Global hedge against OP broken builds and Nerf Hammers?

OOoooor remove the dmg increase altogether and it falls in line with other DoTs, instead of doing ~500x more dmg (According to your graph) even with diminishing returns

Yeah, that would be absolutely possible, but it’d be the boring way to fix the problem.

1 Like

It’s only a problem if you make it one. Poison is much easier to apply/stack, so on it’s own, without dmg multiplier per stack, it will still out perform all other DoTs, but not in such an unreasonable way. This change also brings focus back to your own ACTUAL damage, not just “How many hits can I churn out per second to abuse poison scaling as much as possible” (I’ll reference the lag inducing poison primalist specs)

The “maximize hits per second” thing is the way you go with all ailments, not only poison. So if poison would be in line you would just do the same to stack as many stacks as possible. You do the same on an ignite or frostbite build. I don’t see why this would change with a poison nerf.

I can’t disprove your statement right away. But I am not sure if you are right.

Also this can be balanced by items and skillnodes that affect these ailments. It’s not a flaw of the ailment itself.

Well, I don’t think it necessarily is. True, the Plague Bearer’ Staff has quite a bit of poison chance (100%-250%), but if you go balls to the wall a Paladin can get ~1,100% chance to ignite.

It won’t, since it starts off with significantly lower damage and there are many passive nodes for many masteries that grant chance to ignite/bleed (though they’re often conditional, either spell or melee).

Let me rephrase, you can stack poisons easier/faster with specs that use/rely on poisons than you can with builds that stack/rely on bleeds/ignite/frostbite. No ignite/bleed/frostbite spec is stacking as much as fast as a lich or really any primalist. In theory sure you can stack ignite chance like crazy, but even a moderate amount of poison chance will net you exponentially more stacks if you’re playing a primalist wolf/totem poison spec.

Regardless, the damage increase should go.

And the staff isn’t that OP there are plenty of items with that much ailment chance. Eye of Reen, Torch of Pontifex, Draalsting, Morditas Reach (500% btw), Soulfire, Ignivar’s head, Calamity, Snowblind, Boulderfists (Stun but still), and Stormtide. Yes, affixes are significantly lower, but the staff itself isn’t exaclt OP, especially since there isn’t really any other uniques that buff up poison chance like this (Unlike Ignite chance for examplem, which you can almost have a full set of uniques to boost ignite chance).

TLDR Staff isn’t as OP as people make it out to be, Poison itself is OP but propping up an item is easier than admitting to abusing a broken mechanic that shouldn’t exist in the first place.

Yeah, pet builds are best at stacking poison due to the large number of hits a target can get. But if you ignore pets, ignites are probably the easiest to stack (as I mentioned here).

My only concern about that is that removing the per stack damage increase strips poison of it’s unique effect, then the DoTs (well, bleed, poison & ignite) all become a boring beige with nothing to differentiate them. Which DoT would you like to apply today? Beige, off-white or oatmeal?

If you give the other DoTs a unique and useful mechanical effect then people will use them & find them more interesting, to an extent frostbite already does this as it applies protection reduction per stack. I also think that the other DoTs need more support from uniques in a range of slots.

DoT should be just that, damage over time. You’re trading up front damage for a DoT. Having one DoT scale exponentially while the others tickle is poor design. Bring up baseline DoT dmg, remove 8% scaling. As for the beige-ness of it, tough? It’s a DoT… I mean you could have spec improvements (At X stacks, target releases AoE poison DMG) but they should be tied to the build, not built in. I mean, if you’re runnign a poison build, you’re not going to choose bleed effects. If you’re running ignite, you’re not going to choose poison nodes. They have their place and they’re not just interchangable. If you have DoT, there will always be people that prefer to run DoT.

I feel like your only argument is “I don’t want to give up the damage of poison” and everything else is just misdirection. Poison stacks easier/faster with POISON builds than ignite does with ignite builds. It will innately do more damage because of the sheer volume of stacks. Granted it’s almost impossible to prove because we have no debuff counters, so maybe I’m completely wrong (But I really don’t think I am).

The fact remains, an exponential increasing dmg buff to a stacking DoT is poor design and shouldn’t exist. Even with diminishing returns it’s still poor design. You want flavor? Come up with flavor. Scaling dmg to ridiculous amounts is not “Flavor” its literally the definition of OP. Nothing, I repeat, nothing else in the game can compete with poison dmg scaling, now or with your diminishing returns. That is why your idea and defense is flawed.

Here’s an example of flavor:
Ignite: Has a chance to proc Spreading Flames, dealing x dmg to enemies in an area over 4 seconds doesn’t stack
Bleed: Has a chance to inflict Infected Blood, slowing health regen by x% and dealing y dmg Doesn’t stack
Poison: Has a chance to proc Noxious Cloud, dealing x dmg to enemies in an area and slowing movement

Flavor.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.