Frustration regarding the new Woven Flesh unique and how it trivializes midgame GB

I believe forced defensive affixes limits experimentation. It feels like we can only put offense on our weapon and everything else has to be defense.

There’s so many affixes that don’t get used because you have to stack so much defense (and some affixes just don’t matter much.)

Maybe one day we’ll be able to combine certain affixes together so that some of them actually see the light of day.

2 Likes

I’m not sure which patch it was added but it is actually called Critical Strike Avoidance. Its an affix, found on gear or shards.

It turns a crit into a “normal hit”. If you have it at 100% you can’t be crit (unless perhaps if the mod or boss you are fighting has over 100% chance).

So we have “glancing blow” that reduces a normal hit by 50%
we have “Critical strike avoidance” that reduces a crit to a normal hit.

Question: Once Critical strike avoidance reduces a crit to a normal it, is it then reduced again by half by glancing blow?

guys these items are cool , i’m happy to see some useful one finally

Oh, Critical Strike Avoidance. Yeah, I know about that one, thought this was maybe something new.

I cannot remember where it is but somewhere on the forum someone did a break down of how this works.

Crits would already be reduced by half due to glancing blow.

In general I can agree with the people posting that it feels almost mandatory to put all defenses on gear, but I’m hopeful that the set level content (monolith) rather than infinite scaling content (arena) will help address this. Since the monolith can only scale so far there will be a point that your defenses are sufficient and you can further increase your damage through gearing. The jury is still out since the patch is new, but even in previous patches the monolith was a pushover compared to wave 150+ arena.

1 Like

By removing the 4 chest affix slots, which is about how many you need for 100% glancing blow. Though you’ll still need 1-2 glancing blow affixes to hit 100%, but you do get a few other affixes on the chest.

If a crit does 200% damage, glancing blow would reduce that to 100%. If you had capped crit avoidance, that 200% would be reduced to 100% (a normal hit), then glancing blow would reduce that to 50% from 200%).

I believe crit avoidance would be a multiplier to crit chance (so max crit avoidance multiplies the mob’s crit chance by 0 so it would be impossible to crit) rather than additive.

Yes, but it is the specific affixes it frees up. ‘set glancing blow’ takes up a prefix slot on important gear. Set dodge, set health, and stats are all prefix’s that can be used instead of set glancing blow now.

2 Likes

Whatever I read might’ve been based on this or this.

I would like to see more defensive options and thought it might be cool to rely on leech as long as everything is balanced. I thought this chest was interesting for that reason. You get the glancing blow and you can use other equipment to help make up for having lower armor.

1 Like

So Crit Avoidance affects the DAMAGE of the Crit, not the actual chance to Crit? If that is the case I’m not sure Avoidance is the best term because it makes it sound like you’re avoiding getting Crit as to just reducing the damage of the Crit. Ultra calling it Crit Reduction actually sounds more appropriate to what it does.

This is a small quibble on my part but not even remotely that important. I’m not really invested in it one way or another so take this all with a grain of salt.

With set armor/void and set necro/poison being prefixes that can both be rolled on gloves/boots (and with leviathan getting moved from rings to gloves/boots) this becomes a really good point. I’m appreciating all the discussion because it’s helping me lean away from the item only being an unfortunate trivialization of a mechanic and more toward it being a way to have more freedom on other gear.

That being said I’d still like it to have a range on the GB value.

I don’t know. I can’t think of any in-game mechanics based on the player taking crits, so I don’t know if there is a real difference between the player not taking a crit or just taking a crit for 0 extra damage. Maybe it’s semantics, maybe it isn’t.

Crit Avoidance is the chance of a crit being reverted to normal damage.

1 Like

Ah, now that makes sense. So 100% avoidance means you always eliminate an enemies % Critical Damage IF they score a critical on you (and barring any avoidance reduction they may have.)

Two I can think of are Fiery Dragon Shoes procing fire trail when critical and the bigger one being Spellblade passive giving a nice offense/defense buff when crit.

Good things to test with capped crit avoidance then, to see if it just sets the crit multi to zero (you still take the crit but with zero extra damage) or means you can’t be crit.

I’m relative sure that it affects the chance to get a crit and has nothing to do with the multiplier.

I like this item# because it offers build diversity.

Regarding mandatory stats: If you remove GB in result another stat would take its place. Theres always something mandatory.

If you wanna build properly, everything is mandatory in LE anyway.
There will always be mandatory stats to get, or a “best” way to gear a build.
I am with you on this one sir.

I get the idea behind the armor, maybe reducing the 85% to 60% or 50% would make the gearing easy, without making it free.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.