Stash Bug

Epoch_Local_Global_Data_Beta.txt (10.4 KB)

Here’s mine, awesome that you might have been able to figure it out, do you still need these files to fix it?

Great that you probably have figured it out.

It is not completely solved though. I had 4 categories in there of which 2 (called “category 4” and “General”) were simply not clickable. They still show up visually AND I can assign tabslots to them (at which point I lose them because those two categories are not clickable).

The other two categories got solved and those seem to work fine at first glance. But, see above, I am not out of the woods yet. Could you take a look at it again? Here is the newest file where I tested some additional created tabs.

Epoch_Local_Global_Data_Beta.txt (1.7 KB)

(Also, as I renamed some files because I was making backups from them in the save folder I deleted them all when you send me the semi-fixed file… they simply re-appear after I log in. Though this is not really important thought I should still mention it)

Epoch_Local_Global_Data_Beta.txt (10.4 KB)

Same instructions as above.

Epoch_Local_Global_Data_Beta.txt (1.7 KB)

Sorry, didn’t see the category error. Give that a go.

That worked, thanks a lot.

1 Like

For all the DIY gurus out there, open the file with a JSON editor like https://jsoneditoronline.org/ and just fix the category and tab trees, there should be no 2 categories or tabs with the same ID. Just changing the ID’s should fix it.

Any text editor also works. I like SublimeText but notepad will get the job done.

1 Like

I think we are go, thank you

1 Like

I just suggested an online JSON viewer/editor since the file is minified and will be more accessible to the less tech savvy kind, but yeah.

1 Like

I have played some more, found some uniques (yes! ;)) as well and created some more tabs. Everything was working fine, but now I have created a 5th category, and in that category it seems like it doesn’t “exist separately”. What I mean by that is that it always shows the stash from the last selected other category. But it doesn’t exist on it’s own.

All other seems to work fine.

I’m sorry I don’t have better news, but maybe it’s good to keep assessing this. Let me know what you think:

Epoch_Local_Global_Data_Beta.txt (3.3 KB)

Your data looks fine, but if you have no tabs in a category, selecting it will just show you the currently opened tab and no other tabs.
You have no tabs at the moment assigned to your 5th Category (idols) so that’s probably what you’re seeing.

EDIT:
@EHG_Mike While testing @valdemaniak’s issue, I noticed a potentially problematic issue that can happen if categories get deleted. You have an off by one issue basically.

So what’s happening is that when you delete a category, the deleted categories’s categoryID is getting asigned to the next category, which is fine. But when the categories after that have their IDs changed, their numbered starting at the same ID (I’d assume that the first swap is a single executed code block, and the proceeding updates are done with a loop starting at the counted number of categories preceeding them without considering the one just swapped.

What this does is make not only the category with the duplicated ID not directly interactable (you have to click the one to the right of it), it also makes the furthest right category non-interactable (because the system isn’t anticipating a duplicate ID).

As an example:

If I had categories 1 - 7 created, the json would look like this (formatted for readability)
“categories”:[
{“categoryID”:0,“iconID”:0,“colorID”:0,“displayName”:“Category 1”},
{“categoryID”:1,“iconID”:0,“colorID”:0,“displayName”:“Category 2”},
{“categoryID”:2,“iconID”:0,“colorID”:0,“displayName”:“Category 3”},
{“categoryID”:3,“iconID”:0,“colorID”:0,“displayName”:“Category 4”},
{“categoryID”:4,“iconID”:0,“colorID”:0,“displayName”:“Category 5”},
{“categoryID”:5,“iconID”:0,“colorID”:0,“displayName”:“Category 6”},
{“categoryID”:6,“iconID”:0,“colorID”:0,“displayName”:“Category 7”}]

If I were to delete category 4, the json should be updated to look like this:
{“categoryID”:3"iconID":0,“colorID”:0,“displayName”:“Category 5”},
{“categoryID”:4,“iconID”:0,“colorID”:0,“displayName”:“Category 6”},
{“categoryID”:5,“iconID”:0,“colorID”:0,“displayName”:“Category 7”}]

Instead you get this:
{“categoryID”:3,“iconID”:0,“colorID”:0,“displayName”:“Category 5”},
{“categoryID”:3,“iconID”:0,“colorID”:0,“displayName”:“Category 6”},
{“categoryID”:4,“iconID”:0,“colorID”:0,“displayName”:“Category 7”}]

As you can see, both Category 5 and 6 get assigned categoryID 3. This pattern of behaviour works regardless of where you delete the category from.

Exiting the game doesn’t resolve it (the game doesn’t currently check for the “impossible” ID conflicts though it does fail gracefully and still load) but it can be resolved in-game at the moment by deleting the repeated categoryID tab (in this case 3) which then passes the issue on down the line until you’ve deleted all of the categories after the duplication.

This is, admittedly, a fairly odd circumstance to come up (I wouldn’t have encountered it had I not been testing the above issue), but it is definitely something that is currently broken.

1 Like

That should only happen if the initial creation error happens also. When a category is deleted, it adjusts all other tabs and categories to fix themselves. I’ve got a solution going through QA that should fix all existing problems and prevent future issues from arising.

2 Likes

Good to hear, keep up the good work!

I’ll probably test it again whenever the fix gets deployed though, because I’m nosy.

Glad to hear it! Gotta keep me honest :smile:

1 Like

The auto-fix for the stash problems should be live. If anyone here still has issues after 0.7.8d please reply to this comment.

So I tested the category thing I brought up earlier with the new patch. It’s still happening… sort of.

The initial issue I described where the deleted category’s categoryID is getting assigned to the next two categories is still happening, and the effects of it can still be felt in game. This indicates to me that the issue is still being caused when a category gets deleted, the tabs are not being properly reassigned categoryIDs (still off by one so one is duplicated). BUT it’s kind of weird now.

So relaunching the character does seem to internally fix the issue (so that’s good). I assume this had to do with whatever check you guys put in place to “fix” broken stashes when a character is loaded [this is a good fix, but the initial problem still should get fixed before it causes problems].

However, looking at the stash file I can see that some stuff isn’t necessarily being saved properly (though I don’t know how else it’s being handled?) always.

From what I can deduce, the check is being done on 1) character load, 2) tab management, but i’m noticing situations where neither stash file is being written to properly (though the game still seems to handle it properly?), and the categories still have matching ids in the file.

While the fact that it appears fixed in game is good, I imagine having the information wrong i the files would make debugging future issues complex.

In the situation where:
I have 5 categories (Category 1 - 5)
Category 2 gets deleted by me, and then Categories 3 and 4 are both assigned categoryID 1 (the one Cat 2 had) and Category 5 gets assigned 2.
Category 1 - categoryID:0
Category 3 - categoryID:1
Category 4 - categoryID:1
Category 5 - categoryID:2

This is observable in the stash file, and experienced in game with the inability to select categories 4 and 5 properly. IF we relaunch the character, the files remain the same but the functionality of 4 and 5 are restored.

It’s only until I assign a tab to a category that the stash file gets updated so that the IDs become unique again. I.E.:
Category 1 - categoryID:0
Category 3 - categoryID:1
Category 4 - categoryID:2
Category 5 - categoryID:3

NOTABLY: This only happens if the character has been relaunched (though can be fixed, even if put in the “wrong state” by reassigning tab category from a relaunched character). If the character has not been relaunched (and the tab is in the “unclickable” state) then the stash file never gets updated properly to show the correct categories.

Bottom Line: From what I can tell the problems are twofold:

1. The game is still not properly handling categoryID reassignment at time of category deletion. This has functionality impacts without reloading the character, as well may cause issues later down the line if the ability to reorganize tabs/categories gets added to the game.
  2. The game is not consistently properly writing the correct categoryID information (or is somehow bypassing the handling of it) to the Epoch_Local_Global_Data_Beta(_temp) file(s) when whatever fix is deployed to repair faulty stash settings. This seems to have less notable impact on how the game is played, but could likely cause error reporting issues/debugging down the line.

I know this is kind of an information dump, and I hope I’m being clear enough. Let me know if anything needs clarifying.

Yea, I didn’t fix that one yet.

I think we’ve got it figured out now. Should be good for next patch.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.