

I blame Torchlight for instability mechanics …

It makes sense to do it this way.

The player is ‘rewarded’ for finding the right affixes/tiers on an item bu having reduced instability and penalised if they want to create the perfect item from scratch.

A found/gambled item with some good base tiers has a better chance of becoming 5/5/5/5 than if you started with a 0/0/0/0.

It keeps the item hunt alive.

2 Likes

Those items are fine. The formula for instability “cost” is a bit more complex.

There is threshold after T3; low tiers T1-T3 and high tiers T4-T7 are treated differently:

• Any tier above threshold always costs 2 instability.
  • You get 5 below threshold tiers for free, exceeding tiers cost 2 instability each.

I’ll try to visualize this with couple of examples. Each star in the following examples is one tier, I added space to separate above threshold tiers.

Example 1: 5/1/0/0

This item has total 4 tiers below threshold, they cost nothing because you get 5 tiers for free.
2 tiers are above threshold so the total cost is 2 * 2 = 4 instability.

Example 2: 5/4/3/2

This item has 11 tiers below threshold, first 5 are free so tiers below threshold cost (11-5) * 2 = 12.
3 tiers are above threshold so the cost is 3 * 2 = 6. Total cost is 12+6 = 18 instability.

2 Likes

Thankyou for a detailed explanation.

It does make those items with 4/0, 4/1, 5/0 and 5/1 less desirable to craft as they start with higher instability than other items and have the same instability as 4/2, 4/1/1, 5/2 and 5/1/1 items which seems a little odd as it only affects these 4 variations and no others.

1 Like

I updated some things and added others. If you find something that doesn’t feel right, let me know. :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.