The new defence system and its future

This is true, but maybe the issue isn’t the new system as a whole as much as it’s impact on your specific class (Sentinel).

The arena is here and here to stay. The arena is the place to test personal skill, gear and the game.

We we’re promised a singleplayer game as much as a multiplayer game.

So you better learn dealing with people that like arena, like arena players deal with players that like poe and mario party.

2 Likes

Thanks was good be called names when it was exactly what i described, even worse. But who doesnt like to be called names for no reason?

Can you just stop spamming this thread with nitpicking on Lizard?

Its getting real boring real fast…

1 Like

It’s not, because the 75% in the “75% prots” is the pertinent information. The protections & health value in the defences prior to 0.7.10 was only ever to calculate the damage reduction, nothing more. So Lizard giving the % damage reduction is all you need to know for an example with a non-one-shot.

If he’d said “WTF I got one-shot & I had 75% protections”, then yes, you’d be correct because we’d be missing the amount of hp (& ideally the amount of protection so we don’t need to work back to it). But since this was just an example of how damage changed between the two schemas (schemata?), giving the damage reduction is sufficient.

1 Like

I have seen quite a few vids showing monolith runs where the character basically runs past everything to the end and then claims their reward.

I’m not judging anyone on this - but the tactic with monoliths is generally “how can I do this as fast as possible”. More runs = more drops. Simple. No problem with that at all.

In Arena, the tactic is very different - “How can I do this as safely as possible”

In monoliths, the added difficulty comes from the modifiers. These completely skew any real analysis of the base damage and defense of your character or the relative strength of mobs as the modifiers vary on every single run. This is a testing nightmare.

In Arena, there are no modifiers - so you are battling mobs at their base, unmodified stats.

This is far more useful when analysing damage/defenses/build than Monoliths due to static nature of the mobs you are killing and where the only changes that happen is they get stronger, harder to kill and more of them.

So using Arena to generate results is not elitist or over-specific or tilting the game in favour of rung-seekers.

Right now, it is almost impossible to generate valid and sensible data outside of Arena from a purely damage and defense perspective.

4 Likes

It IS MISSING it was telling: 100 damage over / 75% res
which is a FALSE CLAIM because in reality it was 100 dmg with 70% converted as phys and 12k phys res → which is CLEARLY NOT 75% res

All that said my point is:

1. FIX monster damage please, rather than bringing back the old 1 way only combo for sentinel.
  2. (IMO) Class affixes could be less grindy so we want to farm to try more stuff on multiple classes.

if i take 100 damage from an archer
what conversion is taking place?
(the archer does physical damage and all my examples in this post use physical damage enemies btw)

EXPLAIN ^^

1 Like

This I accept. I will concede this point.

This seems a bit off. There is modification, it is just scaling. The scaling is also hidden as far as I know. You see an Arena level, but how does that translate to real scaling numbers? Do Arena monsters scale past normal caps? (can they have more than 75% pen?)

Man I dont mean to be rude, but all of this is known and my post is contrasted with numbers and experience.

Arena has a liniar scaling and it gets affected by a multiplier on both damage and HP at wave 100, 200 and 300, after that the scaling is linear only.

Has it not changed since .7.8?

The mentioned multipliers that have public values on the patchnotes for 7.9.
Curve 9% faster.

Btw, the multipliers were initially bugged and I made threat that got it fixed. The feedback i got from some idividuals, was the same I’m getting now: uneducated. Thankfully arena got fixed after doing the threat on a hotfix.

2 Likes

Mobs deal 500dmg
12k phys protection EQUALS 12k HP
500 damage goes to 12k HP
→ Convert other damage into Phys and Fire

0.7.9 WITHOUT X as phys conversion
Have 2k hp
take 500 damage → die

Mobs STILL DEAL 500dmg
Protections and conversion are no more
500 damage goes to 1.5k HP
Get blapped, the end

Are you sure you understand how those conversions were working on 0.7.9?

To be clear, Lizard’s examples in this post are all based on Physical damage, which would not have been converted in any way in 0.7.9. It makes those conversions irrelevant for the sake of how scaling is working in the arena in regards to Lizard’s examples. They literally are playing no role here.

4 Likes

Maybe I should have written that better!

What I meant was that the mobs in Arena don’t have the additional modifiers that are present in monoliths that accumulate and persist over multiple timelines. Yes, they do scale, and yes, that is a “modification”. But a mob won’t suddenly gain dodge chance or chill on it etc unless it is within that mobs normal framework.

So, even with scaling, Arena test results are far more revealing as they contain less noise.

1 Like

What are you exactly converting man?

Im taking 100 physical damage xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Everything you typed there is wrong xD

Thank god…
Ive tried to explain this for a bit, no success.

Does the penetration scaling happen in Arena? If so, how? (Does the zone level change every 15 levels?)

1 Like

Scale no its still the 75% as it is in every area 75+

1 Like

armor last patch had nothing to do with conversions, are you actually trolling?

1 Like