Making Base Classes More Distinct

Everything seems great.
But i have doubts about class specific gear and smart loot.
I think it alters a lot the global value of a piece of gear since it suits only a specific class.

Maybe it’s okay if this is limited to a small number of pieces of gear, will see.

But really excited to try that.

2 Likes

Two really awesome design directions. Synced mastery progression is going to alleviate a lot of confusion! Great answer to a question we get a lot. Class-specific loot definitely feels like a good direction too! I hope it is kept open-minded enough for people that want to push odd builds, and we don’t get pushed into directions that the class-specific affixed tell us.

I too, am not a fan of a Smart Loot system. This action tends to leave build diversity in the dust and force a more META mindset for character creation.

On a different note, I am over the top with excitement!

This Team has kept true to their word, and has been listening to their community.
Thank you!!
Well Done !!

2 Likes

My post is just playful banter about the use of the words armour & armor on the same item while incorporating Mike (a Canadian), Sarno (a Brit), and the fact that the company is based in America. Words, always a challenge to convey subtle humour.

1 Like

will masteries will be reseted after new patch goes live?
Is the only actual change is that more points transferred to base tree?
So we still choose mastery at 20 points invested into base?

You will still need a minimum of 20 points in your base tree but the trees have better stuff and have some higher nodes now too.

2 Likes

@EHG_Mike will the UI display the actual amount of invested points in the base tree in patch 0.7.8? At the moment it displays 20 points no matter how many points you invest into it. I see your screenshot showing 25 points, so just want to double check.

I don’t understand the people complaining about smart loot. D3 does it and it is great. It is crap when you kill a boss and all the best loot doesn’t even go on your character.

The “meta build” argument doesn’t seem great either. The most powerful items being abused right now need a heavy nerf (I think poison as a whole does) and are uniques. The vast majority of my item farming is for affixes to shatter.

Because D3 is a good example of a game with good build diversity? Smart loot works there because D3 builds are centred around class-specific set items for the most part. Other games like PoE doesn’t have this system so you can really make creative builds, even if it’s not the strongest or the fastest. But at least you can do it.

LE introducing this system (class specific gear+the accompanying smart loot) made me nervous, but I’ll have to reserve judgement after the patch goes live. I still think it’s fair for people to voice their concerns about this.

4 Likes

Very good. Thanks a lot.

I really agree with the Smart Loot idea.

Trading items constantely is not that fun. I am a player, not a trader.

Playing with others players should be encouraged a lot with better loot, hard quest to do. But trading is not really playing with others players.

The armor changes are amazing…did i mention i love you guys. It will be much better for builds
With them being locked to the class. Great work as always guys!

1 Like

The armour outside of uniques dont make the builds in poe. The crafting,uniques , skill gems and skill t tree make the builds

The old max 20 refers that youve reached the 20 max lines not how many points are in the tab, thats why the other 2 non mastery tabs max at 25 cause thats the highest line to unlock. That being said the new base class will max at 30 bow instead of 20. They added 10 lines.

Maybe PoE has more theoretical build diversity, but that isn’t because of loot. It is because they have a massive skill and passive pool. If you want to play a build based around an item in PoE, you are forced to play trade league just to get the item. If you want to talk about meta builds, D3 does actually have more S Tier builds. PoE usually has 2 or 3 max each league.

1 Like

Hate the smart loot idea, D3 had this and was terrible.

1 Like

The skill specific affixes are cool. Class specific items and smart loot…not so much. I feel like these are really poor decisions for a game that intends to have trade. These things really incentivize playing the most popular meta class to make sure you’re getting drops with the most value, I’d argue the current looting system for idols is kind of the same issue. But once multiplayer and trade are live, if you’re not farming on the class with the most valuable drops then you’re just missing out on potential income that could fund your next big upgrade, a rare build-defining unique, a crafting project, or some such item for your next character.

These changes are great for a game that wants to be solo self-found centered, but when an economy is in play I think they’re really quite negative. I feel like the game is trying be both a multiplayer experience with an economy but also appeal to the SSF crowd and that ultimately compromises like this are bad for the game due to encouraging stuff like rolling the class with the most valuable drops.

5 Likes

That’s really amazing

You don’t know how supply and demand work do you? If everyone is farming the same stuff, the market will be flooded with the items and won’t be worth anything. Not to mention the people that would potentially be interested in buying the items are playing the class and finding the items themselves.

Smart loot systems are a good thing. It doesn’t stop you from being able to get drops for other classes, it just gives things you can actually use priority.

I could even go as far as to say if you are just playing the game to speed farm loot to sell on the market, what is the point in playing? What do you need the currency for? Presumably, the currency is only usable in creating your own build, so why not just play the build you want and find the items. It would take less time.

2 Likes

Wow wow wow! Awesome stuff, really looking forward to seeing what all is there. Only concern about more good stuff in the base passive trees is making it even harder to get all the good stuff I want from the mastery passive trees! Haha

Have you played PoE? The most popular classes always drive demand in a way that outstrips supply. If good items are sufficiently rare in LE, this will also be the case. The most popular build will want some item and there won’t be enough entering the market to meet that demand. A good example might be…Starforge in PoE. When half the endgame population is playing Cyclone it’s worth 10+ exalts, when no one was playing Cyclone it was often 1 exalt or less, despite the rarity and accessibility staying the same (prior to Conquerors of the Atlas, which lowered supply significantly).

Smart loot systems specifically make loot for other classes rarer. If a particular class-specific item is worth a lot in a specific meta then you’re lowering your chances to find it if you’re not playing that class, lowering your income by some percentage based on that item’s drop chance as well as any other items like it that are similarly made rarer by your class choice.

As I said, smart loot is great for games that lack trade. But if the rarer items that people want are buyable via trade, that’s very likely how people will obtain them- because they’re rare and it’s highly unlikely you’ll get one yourself. Therefore if you care about obtaining those rare items you must, in some aspect, care about the economy to solve how you get those items. If your time to play is also limited then you force an even bigger emphasis on time efficiency and income rate so that you “waste” the least time acquiring the things you want.

Some people enjoy playing the game to min/max. Some people want to see their currency grow and their goal for a league or season is to make a certain amount. It’s just another axis of gameplay. As far as “what do you need currency for?”…what don’t you need currency for? If trade exists then the items you want or need can be bought and making a transaction via trade is significantly faster than making or finding an item yourself. You say it would take less time, but that’s just not true unless items are exceptionally common or crafting is too easy. The best items will be rare and hard to come by as a single player. But given a large number of players someone is likely to find one or make one and put it up for sale, making what would normally be effectively inaccessible accessible via trade. If you want a good example that is currently in-game in Last Epoch, look the Fractured Crown. A solo player is very unlikely to get one and to even attempt so is a massive undertaking in terms of time and items required. It’s an item that is likely to be primarily obtained via trade from people who get lucky and acquire one unintentionally.