Respeccing is painful, punishes new players for not knowing what to pick early on

Exactly. Respec should be easy in Beta. At least first couple of weeks/month.

2 Likes

After reaching endgame and removing my skills & specializations lots of times already I personally don’t think it’s too bad, I have also re-spec’d quite a few points, money comes really easy at endgame, if you make a mistake wait until later in the game and fix it.

The system currently in place should remain as is if this is the intended way it should be run going forward to release, having it easy in beta won’t solve anything as there will then be an issue once it does release and the costs are increased.

I gotta disagree. Point here is not to make it easier just for convenience. It is to allow people explore different options easiliy and frequently. Re-specializing a skill takes considerably long. I am far behind compared to my level due to de-specializing my main skill just to remove 1 single wrong point. In my humble opinion, easier respec allows testing more stuff during beta and lets people learn the game. Especially when there isn’t any kind of tooltips yet.

“I gotta disagree. Point here is not to make it easier just for convenience. It is to allow people explore different options easiliy and frequently. Re-specializing a skill takes considerably long. I am far behind compared to my level due to de-specializing my main skill just to remove 1 single wrong point. In my humble opinion, easier respec allows testing more stuff during beta and lets people learn the game. Especially when there isn’t any kind of tooltips yet.”

I agree with Duckwho a bit on this. Furthermore, while I think its fair that learning new specializations should start THAT skill to level 1, I wish it retained some aspect of the progress with the specializations you’ve already explored. As feedback, I would say that it feels awful losing all that progress. If that’s what’s intended, congratulations you achieved it.

Once you hit arena, you’re going to be swimming in gold, so a full respec isn’t a problem.

Hey all, copied from another thread I just replied to:

We will be implementing a system to respec skill point in the very near future. You’ll be able to take points out of skill trees which will de-level them that many levels. This will require you to gain more experience to regain those levels back in the skill but will keep you from having to reset the entire skill down to level 0. Keep an eye out for patch notes!

Thank you for your feedback and we hope youre enjoying your time in Epoch :slight_smile:

11 Likes

I actually really like this solution for the skills, it’s the perfect amount of “punishment” or trade-off for changing your build around.

1 Like

Cool!
Hellgate London had a pretty cool idea where you could drop a full respec item from the last boss. But I guess it wouldn’t work out well since if a build fails, it can’t kill the boss either.

+1 for me. My review wouldn’t be recommended until devs seriously look into the time-consuming but yet pointless way to desepcialize mastery and skills. It’s annoying everytime you try to adjust a skill but have to start again from lvl 1. and same goes with mastery too, if you want to adjust a lower skill you will have to clear everything on top. We can torlerate all bugs but not disturbing setup. Eventually all these type of games would be very time-consuming at every aspect, so you should consider convenience and efficiency in all-ways for your gamers.

Again what’s the point of doing so? To forcefully extend our time in the game at the cost of our passion to explore? What might turn out is in order to save our own time and skip mistakes, everyone would choose to cut short by copying someone else’s BD rather than to invest into it.

It’s foreseeable everyone would make mistakes at bd-crafting stage, or with needs to make adjustion while being stroke with new ideas. So it’s a problem everyone would encounter, some might make peace with it, but certainly not me!

At last, I want to say this is a shared opinion at my community.

I haven’t attempted respeccing passive tree points, but what I would suggest for that is to use a variant of the current system (if my proposed idea IS the current system, then I have no complaints). Essentially, you still pay gold to respec one point, with the gold cost scaling up every time you respec a point up to a cap (let’s just say 5,000 gold as an arbitrary potentially-reasonable number). When you remove a point from the passive tree, it reduces the overall level of your tree until you put the point back in. If you reduce the level below the point where you have skill points invested in a node, those skill points stay invested but you gain no benefit from the invested nodes until you put your points back in and your passive tree level reaches them again. If you want to remove points from a node that acts as a pre-requisite for another node that you have put points into, the points stay in the other node, but you lose access to all of that node’s benefits until you put enough points into the base node that you meet the pre-requisites for that other node.

This version of the system would allow for minute changes to the passive tree at any level, while still making it difficult to significantly alter your tree. If you realized that your core build concept was fine but you’d misplaced 10-15 points in bad places here and there, this system would allow you to correct that regardless of where those points ended up being. However, ideally the system would also be prohibitively expensive for trying to completely change from one build concept to another, in order to suggest rerolling as an alternative to respeccing, while still ultimately allowing it for players who really hate rerolling and who are fine with painstakingly grinding out enough money/resources to eventually buy a full respec.

+1…
I understand the cost of the refunding, but it should be less, or free. (Perhaps 15-25k for a full reset, or something) Especially how many passive skill nodes there are.
This is a BETA, I would like to do more “testing”.
Tempted to make a new character which can be quicker than saving up the gold, and that’s just a worse concept. Valid if making a new/different build, but not for testing…

Hi Guys,

First I bloody love this game.

I agree that you should not be able to respec the whole character or at least it should be really costly to do so (maybe with specific non tradable items that are really hard to come by). I also like the idea to have the freedom to reallocate your last 20 points or so at any time.

However in the Beta phase I think that this is unnecessary, the idea is to test the game in a more easy way so we can explore potential bugs more easy. I think that during the Beta phase we should be able to reallocate passive points and Skill points freely at any given time.

Furthermore we still don’t have a complete KB of the mechanics of the game or a Character Calculator, this also should be taken under consideration and further emphysema on the need of more freedom during Beta.

Kind Regards,

1 Like

Adding on, a full respec is prohibitively expensive if you try to do it more than once or twice. I don’t think this makes sense, giving how many options there are in the game.

First off, I love this game so far. Next on the agenda, I understand poeple’s concerns with “free” on the fly respecs, but this is still a beta for testing and I feel that we should have more freedom to play with our points. I can see spending about 30k every time you “full respec” to limit how much you respec but having it inflate in cost during the beta is a little much. We don’t have guides or sims for this game yet, so fine tuning is a challenge for some of us. I’d rather be able to fine tune then spend all my time leveling the same class try tweaking it a little.

ARPGs encourage making new characters. Want to respec your melee beastmaster into a caster shaman? Make a new character.

It’s also not that expensive anyway…I full respecced from 70 to fix some early passives and still have plenty of gold left. If I had to do it again I probably would run out of gold, but shouldn’t I have fixed the mistakes the first time?

Grim Dawn’s respec is a joke. The cost is so low it might as well be free. Respeccing is a must in that game though because early skills do not scale as well into late game typically.

I have not found the need to respec much here after playing almost constantly since beta launch. I’ve de-specialized skills plenty of times…but the passive tree is not that complicated especially the first 20 points.

Agree with the respec cost. It should not be negligible. I appreciate the concept that respeccing should also cost some time. From an more RP perspective this fits as your character is learning a new skill which will take some time, so I’m all for some form of respeccing that costs some non-negligible amount of time.

Continuing the discussion from Respeccing is painful, punishes new players for not knowing what to pick early on:

Reading all the responses here baffles me. There are many different kinds of players in this beta, and subsequently interested in the game, that range from this being their first foray into the genre to seasoned veterans. Everyone is going to have a different view on just about any issue that comes up, such is the nature of the beast when sharing a passion with such a diverse community. The thing that bothers me is that I see many people that campaign for one thing, mainly in support for painful respec, because its the way it has always been, or character identity or it makes choices meaningful, etc, with no regard as to how it effects the player base as a whole.

What I don’t get is how it makes sense to punish everybody for the desires of a minority. Let’s say the devs make respecing easier by allowing full respecs for a set price or item, or hell even free. There is nothing stopping anyone anywhere from not using them, and rolling a new character in order to preserve that characters identity. I guess what I am getting at is nothing is lost to the “hard-core” crowd by allowing easy respec because they are not forced to use it. But to the new guy trying to figure everything out, the idea of rerolling for the “n” time could literally just make him or her walk away. Not everybody has the time to go through the slog one more time because a new build just emerged that looks like a lot of fun, but that means they need to spend another 5, 10, 20 hours to even try it out to see if its something they like.

It makes sense to be more inclusive than less. LE is looking to claim the attention from gamers with several great choices to choose from in a genre that is known for sucking away endless hours from peoples lives (a good thing). Maybe something like Diablo 3 is a little too easy for what the devs have in mind, but the suggestions that it should be painful to respec is a horrible idea that only serves as a barrier to entry for new players, and with out new players games tend to die quickly. The market place is crowded, and becoming ever more so as we ride this wave of resurgence in the ARPG genre, it can only help to improve quality of life. If you don’t like it, don’t use it, but don’t punish everyone because they can’t no-life it.

1 Like

i think respec is a good thing , sometime you want to try your own build and not just copy stuff, its not allways going to work in the first try , so yeah its kinda sad to punish people for wanting to Try new stuff .

Nothing worse than wanting to start playing a game and knowing you NEED to follow a guide or you toon is probably going to be useless .

1 Like

I understand the “Make respecs hard” crowd, your Argument can be Extended, I could say “Why is there no cheat engine to create all the items I want with perfect rolls? It hurts noone, if you don’t like it don’t use it.” … it’s an extreme example of Course, but maybe you get my Point, just by having the Option of freely respeccing whenever and whatever I want, you automatically reduce the importance of your build. You don’t Need to plan, and furthermore you can simply start with a leveling build, and Switch to the build you really want to Play at Level 80 or whatever…
I personally understand both sides, I don’t have much time to Play either, and having to reroll a character just because I misunderstood what a passive does or whatever would probably turn me off the game…at the same time D3 with it’s full-on insta-respec whenever you want makes everything unimportant. I think the General direction of LE, making it expensive, but not impossible and not tooooo prohibitive is good. The Details can be changed once the Content is largely complete and we see how much a 1.000 Gold Ends up being worth.

I think the biggest problem right now is that so many prefixes, suffixes, passives, and spell points are not very obvious “what they do”. For new players, and even advanced players to be able to test out what things actually do, try different builds, try variations of builds, like the difference between 1 point in a build.

I want to be able to theorycraft and test hundreds, thousands of variations. How can I do that when it takes like 3-4 days to respect once? With that in mind to respec all the times I want to will take 400 days of play, an entire year. Seems silly, no?