Character Wipe on Release?

I see it 100% like you @vargath, everypoint that you made. Also when the devs released the last patch i immediatly made a new primalist to test out the totems again :smiley: I also share the thoughts of @XLVI_carpo to keep the beta characters for nostalgia, maybe like a d3 killed char in hc, or you make the char OF COURSE only playable in offline mode. But i will never play offline when i can play online mode with friends or use the bazaar as tradeā€¦i usually donā€™t like modding, thatā€™s why offline is not interesting for me since you canā€™t convert chars. Offline is an important feature, but i think like 5% of the playerbase was playing offline in wolcen. Probably due to the servers haha

1 Like

This is a problem regarding the term ā€œearly accessā€. It sounds like you get full access to the finished product earlier than the usual release. But this is not meant. Early Access is a term for getting access to the unfinished product to beta test before release.

By reading this I have to admit that this site does not tell the complete truth about EA and the downside (e.g. character wipes).

This may also be the reason I see so many complaints on steam regarding bugs in an EA game. Maybe many people are not aware they are indeed paying to test a game.

As already mention by others this is for supporting a game of an indie studio and often is the "2nd stageā€™ after a crowdfunding campaign.

What also come to my mind is the situation of the preorders that got access to LE last week. Are they aware that they are in a beta for now? Because they paid for a (bugfree) released game and now got access to a test version.

I guess they got informed along with their access key. But would be possible some arenā€™t aware.

I think that some understanding of the term & the context that itā€™s being used in is necessary (otherwise you get to a scenario where McDonalds has to put ā€œthis coffee may be hotā€ on their coffee). If a game is clearly many months to a year or so out from being released then itā€™s clearly not a ā€œget-access-to-the-game-for-a-few-days-before-release-&-be-able-to-keep-your-characters/etc-on-releaseā€ type of early access. Itā€™s also quite frustraiting when a company co-opts a term (early access) and applies it to anything thatā€™s not been released yet, from a-few-days-from-release to a-year-or-more-from-release.

I totally agree with you. But there will always be people that are new to a mechanism like this, donā€™t read the terms carefully or misunderstand things. You can say it is their fault for not understanding what terms they agreed with when they clicked the purchase button (and you are still right on this). But the damage is done as soon as someone that feels deceived is spreading his point of view on steam, reddit, twitter or elsewhere. While there are maybe 80-90% people that say ā€œDude, youā€™re wrong. Chill and read the terms!ā€ there are always others that take this opinion for truth and will spread it further. Thatā€™s sad, but this is how it is today.

Yes & I have sympathy for them & they are one of the reasons I get annoyed that ā€œearly accessā€ can cover such a multitude of sins. If it meant just one thing, it would be easier for the new/less experienced people to understand what it means.

yeah thatā€™s why ive barely played LE overall.

I put in tonnes of time during Grim Dawn development prior to release because they didnā€™t wipe anything

Although I only play PoE leagues and not standard, I just donā€™t want all my shit to be wiped

This game is in early beta development, not early access. You may not totally understand what you purchased. But what they have defined is perfectly clear to most people. You can view the forums and see at what point this game is in. And clearly itā€™s not early access, which is usually something offered to titles closer to release. This game most likely wonā€™t see a release until early next year because of the social issues going on at this moment.

Here again seems to be a misunderstanding of the term ā€œearly accessā€.

LE is part of the Steam Early Access program. This is the reason I can play the game since april 2019. I am no kickstarter backer.

I think you refer to Early Access as a package to start some days/weeks earlier than the masses. This is often is some kind of preorder bonus with online games.

This is not the case, you are right. But Steam Early Access is something different. It means beta access to unfinished games. It offers devs the opportunity to continue the development.

Look on the steam page for further information about Last Epoch Early Access.

Sorry for being a ā€œknow-it-allā€ :nerd_face::woozy_face:

1 Like

It needs wipe on release 100% I donā€™t get what are you crying aboutā€¦ Will be fresh and interesting start again for everyone, especially if they make trade available and stuffā€¦ When is release date anyways? Far away?

1 Like

Hereā€™s a link to the a statement from Mike Weicker on discord:

Mike Weicker 04.04.2020

To be clear the ā€œwipeā€ we have said weā€™ll do is actually just that offline characters will never be transferred to the online environment. This can feel like a wipe because when online starts, everyone will be playing from scratch. We are also planning a league style system that will see a new cycle start at launch. We havenā€™t commented on if we will delete characters in the beta cycle or not.

1 Like

I believe thatā€™s pretty much what I said up aboveā€¦

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.