0.7.9b Boss/Rare Temporary Resistances/Protections Feedback

Very well put.

This, and this and this. It feels awesome when I spend effort crafting a highly fine-tuned build, spend the time to get the gear to make the build work, and then totally dumpster content that was giving me trouble before. That’s the best feeling in the game.

It isn’t just IARPGs, either. I’m a 2k hour Dark Souls franchise veteran, and it feels amazing to totally wreck a boss’s face into the ground because I’m so good at the game. That sense of progress comes not just from the character’s build, but from the experience and knowledge gained by extensive playtime that can be leveraged to become a total badass and steamroll content that used to give trouble.

Their goal is to make content that challenges you.

Yes, that’s true, but there’s ways to do that without doing what feels like cheating. This mechanic creates the illusion of difficulty by using a deus ex machina to make the fight take longer. Besides that, I would argue they’ve missed the mark on creating a challenge if the boss is just as easy to kill with a meme build as with a top tier build. The idea of equalizing difficulty across all builds is not a challenge, it’s the opposite - reward players for being under-skilled and punish players for being over-skilled.

Good challenges prompt us to become better than them. Bad challenges cheat so that we cannot become better than them.

Really happy by the changes made to this feature in 0.7.9c. Since this hotfix bosses have felt much smoother and I don’t feel punished for continuing to attack instead of waiting for the resistances to fall off.

image trying to play the game with erasing strike. this mechanic literally ruins all of your mana and burst doing zero dmg half the time. its a bad mechanic. If they want players to have to deal with boss mechanics then just increase the rate the game scales HP in the MOF. Make MOF HP increases more common, massive, and last more rounds of the MOF so they compound. Problem solved. this current mechanic is too clunky and is game ruining for certain builds like builds that rely on dumping all their mana for a big hit or two.

My goal is to build a character that trivializes the content, and if you punish me for accomplishing that then you don’t at all understand what makes people play these games.

This is not something that is entirely true. There should be IMO builds targeted at different aspects of the game - boss killer (obviously, high single target dmg and sustain, but at the cost of speed during farming), all-around (does not excel at anything particularly, but can do the job decently - summoners for example) and pack clearers (huge aoe with a lot of speed, but single target is kinda eh).

For the difficulty scaling part - I would say that some mechanics are good making the bosses tankier. The approach they have chosen though is bad (there we agree more or less). IMO- boss should be “phased” - not like POE phased, but Grim Dawn phased, which means that after certain HP threshold he should gain some buffs (like, resistances , MINOR CONSISTENT damage reduction OR speed + damage buff to make that boss harder + some new skills he can use). This concept is apparent in the GD mod called Reign of Terror, where during certain bossfights (there are Ubers, Hidden Ubers and Uber Tristram - yes , its that mod that redone D2:LOD into the GD engine) - hidden uber called Baba Yaga has a summoning skill that can be used only after going below 50% HP. Also, when she (and all the other ubers and hidden ubers) reach that threshold, they gain resistance to crushing blow (%max life damage on hit), they cant be frozen and stunned anymore, and gain 10% total speed and 10% damage reduction. When they go below 20% HP, they gain another 10% total speed and 10% damage reduction while becoming immune to crowd control and crushing blow (cannot be slowed, blinded, fumbled, frozen, petrified, rooted, stunned, fall asleep,etc. ). I can personally imagine this being the best way for this game, but Who knows what devs will decide to go with…

1 Like

Is that before or after the patch that reduced it?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.