The Importance of Mana in Last Epoch

Lots of good suggestions.

I think most of them should become either affixes, uniques or passives.

But i really don’t think we need more baseline mana regen.
I really want all additional mana regen to come from character investment.

2 Likes

I think the one single improvement they could do that would help with a lot of it is to get rid of the base 10/sec mana regen and replace it with a % of max mana base regen. Make it equivalent with no investment.

1 Like

That could work of course to support high max mana builds. But needs to be balanced carefully.

Maybe a combination? Flat 5 Mana/sec + X% Max Mana/sec?

2 Likes

I don’t see why. The balance should be the same mostly. Just make the % so that, at base, it is the same as 10/sec. It just helps flat mana increases. Maybe makes % based increases as an affix worse. Would make flat mana regen increase much better.

Not sure if you’re confusing his statements with my statement about the clunkiness. If you are, just wanted to point out that’s not why I believe the current system to be clunky.

Might be not sure, maybe he can elaborate.

I thought he think it’s “clunky” because you can’t do your favorite skill 24/7

I’ve been having a bit of a play with the Acolyte, making a Sacrifice Necro & made the mistake of unspeccing Rip Blood (which was just about ready to start taking the mana nodes). Sacrifice & Summon Wraith are both quite expensive skills, so I was wondering, what about if the Acolyte got mana back based on the amount of life she spends on skills?

You could have a node that adds a life cost to some of the skills that don’t have it already & when you spend X life on a skill you get Y mana back. It could be either % or flat and IMO, would lean into her unique mechanic of spending life to cast (some) skills.

1 Like

Some classes or specific builds struggle with mana currently. Or in other words, there are some mandatory mechanics or skill combinations that are needed to get along with mana.

I personally like the Sentinel mechanuc where you get mana back with some filler skills. When the filler skills do more DPS than your high cost attacks# there needs to be tweaking. But many of the filler skills get additional mana costs when skilled for more damage. That’s a good balancing method.

In the other side I also like the suggestion of @Stormquake in his thread about mana here:

This would give mana based classes like mage give an increased incentive to build high mana pools.

Somebody here said that hes fune with mana reg being an issue early/mid game, but with endgame the character should be able to get that mighty si mana gets trivial.

I can’t agree with this. Yes, this works this way in other games. And I couldn’t say I dislike it. It doesn’t feel bad in any kind that I can spam all my high damage skills forever like in PoE. But combat wise LE feels very different than PoE. Much slower pace. And imho the current “importance” of mana or in other words the lack of mana trivialisation in endgame fits very well into this.

1 Like

As a concept I like what D3 did with resource management. It can be debated if they did it right, but I like that each class has a different way of managing resources. It can be a way of creating distinct class identity depending on how you design the resource bar. I can imagine the rogue class wanting a bursty playstyle, which would need the resource bar to be full and emptied out. Sentinel can be the opposite, where you can build up from zero and spend the resource. Acolyte could be more slotted towards using HP as a resource. Just throwing out examples but it would be great to see more than just a mana bar on all classes.

1 Like

While i generally like very unique ressources for different classes/playstyles, this is a horror to balance.

I would like to stick with a baseline ressource (inthis case mana) but i still like giveing different classes sligthly different appraoches to ressource management.

Maybe give some classes optional secondary ressources.

Example for Acolyte would be more support to spend health on skills. Maybe give acolyte some passives/affixes that gives almsot all skills health costs, but boosting other attributes of that skills, like damage or less mana costs.

Rogue could go with a secondary ressource system similar to a combo system, where some skills give you stacks(combo points9 and some skills consume a certain number or all stacks for additional effects. Just make this a optinal system and no baseline system.

1 Like

I’m fine with anything as long as it feels right and actually works like a resource you have to manage. I disagree it’s a horror to balance. It’s just like anything else that sets each class apart. Skills, passives, and items would have to work with the resource. Although I do think it’ll be a nightmare in the beginning if this ever comes to fruition (highly unlikely).

I like the idea of a secondary resource although I think that’d be even harder because you have to balance two different resources and their interaction. For now the low hanging fruits are 1) mana regen affixes, 2) base mana regen scaling, 3) damage balance for mana generators, and 4) clunky mana generating skills (tempest strike, focus).

Hi, I think that another kind of resource is overkill.
We aready have health for acolyte and sentinel also use it to boost damage on some skill.

I really think that regen on mana pool is too OP and hard t o balance.
I agree that some skill/class are hard to manage actually.
The best we can do is point them, and so devs will be able to add or modify node to allow others options for these skills.

Skill node and affix is the way to go.
Mana efficiency work really fine, as affix and as node. It’s easy to balance in node as you can add trade off (forge strike reduce aoe)

I also reconize that a big mana pool seems useless. Some mana affix are usefull, to get a decent mana pool, but affix and passives for big mana pool are not strong enought for the investissment. Just make them stronger. Node are welcome too, so we can really build around that. Big mana pool build are useless without big filler (like focus).

A good exmple of node is in mana strike, where base damage and crit depend on your mana pool. It’s really a good mecanism. I love this kind of node.
Actually big mana pool is only interesting for mage (perhaps only sorcerer). That’s ok for me.

For other classes/skill that have some issue, node and affix is the way to go. Efficiency is a good solution, filler too, but I don’t want that all build need one.

I have mixed feelings about this.
Yes it is a chore to have to cast another spell to return your mana again.
At the same time there are actually good ways to get mana regen with gear.
I think that mage is in a scary place if you give to many options of even more mana regen and added mana.

What is the downside of mage then in LE? I think nothing.

• Damage of mages are great. AOE and Single target options are good aswell.
  • You can blink away at a chosen spot without downsides.
  • Mages are mostly range so you can hit enemys from a safe spot which melee cant.
  • Mage has the exact same defence possibillities in defences as the tankier classes + scaling ward is easier with mage. Yes the same goes for Armor with Paladin but at the same time… mage is able to get armor aswell.
  • Mage doesnt wear cloth as some games have or other downsides.

Am i missing something about the downside of mage in LE beside mana?
I like mage to be fun for everyone but boosting it from (in my opinion) a S tier class damage defence and mobility wise into an S+ tier class doesnt sound like a good idea to me unless you nerf mage in a different area. You could lower some caps at phys resist or armor for example.

There are many ways to do it but it requires a lot of math and thinking since you need to change a lot if you lower the base foundation.
I think they should experiment with this non-theless.

It would also give mage a more classic mage identity. The downside however is that if you want to be a more tankier mage you couldnt. So a better thing would be to let the player choose. You want more mana regen? Ok you can but then we lower X or Y defensive cap or your skill X is nerfed. Another option would be to receive More damage from monsters but you get a lot more mana regen. By doing this you give the player the option to be glass canon or to be a more balanced overall mage who’s not glass canon but survives certain fights easier.

So I want to share my oppinion on the matter as well even if most people won’t like it…

Mana and Mana reg is fine.

1 Like

i agree haha

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.