Skill Plaques (Supplemental Skill Respec fix)

All they have to do to get all the gold from someones account that they stole is to then list a crap low tier white item for exactly the amount of gold the account has. Then log onto the stolen account and buy that item.

Then if they can do that with ANY item, what does this have to do w/ the skill plaque system I’m describing?

I’m sure the devs will do everything in their power to maintain account security, but your point, in reference to my post, is irrelevant.

How would you considered it “FREE” having to pay 5K for a blank plaque, then 40K to imprint the lvl 20 skill (which would give it a minimum of I’d assuming character lvl 60-70 requirement), and then it would cost another 20K (all prices are just examples) to put a different lvl 20 skill?

I think 65K (or w/e it is) to swap from one level 20 skill to another would be the opposite of free, and not done nilly-willy (after adjusting costs for end-game GPH averages) …

Making the opportunity cost in gold instead of time seems much more conducive to the structure of the game. One of the biggest points of utilizing this system would be because it is a gold-sink. If you make it so that ppl have to play the game (effectively making MORE gold and not having to spend any), that creates the opposite of the desired effect.

Because I have yet to see one game, where gold is not irrelevant. By nature, how these games works, it not possible to have meaningful gold sink. Maybe it would be “hard to obtain” for like a month but in a year? Everyone and their mother could instantly buy all of these plaque.

If these plaque would exists in the game, I would make them drop, not be buyable by gold. It’s easier to control. Make them super rare and you could have interesting system…

Why are you avoiding elephant in the room? It’s possible to have all skills leveled up and ready on your plaque - you just can hot swap them, when you need (outside of boss fight according original idea). That’s what people like me doesn’t like. Gold sink is fine but as I said, I have yet to see one ARPG, where gold is not irrelevant.

It isn’t irrelevant. The plaque idea gives innate monetary value to every account. People used to level characters to max in wow and sell those accounts for lots of money. People buy the time investment. People will steal accounts to skip the time investment themselves and sell other peoples invested time.

I am sure items would be taken too, but there is risk involved in that that is different. A person can steal 10 accounts and not get any items worth anything. That is exposure with no payoff. Skill plaques completely negate that added risk. People only really steal accounts if there is a payoff. You are suggesting a system that gives every account a payoff.

I agree. That’s why I proposed this gold system: Economics of Last Epoch, IMO - #21 by Katalaeia

If an entity is trying to steal accounts, they steal any and every account they can, regardless of what is on them. They do this because ANY items you pay 0 for and then can sell for in-game gold / real $ irl is ‘profitable’…
No one goes “Oh this account might have X on it, I’m going to devise a plan to somehow steal the credentials…” If they can, the devs have a bigger problem than what in-game items exist.

Specific items on an account doesn’t change whether or not someone is trying to steal an account…
As long as ppl know how to not get their account stolen, again, your point is moot.

This is the last entry regarding ‘account theft’ I’m going to reply to, because it is a non sequitur that has no bearing on game mechanics or items.

1 Like

Okay, I read your idea and while it’s interesting, it’s too complex for average Joe to grasp - especially if he just want play some ARPG. I don’t see something like this happening anytime soon.

Don’t get me wrong, would be interesting to see that in the game, but chance of that is pretty much zero.

Considering most people know how to use skill gems in POE after a 5 minute explanation / reading a new player guide, I think they’d be able to pick it up here as well… especially if you take POE linking and supports into account. This is a much more simple system, and entirely supplemental (you don’t even need to use it) to the current system.

Correct me if I am wrong, but what you are proposing is have to limited amount of gold in economy. Which is based on number of players/characters. While it may be edge case scenario, it also means that at some point, some people may hoard money from economy and don’t return it back, right?

So what exactly will happen with new player when gold is not generated in any way? Can be just locked out from obtaining gold if there is none of very limited amount of gold in economy?

Wrong Post.
But yes, A closed system, where playing end-game requires you to spend money (such as creating arena / monolith portals / etc), as well as having fail-safes.

I like the idea of points 1+2. Making imprints to use later sounds cool.

But I don’t like the idea of selling these imprints. This is like pay to win.

How is paying with in-game currency acquired through play ‘pay to win’ ?

This is assuming that The Bazaar is the only means of transferring items between players (other accounts) and that it runs entirely on in-game gold.

you wrote $ in your first post. Sorry if I misinterpret this.

But even with ingame currency you “buy” progression instead of earning it. You already are able to buy gear. Buying character progression isn’t something I’d like to see in LE. Sorry.

2 Likes

I still don’t understand your point. If you have accumulated the gold through play, and want to change out a level 20 skill for a different one on an appropriate level character, why would you be against someone spending X gold to change skills?

If you’re level 100 and want to swap two level 20 skills skill and it costs you 250K, what’s the issue / how is that “pay to win” ?

I don’t mind the idea of being able to swap into an already leveled skill. I don’t like the idea of it being a commodity. I would rather all skills on a character retain their level even after taking them off. It could just cost an amount of money per skill level to re-equip it. The player could choose to equip whichever level of the skill they like as long as they have leveled it to that point manually at some point. Obviously a level 1 skill would still cost nothing to equip.

1 Like

This is not what I am referring to. In your very first post you suggest to make these things sellable via bazar.

I don’t like that people can sell their skill progression on the bazar.

Also changing points of your original post after I commend on it is… :confused:

1 Like

The Bazaar in Last Epoch would work the same as WOW auction house. there’s no RMT involved in the Bazaar… again, not sure your point.

I edited the “$” sign to say ‘in-game currency’ because that’s what the entirety of the post is referring to, for clarity sake. As you pointed out, some might confuse $ to mean USD.

Ooof… this is really not easy:

First I misanderstood your statement because of the $. I thought you suggested you want real money transactions. After you answered I posted this:

I dont know hat to say any further… Maybe if you read my posts in the correct order?

When people refer to ‘Pay to win’ or ‘buying progression’ is it insinuated that you mean using Real world money to pay for in-game items/currency/progression.

Nothing in my suggestions has anything to do w/ that.

All of the skill plaque suggestions I’m making are based on spending in-game currency (gold) you’ve already played to acquire…

If, for example, a level 20 skill plaque has character lvl ~60 requirement, you’ve obviously already committed the time to playing the game and leveling that character.

So again, I stress, I don’t understand what you mean buy ‘using in-game currency to buy progression’. Isn’t the point of getting gold to buy things for your character(s)?