Respec - How do YOU like, or not like it

Why is this a big deal? I mean I can completely swap my gear at any time which is arguably more powerful. Discover Fire Golems are in your Monolith? Swap to my full-on Fire Resistance set. Never worried about those big buggers since. It takes about 5 seconds to pull a full gear swap and no one cares about that being OP.

Er…yes please, but isn’t the above simply a “free respec”?

In fact it’s way better because all my skills are levelled even if I never use them? Even I might have an issue with that much generosity.

Either way I’d be down with that. My skills, like my PoE gems should never lose level once levelled. I mean what is the flavour behind this mechanic anyways, did I forget how to Fireball?

yes its free respec, just like passives in your passive character tree. Taking points out of there doesnt de level your character.

Because your gear is rarely your build. Most of the time gear is something that makes your build better but not an essential component (though that could change in the future).

Delighted to hear you’re in the free respec camp then. I imagine you have to tweak builds a bit more than most of us.

That training area would have to basically be full blown Arena for the testing to be meaningful, for me at least. I ran Arenas for a few hours before I was 100% sure what to do with my Fireball build in my example. So now the punishment is I have to go several hours with zero progress. I mean I assume no drops, and no experience would be earned in the testing area. This actually sounds harsher than the current set-up. :frowning:

You mean that you used the setup a few hours, after you get all the nodes you wanted?

Because my suggesstion included something like getting all nodes within some minutes or so.

Well there’s a bit more to it than that. For me I can respec skills at ease at level 100 just a few minutes and a skill is 1 to 19. It’s more about the early game. It feels bad as a new player to go in and unlock a new skill and remove a level 6 skill to use a new level 1 that you have to relevel imgmagine in poe all your gems revert to 0 just cause you swapped it out to try a different gem. It has nothing to do with how much I test stuff its just hos i feel early game feels bad for players that dont know what there doing

Which was all of us at one point

3 Likes

I must say after playing a bit again (had a holiday) and wanting to try some different builds… I am no fan anymore of the time it takes. Actually I now agree that completely breaks your fun of trying builds. I want instant use of my respec. I am willing to pay for it and/or go to town, but when I respec I need to play immediately.

Yeah I made that point a while back in this monster thread. Whatever the devs settle on as the respec cost, it has to be something you can pay immediately, hence you must already have earned it.

It is the fact that you have pay the cost after you respec (and hence cannot immediately see the effect) that makes the current cost feel so punishing.

Hello all, I’d like to put my 2 cents in on the skill leveling. It is definitely tedious and could be a drawback to newcomers but with a high level character, it’s some what trivial.

My suggestion is pretty simple. Whenever you have an active skill, it should level and when you replace it, it should still retain it’s current level so you can come back to it to finish leveling it up. Once the skill reaches level 20, it should stay 20. This will also make players to want to level every skill to 20. You should also be only able to swap skills at a master in town or something to that nature.

In the end, I’ll be ok with whatever they choose to do, i just love the game too much for this to really hold me back in any case.

2 Likes

This is a very nice suggestion!

Let us level every skill to max, let us tweak trees with instant respec. But swapping skills us restricted to be only available in town, maybe even with a limited currency or decent gold cost.

I really like the direction this thread went. Many nice suggestions and ideas so far. EHG has just to pick some and test them :wink:

Thanks for saving me from the dark side!

Obviously, I am 110% behind this idea. But this is basically a free respec. Others might not like it…I’m waiting for the “choices must matter” side to chip in on this lovely idea.

At this point same arguments are repeated again and again. “level 20 skill should stay level 20” is here like 3-4 times already. So not sure if there is a point to repeat same counter arguments again and again.

For the record, yes, I am strongly against it, but I am pretty sure devs seen that several times already so let’s wait and see how they will react :smiley:

1 Like

That’s probably because new people come in, read the first few posts, their eyes glaze over as they skim down the thread & then they post their viewpoint.

1 Like

I think @ManiaCCC is referring to people that need to repeat arguments over and over again. And I agree with him.

In my last post I stated that I really like the way this thread has taken and that people bring in their ideas to propably find a compromise.

The answer was kind of the opposite…

I, too, stated my opinion on “choices must matter” and I did not change my point of view. But in contrast to some other people I try to think outside the box (like many others here, too).

It would really be nice to just accept the view of the opposite side. Understanding is not necessary. Just acceptance.

Some of the suggestions here I am not agreeing with. But maybe there are other tweaks that could make these suggestions work for me.

1 Like

Sorry, but it’s a 350+ post thread so like any type of thread that long, you’ll see repeat arguments. I probably won’t be the last either :wink:

I respect you’re against this, but as I mentioned, it’s very trivial for a high level character to re-level a skill. The point of ARPGs are to experiment with different builds at the highest level. I just see no point in spending an hr or so re-leveling a skill when you’re at end game.

I am not really farming in early access so I can’t really tell how quick skills can be releveled, but many people already said it’s pretty much instant, so it sounds worrying.

But there are some mixed reactions so I really don’t want to comment on things I know very little about. You are saying it’s trivial, so why bother to have releveling at all. Ghost for example is saying, releveling skill is taking too much time even in end-game, that’s why they should remove skill releveling. It’s quite conflicting to be honest :slight_smile:

However, my positions is this: If releveling is indeed trivial, I would rather make it less trivial, keep skill releveling, but also allows to respec skills without deleveling it with some currency or something like that.

1 Like

This is exactly how I feel and the reason I stated my post. I even said an hr which probably isn’t even accurate. I think its actually much less. But regardless, its very pointless imho.

What they can do is scale the leveling of the skill but keep the level 20 skill skill at level 20. Just make it harder to obtain, kinda like POE where the last few levels of a skill gem take an eternity.

1 Like