In addition to the changes to skill respec’ing coming in .7.10
(described in this post Refining Skill Respecs in Patch 0.7.10 )
it might be an interesting mechanic if LE were to introduce Skill Plaques / Cards (whatever you want to name them), similar to POE skill gem system.
How they would work:
- There would be a generic item called a ‘Skill Plaque - (Blank)’ that you’d have to purchase from a specific vendor (assuming the respec vendor) for some amt of gold (assume 5K for this example).
- If you have a blank Skill Plaque in your inventory or stash, when you choose to completely remove a skill, you get the option of ‘Imprinting’ the current skill and level of the one you are trying to remove onto a plaque at some scaling gold cost rate (say 2K / skill level). It is then stored as a “Skill Plaque - Skill name (level) [Lvl req]”. (lvl req would be the minimum level you could achieve that skill level via XP.
- The Skill Plaque item is then transferable between your characters / able to be sold on the Bazaar
- When a player goes to add in a skill to your character skill sheet, you can expend the Skill Plaque to add the skill at that level, with the allotted unassigned points. In order to apply that skill card to your character, you’d again need some amt of currency / skill lvl (say 1K / skill lvl).
This covers several very important points in LE:
- Helping repair the Skill respec System w/o a large player time investment / possible bricking of your character.
- Allowing you to construct alt builds more easily (either on that toon, or other toons).
- Creating a means for trading skills throughout the multiplayer system.
- Gold Sink (if more are needed to balance GPH generation).
Just some thoughts on the subject.