Respeccing is painful, punishes new players for not knowing what to pick early on

Since the Chronomancer only allows you to respec your most recent n points, it quickly becomes cripplingly expensive or impossible to go back and fix mistakes you made early in your build. This isn’t great, because early build choices are the ones new players are most likely to make mistakes on (since they don’t know all the mechanics yet, and may or may not have settled on a build).

Contrast this with other ARPGs:

• PoE lets you spend relatively affordable amounts of respec points from quests and/or Orbs of Regret to fix small mistakes in your passive tree, including ones made at the beginning of your character’s growth.

• Grim Dawn lets you freely spend gold to undo individual points, even from early in your build, as long as you don’t respec out of something that’s in use as a prerequisite for something else.

The method of respeccing should be changed to allow fixing mistakes you made early in your build relatively affordably. The current system makes it too easy to “brick” an entire character just because you didn’t know what you were doing at level 8.

1 Like

+1 from me. Experimenting is a also a huge part of playing RPG. With the current respec system it’s impossible to switch build, for example I was messing around with a fire sorcerer and wanted to try to respec into cold but I couldn’t because it required a full respec of the passive tree.

3 Likes

In my opinion it should not be “easy” to change the whole build. But it should also not be enormously painful to fix little mistakes which happen a lot early on.

8 Likes

I’m not sure I want them to make full respecs cheap - there’s something to be said for a character having an individual identity based on their build, as opposed to the Diablo 3 model where you only ever have to level one character of each class.

But I definitely don’t like the current system, where you effectively have to do a full tree respec (with the associated high costs) even if all you want to do is switch your first 5 passive points from one of the starting nodes to a different one.

2 Likes

the system is extremely painful to recuperate skill points. I agree that something like grimdawn way would be better use.

3 Likes

The current system was implemented because it was a really quick way to do it. They’ve already confirmed it will be changing in the future. I do believe they like build permanence though, so whatever system we get probably will be intended for slight experimentation and fixing mistakes more so than changing our builds around on the fly like D3.

Uhm respeccing is cheap right now ^^. Players who don’t know what to skill should look at their skills while holding alt and you lern every modificator for that skill. They said the make changes to respeccing but right now it’s pretty cheap. 10 or 20 missplaced points don’t hurt you untill you can respecc all.

1 Like

Disagree with free/unlimited respecs. It’s current implementation is not super intuitive and there could be a better way to introduce the respec system to players or give them cheap respecs before level 10/20/whatever, that much I can agree with though.

As A_S00 said, there’s something to be said for the individual character identities, much like the diablo 2 days where you had your X barb, Y sorc, Z paladin builds. Not saying passives need to be that stringent but there’s a happy medium such as the aforementionned poe system.

Maybe a quest reward that unlocks a free respec every X levels?

2 Likes

At the Moment it’s really not that optimal. I’m always for a felxible and cheap way to respecc, but I can understand other opinions.

What about an farmable item, thats available once halfway through the story and otherways it has to be farmed for at an specific endgame boss or location?
It sould be non-tradeble but can be given to another of your characters. So everyone could get the chance to respecc once around halfway, level a new character to fix an existing one or farm a stack of items to respecc. For me that would be the best way, so you have to engage with the game to be able to respecc.

Btw despecializing skills needs also to be changed, there has to be an option to reallocate points without leveling the whole skill again.
My 2 cents, and I’m courius what you think about it.

So Yeah … as a Alpha Player who reached high Waves in Arena and earning ez money by doing that… I think it would be cool to lower the gold price for respec. There are actually so many things i would like to test and i really don’t want to level a new character because of new awesome Content !! thats no complaint :smiley: but it takes too long. Okay it’s a quality of Life thing ^^ but would be cool getting sth. like lower costs for respeccing several times on one character

I’m kinda surprised that respecs aren’t free during beta. The main point of the beta is to test the game, and i can assure you that i would certainly test more skills/builds etc, if i had free reign to change builds. Maybe institute some free respec weekends or something so people still do the leveling process for new characters or something.

3 Likes

Exactly. Respec should be easy in Beta. At least first couple of weeks/month.

2 Likes

After reaching endgame and removing my skills & specializations lots of times already I personally don’t think it’s too bad, I have also re-spec’d quite a few points, money comes really easy at endgame, if you make a mistake wait until later in the game and fix it.

The system currently in place should remain as is if this is the intended way it should be run going forward to release, having it easy in beta won’t solve anything as there will then be an issue once it does release and the costs are increased.

I gotta disagree. Point here is not to make it easier just for convenience. It is to allow people explore different options easiliy and frequently. Re-specializing a skill takes considerably long. I am far behind compared to my level due to de-specializing my main skill just to remove 1 single wrong point. In my humble opinion, easier respec allows testing more stuff during beta and lets people learn the game. Especially when there isn’t any kind of tooltips yet.

“I gotta disagree. Point here is not to make it easier just for convenience. It is to allow people explore different options easiliy and frequently. Re-specializing a skill takes considerably long. I am far behind compared to my level due to de-specializing my main skill just to remove 1 single wrong point. In my humble opinion, easier respec allows testing more stuff during beta and lets people learn the game. Especially when there isn’t any kind of tooltips yet.”

I agree with Duckwho a bit on this. Furthermore, while I think its fair that learning new specializations should start THAT skill to level 1, I wish it retained some aspect of the progress with the specializations you’ve already explored. As feedback, I would say that it feels awful losing all that progress. If that’s what’s intended, congratulations you achieved it.

Once you hit arena, you’re going to be swimming in gold, so a full respec isn’t a problem.

Hey all, copied from another thread I just replied to:

We will be implementing a system to respec skill point in the very near future. You’ll be able to take points out of skill trees which will de-level them that many levels. This will require you to gain more experience to regain those levels back in the skill but will keep you from having to reset the entire skill down to level 0. Keep an eye out for patch notes!

Thank you for your feedback and we hope youre enjoying your time in Epoch :slight_smile:

11 Likes

I actually really like this solution for the skills, it’s the perfect amount of “punishment” or trade-off for changing your build around.

1 Like

Cool!
Hellgate London had a pretty cool idea where you could drop a full respec item from the last boss. But I guess it wouldn’t work out well since if a build fails, it can’t kill the boss either.

+1 for me. My review wouldn’t be recommended until devs seriously look into the time-consuming but yet pointless way to desepcialize mastery and skills. It’s annoying everytime you try to adjust a skill but have to start again from lvl 1. and same goes with mastery too, if you want to adjust a lower skill you will have to clear everything on top. We can torlerate all bugs but not disturbing setup. Eventually all these type of games would be very time-consuming at every aspect, so you should consider convenience and efficiency in all-ways for your gamers.

Again what’s the point of doing so? To forcefully extend our time in the game at the cost of our passion to explore? What might turn out is in order to save our own time and skip mistakes, everyone would choose to cut short by copying someone else’s BD rather than to invest into it.

It’s foreseeable everyone would make mistakes at bd-crafting stage, or with needs to make adjustion while being stroke with new ideas. So it’s a problem everyone would encounter, some might make peace with it, but certainly not me!

At last, I want to say this is a shared opinion at my community.