Multiplayer

Multiplayer should be the #1 priority and it feels like a timid approach to beta test without it. It’s less about the multiplayer experience, how polished it is and how perfectly balanced the gameplay. Multiplayer is an essential and most players will get lonely and quit before delving deep enough into the game for effective testing. Also, I won’t be recommending this game to my friends solely because there is no multiplayer (I don’t care if they play it). My roommate and I ran new characters in the latest patch, then a couple hours later fired up Wolcen so we could play coop. If multiplayer isn’t the #1 priority, then I can’t image what is. Please roll out multi asap.

3 Likes

I would argue that multiplayer is the highest priority for the team. They are definitely devoting a significant amount of time and resources to it. It’s very easy to see that when multiplayer does release that it will bring a lot of new players to the game. The type of experience that these new players have during its release will probably determine their overall enthusiasm for the games release as well as how likely they would be to recommend it to others (in addition to the type of reviews the game receives).

To provide this good first impression for players you’d want to have your game performing at a fairly high level in the single player environment before introducing multiplayer as going from 1 player to up to 5 players will exacerbate any issues currently in the game. To provide this stability you also don’t want to waste development time (and money) optimizing features that may not even make it into the final game.

I’d say EHG is taking the correct approach, developing a significant amount of the content that will be in the finished product first so they can properly optimize it before releasing it to the thousands of current players and tens/hundreds of thousands of potential future customers. The last thing I want to see, and I would imagine most of the playerbase as well, would be a multiplayer launch with several issues…especially if those issues can already be seen in the single player content.

We definitely all want to have multiplayer, but no one wants to see EHG release something until they feel it is ready.

4 Likes

Man, JUST started Friday!
I got 3/4 guys that are sick of farming their gardens and we would love some multiplayer!
Still loving the game, 2 of us started, 2 of us are “curious”.
I’ll get them in here :slightly_smiling_face:
Anxiously awaiting Multi, but totally enjoying the single player quest so far!

2 Likes

@EHG_Mike just wanna say I am still eagerly awaiting for any multiplayer-related news/conversations :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE, idea. I am a developer/coder. Please put some effort into a simple roll for it interface.

The post you are quoting is 2 and a half years old. It also goes on to explain that it won’t be how things are done long term.

4 Likes

Apologies, new player, I did not realize the first thread in the forum would be 2.5 years old. :slight_smile:

Plus I trust you all know how to do things right!! :slight_smile:

I am only checking in on my new game occasionally and going back to PoE/D3.

I don’t want to spoil all the surprises so soon in beta.
(also a little concerned I am just walking through zones in standard with no challenge - lvl 28/Imperial Era… but I will give a pass that maybe I cleared too well and over-leveled myself in Ruined Era).

Thanks for the feedback.

Playing on recommended PC requirements and I get 5 FPS on my Necro summoner :slight_smile:
le_graphicsmanager.ini (502 Bytes)
My CPU load is 40% and GPU 70% and still stutter and FPS drops to 5 on Monolith mapping.
I wish you good luck to set multi on this game, Big no way.

Me too! My paranoia increased recently when I got an email from Pagan Online, which has recently shutdown and become Pagan Offline. Just a reminder of how difficult a full multiplayer experience (with closed servers, trading, player economy, etc) is to deliver and maintain longterm in the ARPG space. In approximately 25 years, there have been only two franchises that have succeeded, Diablo and PoE.

I was reading over the original Kickstarter website from a couple years ago, and bumped into the PvP section. Does anyone know if PvP is still on the table for 1.0? Just curious.

PvP still is on the table afaik. It’s still on the website and also on the steam forecast in phase 4.

I asked a few questions about it on discord some time ago, but got no official answer. Just some annoying comments from people the don’t care about PvP and need to express this everytime the topic is raised.

When Last Epoch comes out it will have working multiplayer, too. Please don’t confuse Early Access with just having early access to a finished product. LE still is in beta so there’s missing content, balance/performance issues, bugs and crashes. All that is mentioned in the according section about Early Access BEFORE you get to the “buy” button.

Stay tuned and as soon as multiplayer is implemented you and your brother can coop the hell out of this game. I’d asume this will be long before D4 is any kind of near to release :wink:

1 Like

I would argue that multiplayer is the highest priority for the team.

You actually sold me Pagan “Online” right now. Not today but it’ve gone pretty high up in my Wishlist and will get it (besides Chronicon) in the upcoming Month’s.

TBH, i watched in the Forums and dig into the Reviews, and i really don’t get the Hate. I understand people are being frustratet over the fact online-multiplayer is scrapped, but it happens. If the Population isn’t high enough or they have no any way to finance their upkeep of the servers, obviously there will be a point where Servers will be shut down, and yeah sometimes it hits really early.

However for a Devs to keep / add an Offline-mode for a Game which have a “Online” in his Title, that’s pretty rare and that deserves (IMHO) respect. Do you know how many Hidden Favorites i’ve in the past, which were shutdown, and all the Money and Time i spent on it have gone to waste. And my urge from time to time to still wanting booting them up. That’s why IMHO almost every Game should have optionally an Offline Mode. Doesn’t matter if it’s World of Warcraft, or whatever, and especially Hack’n’Slay, they all should have an optional offline mode, and this “Aspect” alone is quite often a reason why i can’t get into games and fully enjoy them. And don’t get me wrong in this Regard, it’s not like i don’t enjoy Online&Multiplayer, infact it’s quite the opposite. If i think about Last Epoch and the stuff they announced (even the idea that they might add a feature where you could download [but obviously not upload for cheater-reason] your Online Character is freaking amazing) in terms of Online-Mode, i really want to engage in Online-Mode. Heck i’ve quite some Games like Monster Hunter and stuff, which i enjoy Online / MP, but for me Games should have a backup plan if something went downhill, some situations happen (server-maintaince or your own internet have a issue at the that time) and you want to play, or simply for Chill-Reason. (That’s why i’ve to add, if they scrap Offline-Mode then i’m out) Because i don’t wanna sit together with my Friends in 20 Years and talk about: “Remember that awesome ARPG back than, Last Epoch?” Friend: “Yeah, sad they shutted down and you can’t play it anymore…” ← That’s simply not a situation which i wanna have, and if i think about one of my most favorite Childhood Games like Diablo 1+2, this are Games which you still can play TODAY, OFFLINE. So even if Blizzard would ever shut down the Services, you can enjoy the Game, but if Diablo 3 shuts down, oh boy except you own it on console, you’re f****. I mean i recently wanted to boot Maple Story 2 again, y’know not the best game, but for me it’s a hidden small gem, and to my surprise: They shutted down their service. Yikes! Now i can’t never play MS2 again… amazing…
That’s why i’ll support the Pagan devs and get it at some point, due i find stuff like that should happen more often, sure it sucks when you can’t enjoy it in MP / Online anymore, but atleast you’re still able to play the Game. A lot of “Online” Games in the past can’t say that for themself. (i freaking miss my tabula rasa -.-)

And INB4 “But MMORPGs are meant to be played Online in Multiplayer, because it’s called “Massively Multiplayer Online” for a reason”. If we would argue about a few specific classic Games i’d most likely agree with you, but try being honest. Majority of the modern Online-Games are made that you can “also” enjoy the Game Solo. 90% of Modern MMO’S are build around being able to do it solo, because the bigger part of the market & target audience (nowdays), prefer it that way for the most of their time. Doesn’t meant most people won’t enjoy or play MP at all, but a huge portion if their playtime went also in playing it solo. So now give me a solid reason WHY it’s such a problem if they add OPTIONAL a Singleplayer option. Because from my viewpoint, there are none.

Crate actually pointed out at some point, because people kept nagging about their Multiplayer… they’ve statistics (and keep in mind there are veterans in dev team which worked on Diablo 2 and Titan Quest, so i’d argue they would know something like that) that most people play them Singleplayer. (there were also a Path of Exile co-op achievement which proved their point even further)

I’m not trying to start an Argument and saying MP is unimportant either, because i’d say thats wrong as well. I mean look at how Torchlight 2 performed compared to Torchlight 1, and it would be pretty naive to say that the Added Multiplayer hadn’t any kind of influence how much better it sold, but it’s also problematic to generalize and argue that Multiplayer is the most selling aspect about an ARPG, if it is in fact not. I mean Torchlight 1 without Multiplayer still sold 500k copies at minimum and that’s for a Indie-Game a pretty big number.

I’d rather like to argue that Singleplayer and MP is rather equally important, because it’s not like Singleplayer-Players won’t touch MP at all, in my experience quite the opposite, alot of them still enjoy the game by playing with friends in c-op.

1 Like

Hi there! Super excited to see the blog post. I think you should have dedicated PvP and PvE servers. There are gamers that do appreciate both elements of PvP and PvE… Thats honestly the best part of PvP, getting ganked, killing randos/faction, while also getting exp/gear…Sure, have the battleground-esque zones like the coliseum. Using already created maps for objective oriented PvP could also pose an interesting route as well. This game needs more player to player interaction. If you can accomplish that and really hone on that element, I think you guys will have ridiculous great game. Sure, group oriented dungeons sounds fucking great. Adding certain difficulty levels to them would even up the intensity/interest for players to improve and get better(imp. Rewards?)… I think you ought do this but with a PvP element. Players will be able to engage in a social element via PvE… but just adding a coliseum/duel to satisfy the element of PvP sounds kind of lame. You know what I mean? Like I if want to have a good time via social channels in the game, id be more likely to join a group for PvE, no? Sure joining the Colisseum will be fun… but is it content you will build upon? Is it content that satisfies the desire for PvP or just a part of it? For players like me, we want to see you do B O T H well, not just one. Give us story, give us quality, give us quests, give us PvP Ranks-- my point, make it interesting. Make us feel involved and you probably can add a monthly subscription to the game… like no questions asked

Multiplayer means co-op, not MMO where players run around randomly in the same area. Everything you are describing sounds like you want / expect this game to be like an MMO with a monthly subscription and all. None of that makes sense in an ARPG.

Finger crossed, I hope they will have Singapore server when MP launches.

Singapore server was indicated in Judd MP update post.

1 Like

Wow, that’s awesome. Thank you

@EHG_Mike Thank you for taking the time to update this thread periodically and for addressing all the random concerns!
Now that the appropriate amount of brown nosing has been done… Would you kindly provide any new updates, if any, there are regarding multiplayer progress? :slight_smile:
Thank you again good sir!

1 Like