Why is all the end game content roguelike now?

If I wanted to lose all my progress on death then I would play hardcore. I play these games to relax but I find this style of gameplay to be really stressful. It’s not fun if I’m constantly worrying about having to start over again.

Could we have a simple mapping system for farming like in other ARPGs?

12 Likes

I feel the same way. I just want an endgame place to go farm gear, where I don’t have to restart every time I die.

3 Likes

Completely agree. What a bad decision by devs.

4 Likes

reading all the comments after the patch have me worried… especially since still dont have multiplayer or a whiff of the final class… how you gonna do endgame now mess balance up then later add a class then more balancing… add multiplayer more balancing lol and this is was already pushed back a year and all this suppose to come by end of year with polish … yep im worried and i like the game lol all i ask is dont be a wolcen in the end anything but that .

1 Like

Wait, Rougelike now? Maybe I misunderstand but its always been quite Rougelike, with losing progress on death.

In fact, one could argue its now less Rougelike, since Mono blessings were introduced. They stay intact, as a reflection of your previous run’s completion. Further, there are multiple Monoliths that are permanently unlocked sequentially, right? This is another permanent form of progression, one we previously didn’t have.

4 Likes

I think the main point for most people here seems to be, that they have no progress at all, because alot of people play with characters way above lvl 55, which leads to not getting any noteworthy exp gain.
Getting to the next timeline above lvl 55 takes a decent amount of time, depending on how often you die i nthe proccess of unlocking it.
Then when you finally unlocked on of the follow up time lines they are still pretty low and often times so low again that you don’t get any noteworthy exp.
On top of that even in that low level timelines, which are even for mediocre builds easy to do if you are overleveld, you sometimes seem to get one-shotted or dy due to very spikey damage.

All of this combined leads to a very frustrating experience in this game mode, which i can understand.

So the exp thing will be fixed, that’s already confirmed by devs.
Lenght of the first time lines will be also shortend.

But generally i agree with you, with the new blessings you really have some nice permanent rewards. And for me personally going into the new MoF from a character that freshly finished the campaign, it feels very good.

3 Likes

Died 3 times on Abomination boss today (level 81)… I might not be the best player, but this really is absurd. It takes me 1-2 hours to get to the boss just to die in matter of seconds.

3 Likes

This is a problem for established characters stepping into the end-game process at high level rather than progressing with it, agreed. But this isn’t an issue of the endgame being rougelike, this is an issue of players having to slog through low lvl content(and I do agree it takes a while). So I was replying specifically on the roguelike nature, not so much the issue of being overleveled and awkwardly pushing through stages of a system not meant for you. Also I’d like to comment that if you’re 84 or something you shouldn’t be dying to the 55 or 68 stages, that shouldn’t be part of any argument.

I don’t disagree, though, that stepping in as high level and having to slog through this hasn’t been an amazing experience(god bless the items still drop in relation to my level and not area level, its really just the exp we’re lacking). But really, should we be complaining about this? We’re walking in backwards; they know. It’s not designed to play like that. Lets give feedback on how it feels as a fresh lvl 55 starting mono, yea?

Also, we’ve already seen them, with this b-patch, shorten the time needed to get the 3rd echo quest(awesome!). So that’s a great step in the right direction.

1 Like

That’s the problem, LE is a very defense focused game, because enemies doing absrud amount of damage sometimes, especially in the endgame.

I did try some overleveld more squishy builds on purpose for that current MoF content and it just feels boring all the time and then all of the sudden i die in mere fractions of a second. Which is ok for a glasscannon type of build. But even on some of the more tankier builds i sometimes died because of very spikey and inconsitent damage between mob types.

Absolutley, that is a good point. 100% agree.

Hm, not sure i did this boss fight with 2 characters now and i just died the very first time i encountered it, because i din’t get the mechanic instantly.
As soon as i understood the base mechanic and saw all of the bosses abilities at least once it become a fight with a nice combat flow.

Short dps phases with some occasional running/repostion

For me personally, the problem is with targeting as a melee character, whenever I target bigger targets that are placed on the edge of the map character gets stuck, so for example I am using warpath and holding the right click to move, as soon as I “overreach” the target, the character is stuck, now if I was too close to the four thingies on four edges, I need to spam left click to get unstucked, which is more than enough time to get killed by the laser

On last try I tried to Lunge away from boss as soon as he got near, managed to down 2/4, but afterwards, got stuck and died, so it’s 2 more hours of mindless rushing through portals until I can fight it again and hopefully not get stuck

1 Like

I think most of us that have played for a little while recognize this, right? And we’re used to it now, right? The game’s meta is 1000% completely defensive. This is reinforced further with the new boss-reactionary-resistances(w/e you wanna call it lol). Perhaps I haven’t played the new mono enough yet(ive only been through 55 and 68 monos) but havent come anywhere close to dying in low lvl stuff; but rightfully so, my build is focused on defense(… and I’m lvl 84… ). /shrug

Regarding my last post, I should also say, my(our) feedback on how being 84 in a 68 zone shouldn’t really be the point. Perhaps the 3 echo-quest function, as it is now, is too punishing at level appropriate content. I wouldn’t know because I haven’t done it yet, I will admit that.

But if the goal is to do complete 11-13straight monolith runs in level appropriate content, to receive a blessing, that doesn’t sound too terribly unreasonable given that in 7.8f good builds built defensively were easily able to do 20+ in mono, with content scaled to their level. I guess what I’m saying is, all things being equal(mono base mechanics from 7.8f to 7.9), I don’t foresee myself having issue with 85~ monos now. Am I missing something with this train of thought?

I’d like to put my 2c in and say I appreciate the change and think it’s a good death penalty as opposed to losing exp. I think building a balaced offensive and defensive character is important and having tough content to progress through is appreciated.

A compromise might be to have a death knock your timeline back to the last completed quest echo of a timeline instead of all the way to 0. Multiple deaths could still take you down to 0, but not on the first death.

4 Likes

Very interesting thought, nice one!

I was excited for the new Mono but now after 100+ echo runs I am completely stuck on the 2nd island… I’m level 76 and can run through all of the areas no problem but I just cannot kill the boss and it takes so long to get the quests again. I think I was at about 24-25 echoes before I finally got to the boss for my third time and died again wasting even more time. To top it all off I get practically no xp, I feel like I’m just running in circles. I don’t want to just sit here and complain cause I know my character is far from perfect but idk what to do right now.

2 Likes

I agree with the new monolith being a bit to difficult and there should be checkpoints you could start from.

Because of giving this feedback from different point if views we are here.

I just don’t think its necessary to doom the game. This is the first time we get originally planned endgame content. Was the old monolith really that much fun for you? Not for me. I appreciate all these changes. Monolith is meant to be the highest endgame content. Did you guys really expect you could login after patch and go straight for the rewards?

• There will be several more endgame systems you can choose to play.
  • There will be tweaks to the current monolith because of our feedback
4 Likes

I’m Level 74 beastmaster and could progress to Monolith lvl 68 after 17 Monolith runs in lvl 55.

I chose lvl 62 though because I thought it would be harder and I didn’t want skip content / noteworthy boss fights :stuck_out_tongue: so I only understand a little of the rent here…

My alts are lvl 46-55, so I’m eager to give feedback on the appropriate usage of the new system - which is, not starting with high lvl.

Yea, this is the biggest issue here. My first mono runs(on patch day) it took only 13 runs to get my 3quests done, and I felt that was a great place. After spending 5 more hours with it tonight, jesus. It’s taking 25-30 runs to get the quests done.

Even being over leveled for the first two zones, its not enjoyable. Not because I’m dying, just because it’s a slog. The pacing is terrible, too many runs. Imagine wanting to re-do 25-30 low level runs just to have a chance at a better blessing…

3 Likes

Previously mono scaled to your level so the only thing you would lose by dying is an arena key, and I never played arena anyway. With the new mono you can play for an hour and then die on the boss and you go right back to square one. It no longer scales so you get almost no XP while doing it either.

2 Likes

In some regard, levels are arbitrary. You could farm 5 MOFs, go to Arena and rinse/repeat this process infinitely to level your character. The strength of a character in this game is more about gear (and the affixes rolled on them), though levels unlock the ability to wear higher tiers of gear. One problem is that players assume once they level up, they will be more powerful, but that’s not entirely true after you have your skills maxed since 1 passive point doesn’t make a night and day difference.

Also, Abomination only has one attack of real consequence to characters with decent resists and that’s when his souls shoot out and then loop back to a singular spot. There’s no ground animation showing the ‘crash’ point, but its pretty easy to predict once you’ve fought the boss. I’m fine with them tuning down the lower level MOFs, but I don’t want to see them completely remove these challenging mechanics from the game.

2 Likes