Sentinel tips for surviving (Void Knight mostly)

I’ve had some shocking success with Hammer throw and the Disintegrating Aura (Combined that with the Nova,and added hammers) its been shockingly effective I was planning on working Erasing strike in as well if I go void knight which I more than likely will since the other’s can’t be turned to Void on the other classes.

Update-So I took all the advice I got here went back to Void Knight and Crafted me up a white weapon with Tier 2-Void melee,Tier 2-Melee damage leeched as health,and Tier 2-leech on hit only made one adjustment went 2h Doomblades seemed meant for this and survived my last two Monolith’s against a boss which is more than I did my first time thank you!

Didn’t notice this till just now but GB and CA? I will say I went with Void Knight and switched to 2h but added Melee damage to healing percent and flat healing on hit to it both to Tier 2 and can see where Leech is good as I’ve been surviving my foray’s into Monolith (Same could NOT be said for my first attempt)

Glancing Blow (reduces all hit damage by 50%, but has no effect on DoTs) & Critical Avoidance (gives you a chance to avoid taking a crit, so if you get it to 100%, you’ll never be crit & take a load of extra damage).

I figure literally every class in the game can add glancing blow and crit avoid so let’s assume those are in use. You could try the shield as mentioned, but Void has no shield buffs anywhere. You’d need to climb the other trees, which is fine, but you probably won’t hit the top of the trees for the good things in either for one much less both unless you’re not a VK at all, which I figure is the point.

What I would do, and am doing (note: I don’t have a super-char yet; I’m testing everything and I have a job so I don’t have 15 lvl 100 chars), is use maneuverability. Use your things like shield bash (decent void buffs and can get rid of the shield), lunge, and your reversal. I try to do lots of hit-and-run; run in, swing a few times, reversal out. VK is high damage, little to no damage mitigation but lots of leech potentially. Run in, kill something, run out, repeat.

I can’t say it’s fool-proof at all and I won’t say it’s “better”, which is relative anyway, but I personally find it about on par with the pally and FG as long as you don’t think you can stand in a melee for long against something that objects to you being there.

Alright so two Questions if I’m going to stack health how much is a good amount? Second one these passive’s like Temporal Corruption that add +2 to void or damage types how worth it are they or should I go for straight up Percentage like say Sorrow and Steel?

That entirely depends on your gear & other passives. Unfotunately it’s not an easy question to answer since we don’t know the base damage of skills (though for melee it should be simpler as that should be the weapon). If you’ve got several hundred % increased void damage, adding some more flat damage might be more useful.

As i said in my post, just using a sield alone makes you already alot tankier, and spending 13 points for the block chance bodes at the start of forgeguard and pala tree makes using a shield already pretty reliable, that combine with some decent shield affixes is already enough to make you alot more tanky.

Well that depend on how far you wanna go, you can certainly go up to 1,5k/2k+, which you will definitly need if you just going health.

All that flat added damage get increased or reduced by the damage effectivnes of the skill(when you hover over a skill and press alt you can see the damage effectivness, in case there is nothing specified it is 100%), those value then get’s multiplied by increased damage, so generally you want to stack both anyway.

Early on flat damage added is really strong, but you want to also take as much %increases as you can get too.

I’m holding my own pretty well with a 2h Void Knight mind you I have Leech and Health on about every piece of gear I have (Have also thanks to Idols gotten up to 30% chance of Glancing Blow) have some regen as well. I will say curiously the Juggernaught stance instead of decreasing crit chance like it says actually increased it though I’ve got so much leech and HP (Up to 780 at I wanna say 43?) that I’ve been using the Ephemeral stance. Mostly a mixture of orbiting devouring orb,erasing strike,and regaining hp and mana with Vengeance.

1 Like

Seems like you got some good results, with most of your own effort and just using some of the tips people gave you here.

I think that’s always the best and most exciting thing if you manage to achieve that with your own effort.

Keep us updated about your progress, always enjoy hearing about people getting more and more into the game and having great success :metal:

I did post something opposely related to monster dmg. Came back to try this patch after making several VKs and in this patch i found quite some mobs spamming oneshot aoe skills.

From this thread it looks like the only way to go as VK (if going 2h) is to spam life & resist and later add glancing blows. IIRC glancing blows were on the rares side of the mods so it will take quite a while to craft high tier gear with GB

I tend to try and understand everything I can see how people do it then add my own spin to thing’s. I got up to the Paladin’s in the snow area/Burning forest and started having issues…I’ve just never been good with shield’s I’ve always been more a dps player so I suppose I tend to gravitate towards more aggressive playstyles. Those Paladin’s and fire using people over there are no joke though I think I survive Monolith easier than I do them ha ha. The fire bird’s in that area didn’t give me much trouble it was those Bird Men that fired off spells that gave me issues them and the Paladin’s. Gonna see about mixing Health and Resists see if that helps. I did get up to 50 relatively easily with my build but did start falling off…

Just want to note that .79 added Set Armor+Void and Set Necro+Poison affixes for anyone browsing this thread in the future.

My VK is 100 and Facetanks everything save that one rare skeleton horse looking thing that does burst necro damage.

I had no problem with the 55 and 68 monolith echo bosses. Im curently trying to push through Dragon Reign but this game keeps freezing upon entry and I lose my progress. Im probably on my last days since im just sickened by this garbage.

Anyhow, get a shield, get ALL the block nodes in all 3 trees. Stack prots and armor. Max glancing blows and Crit avoidance. Gamble for the orions eye amulet. Must have. Go as low health as u can. This will maximize ur mitigation. Stack health all u want. u will never out stack the one shots u will face so u must mitigate in order to survive.
Im currently mitigating 92% and up on all prots save necro and poison. Both can be avoided with movement. Im at 690 health. 76% block. You MUST use vengence for the damage mitigation. I don’t see how u a VK will go far without it. I dont like the void skills since they cost so much mana and don’t hit hard enough for the cost imo. I stack physical and crit. It takes time to build but worth it till u get to a point where the game freezes are the only thing that can stop you. GL

1 Like

thx for the tips, not sure how to build my vk to MoF, wich skills do you use for damage?

Out of curiosity, is that 92% for blocked hits? Does it include 10 stacks of Rallying Block?

I use vengence as main dmg dealer. I keep devouring orb up for dps and prot buff.specced into dark moon. I use erasing strike as a mana dump. I have the Orions eye ammy so I have extra mana.

1 Like

My mistake. I have 79-81% prots. 92% when I block. I use 4 sigils for armor and block buff.
I dont have any points in rallying block. The real danger isnt packs, its rares n bosses

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.