The absolute insanity of losing all levels when I spec out of a skill

And here we go again, another respec thread.

While this is a very controversial topic and is definitly something that needs to be discussed, i don’t get why people create such topics before even browsing the forum (as it seems).

Anyway while i do disagree that the current system is bad here are some things i want to point out:

The whole leveling curve and process is equally important as the pure “finished build”

I do like that even early on you have to make choices that actually matter. I really enjoy the leveling experience, since you get 3 spec slots very very fast and the last 2 you have to wait a bit for.

That is simply not true, doesn’t matter how slow or bad your build is.

They just recently in 0.7.8 changed the exp curve, so that the early levels take quite a bit longer for skill spec exp, but for the early endgame onwards the proccess is alot faster.
As soon as you reach like 60+(first few hours when you finished the story) skills level really really fast.

That is simply no constructive feedback.

I will say it again, i do think this topic needs to be discussed and it’s important to alot of people.

There were already some suggesstions for like a 6th skill spec slot, which you could possible use as a swappable backup skill. That wouldn’t punish experimenation so hard.
That was the only solution that i kinda would agree with in this whole regard.

OK it beggars the question, why is passive respeccing so cheap and easy then? It sits at odds with slow and painful and costly (in time) skill respeccing when you are levelling. One has a negligible cost, the other is a serious time sink. One encourages experimentation and creativity, the other stifles them.

You’ll probably need 100k if you want to reset your whole tree at level 100, while you can relevel skills in 5 minutes. Farming 100k takes more than 5 minutes.

Passives are not that impactful early on, so it makes sense early passives are cheap to respec.

My argument is that it isn’t fun, and thus should not be included in full release either. I regret implying that only an EA release should make respeccing easier. Forget I said that. The full release should too, as the current system stifles creativity during levelling (where it should be encouraged). The fact I can respec skills cheaply at level 100 is rather irrelevant; the damage has already been done…

2 Likes

I don’t think the system needs changing. On a side note, a respec all points for passive tree would be nice…

The paradox here for me is this:
When you leveling new character and actually don’t know yet how skills and interactions work, you can make choices by mistake. And you will be stucked with it for a long time because respecing at low level is pain.
When you already high level and can make meaningful decisions as someone wrote, you can respec easy.
I myself leveled necro and made some wrong decisions at start, and decided to finish campaign without respecing because of it (and it wasn’t fun)

3 Likes

I agree that early game respec should be made easier. Probably refund the first 3-5 points would be good?

2 Likes

But that’s only early on, once you’ve got through most of hte campaign your skills will level up a lot faster.

I get that now, but early on is when it matters.

2 Likes

On one side it can be quite punishing to respec early on and it might reduce the will to experiment with stuff early on, on the other side the game is fairly easy until chapter 7.
You don’t need any fleshed out build to beat the majrotiy of the campaign and until you reach that point you probably already figured stuff out that you like/enjoy.

And as i said earlier, you can alot of skill spec slots very early and fast, which also can be used to experiment with stuff, since you don’t need ot have 4 or 5 skills that synergize with each other.

if people were able to get skills points easily early on in the game, combined with a loot filter being added in a sooner patch, rather then later, it would affect the game a lot by being too speedy. we dont want more speed, we want controllable grind.

1 Like

Totally agree 100% what a tedious and unneeded mechanic… Just wow at anyone who finds this mechanic “fun”

1 Like

I “wow” back to you. :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

@Sarno Not entirely sure how much benefit there is in this thread given the behemoth exists. Especially since the conversation has moved over there.

1 Like

Its ok i have stopped playing as the game is not fun trying to level skills over and over and reading they are adding death penalties basically killed my drive to play anymore, shame i cannot get a refund.

I try to keep up with this forum and add my feedback where I can, but the amount of threads about this same subject make that impossible :frowning:

1 Like

Don’t worry, there’s basically 2 camps, one thinks that the respec cost is too much (like the OP) & the other disagrees. The devs are willing to look at it & try something different… There’s not been any change.

1 Like

Thanks for the mental support :smile:

NP, I’m mental & I (sometimes) support. Other times I mock.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.