Slow the game pace and increase combat inter-activeness

Is it weird that I pictured your avatar speaking that line?

2 Likes

Anyways getting back on topic. T6 and t7 affixes are defintely going to slow down the end game gearing. I like this. This is what I want for combat. Alother layer to to it that slows it down but makes it more interactive. Please ignore any grammar errors

1 Like

I agree. This change alone should add hours to my playtime, and perfect drops will deliver that much more of a dopamine rush.

However, as much as it will slow/enhance end-game progress, I’m unsure how it applies to combat interactiveness besides perhaps passively increasing the player’s attention.

3 Likes

I think they’ll only “slow down” the gearing if you’re talking about reaching the maximum possible tier. It’ll either have no impact on getting to the current power levels, or potentially make it a bit faster (if you’re lucky enough to get a t6/7 affix on a piece that you want & can craft around to be better than the piece you’re using at the time). But, in my pedantic opinion, adding more tiers doesn’t slow down getting to tier 5, it just adds moves the goal posts & adds more power when you get there.

Exactly, it’ll add some more hours on to the end of the amount of time it’ll take you to get the top tier gear, but it shouldn’t affect how long it’ll take you to get t5 gear.

I don’t think it would do anything.

Correct. I was saying that i would like this effect to be added to combat. How do we do that? Not slow down actual combat but make it more exciting add another layer to it?

One of my first posts on this forum was a suggestion for adding harsher monster abilities and types that push combat towards a more tactical approach. It was in response to death seal and poison overtuning but could be applicable here.

I almost feel like the game needs a difficulty inbetween “normal” & masochist where you can have that kind of thing throughout the entire game (inc early on in the campaign) without screwing over the “normal” players who don’t want that kind of challenge. Maybe like D3’s tiered difficulty system (from easy to whatever torment level they’re at now, t15?). Then instead of “just” adding to the mobs hp/damage you could give them additional abilities, “better AI” (if that can be a thing), etc.

Enemy AI tiers could be a thing, you see this in other multiplayer games with the bots in practice games all the time.

I’m all for player choice, but having something like that, especially with the additional enemy abilities and types, would almost make the game feel like multiple different games and could be a development nightmare - though I have seen it done elsewhere. Most of the time it’s in 4x type games.

1 Like

Stop setting bad games in the genre as the standard for this one please.

D3 isn’t a bad game when it comes to gameplay itself. In fact I’d consider it exemplary. It’s loot and other rpg aspects are where the game falls apart.

1 Like

The gameplay is horrible as well. The entire balance is off. The lack of viable builds and horrible skill system is garbage and its just running around blindly spamming nonsense like a dumb monkey not even spending a second per screen. Please stop talking arpgs if you think diablo 3 did anything right. Everything after Diablo 2 LoD is to be forgotten.

Just because you don’t like it (which I don’t have a problem with at all) doesn’t mean it can’t have good ideas (like the aforementioned tiers of difficulty).

Do you like PoE?

1 Like

No, the last good aRPG was Diablo 2, all others after havent come close.

Ok. Needless to say, I totally disagree. shrugs I enjoyed Titan Quest/Grim Dawn, Sacred 1 & 2, PoE on & off.

1 Like

I was more talking about it’s state on launch and for maybe a year/year and a half after when inferno/difficulty tiers were a proper challenge, at least while leveling. Gameplay felt smooth and tactical, it had the remnants of that blizzard level of polish they used to be known for. Enemies put fear into you, but could still be taken down. As I said, it’s rpg elements were mostly terrible, lacking in build diversity, loot quality, etc. That doesn’t change what it did right in combat feel.

I’d advise you calm down and dissect games properly, setting your emotion aside - even the worst of them have positives and shitting all over everything that isn’t D2 will not get us anywhere.

3 Likes

Back to topic, I a m not sure if this was already mentioned. I just have to go on thinking about the on kill effects of skills.

What about adding a chance to proc these on kill effects on bosses / rares? Soul Feast has a similar mechanic that increases ward when hitting rares. Potions have a chance to drop on hit when you fight bosses. This could be expanded to strengthen skills with on kill effects during bossfights.

Can somebody tell me if the effects like “ward gain on kill with Hungering Souls” procs with the dead of an enemy while the dot is active or has the hit/dot tick from hungering souls to deal the killing blow?

If it’s the killing blow I’d suggest to also change it to “while applied” for these kind of effects.

1 Like

I have an idea, please reflect with me.

What if mobs gain an extra layer of protection by ‘learning’.
Generally it could be that if you hit it with a damage type, say fire, it gains a percentage of protection based on the percentage of health lost.
So if you hit a mob with fire and remove 25% of its health, it gains 25% fire protection.
Hit it with cold for x% of its life, it also gets x% cold protection.
Hit it with physical… Etc.

Single skill use gives diminishing returns this way. This requires more spread out builds (and maybe extra skill slots, other discussion), especially against stronger mobs.

I see some troubles for single source like all melee physical types. This mechanic might therefore instead work on skill type instead of damage type, I have not thought it through.
Also mobs with health regain should probably be adjusted, but that can be solved by lowering the protection on health gain. Or not, making these mobs a challenge when not taken down fast.

Any reactions how this would work out?

Not sure, for me that feels like artificially forcing you to take different damage types. I think this could be a cool rare/MoF affix though.
But i would not like this as a baseline mechanic.

3 Likes

I agree entirely with what Boardman said.

But bringing a good solution is off course not easy at all.

It would require somethings like :

• Skills nodes which increase crowd control, unique ennemy focus or support power. And not DPS.

• Reducing the DPS of most of the skill, to make the skill combination necessary.

• Avoiding to develop all the “Autocast” skills (like for example Wandering Spirits). It’s efficient, but it tends to diminush the feeling of acccomplishment and difficulty.

Me too I would prefer to see the rise of a more skilled Last Epoch, which would inaugurate a ARPG a bit more tactic than what the others APRG are. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

D3 did a lot of things right. Loved the feel of combat. I liked the story. I enjoyed looking for new gear. I liked the various tiers of difficulty, though I do feel 16 was too many. Grim Dawn’s three tiers was more appropriate I think.

Please stop talking at all if you can’t handle people having a different opinion then you.

1 Like