Refining Skill Respecs in Patch 0.7.10

“When you are at a higher level…”. Sure, i´ve read this argument a couple of times now, but what if you are not. New players might take a while to get ONE char to that “higher level”. Up until then the new system is highly appreciated. Also: new players can´t just jump into the arena right away.

I’m all for flexibility in the earlier levels. Maybe I wasn’t clear on that. If you look at my suggestion it favors build testing up to a certain point. Maybe I’m contradicting myself since I am suggesting a different hybrid approach. My idea is to allow respeccing until a certain level (maybe 17?) Then if you want to have the skill to go over that, you need to make a permanent decision. It’s a rough idea that doesn’t punish newer players, but affects people who want to min max and get to higher content IF EHG wants to go to the route of character permanency.

1 Like

can’t thank you enough guys. this is awesome.

The hard part of making a build in this game is mostly about the gear. Some skills switch might require a total new gear set.

So I think it’s step in the absolute right direction. Also, I think it’s not enough. I think we should be able to “store” a skill when it lvl20. You can reuse that lvl20 anytime you like. If you want to go the easy-skill-respec route, go all the way.

I understand preventing hot swapping is needed. So just prevent it in any echo. If you enter one echo, you cant change your skill, even gear, like in D3 greater rift. It will make choosing what to bring before a battle meaningful. Because as of right now, as least for me, i bring a lot of back up gear in a non-complete character vs different type of mod in each echo. Prevent that, then remove the penalty of skill switching, entirely.

Glad it’s being addressed at least but hard to say how big an impact it will have since the early levels are fairly quick to farm and the late ones take the real chunk.

Can you reveal what the highest skill respec level will be and at what character level it’s attainable?

Maybe we can finaly get the last skillslot earlier?

It feels very strange that you basicly finish the story before even getting the last skill slot!

I kinda agree, but also want to see how it feels in-game. I think most people can agree that it should be easy to respec a skill early on and try new things, but not as easy later on.

Yeah I agree. But this change doesn’t achieve that. It makes higher level characters have an easier time with respecs by bumping up the skill level the higher your character level is. It just all depends on what their goal is. If that’s indeed what they’re going for then this achieves that, albeit in a way that’s not satisfactory.

As for wanting to see how it feels, I wish I shared the same sentiments as you. Some things you can pretty much predict. In this instance, it shaves off x amount of time. If at level 100 it takes 5 minutes to get a skill to level 10 and the new system puts the skill at level 10, then that means it saves you 5 minutes. Arbitrary numbers seeing as I don’t know the specifics, but it gets my point across. I’m assuming they have the numbers on this and a ball park range of how much time is saved. I’m just too skeptical with the limited amount knowledge I have with the refined skill respec system.

Yeah, on paper, it sounds like it’ll achieve part of the aim (allowing lower level players to respec a bit early on easily and even switch out skills entirely to try something different), but they are also not done with it & will be looking at how to make skill respecs less punishing at lower levels.

Great change.
It was very frustrating in early game , after picking mastery tree, not be able using new skills

It depends on curve of skill levels. If they really want achieve early game experimentation without hassle, curve would go something like: First like 5-7 skill levels would be achieved in a pace, you would naturally level up these skills without swapping, so as long as your skill level is up to level 7, you can hot swap them as much as you want without losing anything. But after this threshold, it would slow down to the point, where max level character would retain just like 11-12 levels at best.

It’s all about implementation.

So I don’t think this is linear. Early/ midgame you get a boost because the starting level increases as you progress. This will lead to less time needed to respec during his phase of the game. This will shift at some point as you progress. Also at high level it’s not that much of a bonus if you would get lvl 10 start points because the early levels still are easy to gain and the road 15-20 is the slow one.

I agree it’s about implementation. I just think as a concept it doesn’t do much unless they go hard like a lvl 100 respeccing into a level 19 skill immediately. At which point why bother?

Having a better experience at early levels for respeccing seems more urgent than worrying about higher level respeccing. At least from my experience, it’s really easy to respec at a higher level because you can level the skill easily to a workable level. I tried respeccing an early level character and found it cumbersome since the skill feels pretty bad from 1-5 when you can’t put much points.

Kind of off topic, but I’m wondering if specialization slot unlock is being looked at. I’m of the opinion that unlocking specialization slots a little earlier might make the game feel better at earlier levels. For example, I can choose my mastery class around 17? (Can’t remember exactly) but my next skill unlock is much later so I don’t get to try out the mastery skill unless I respec. Maybe the 3rd or 4th slot should open immediately when you choose your mastery. That’ll feel more fluid and natural.

1 Like

That’s cool thank for listening your community

when this patch will came live?

Probably in ~2ish weeks. The “big” patches are every 2 months & the last one (0.7.9) was early August, so I’d expect 0.7.10 to arrive late September / early October.

This might be stupid but what about implementing a trial area when you get to the end of time area? Like, a special area there where you can freely test all of the mastery skills and passives for free on test dummies or even simple AI bots. You wouldn’t be able to keep the skills but it would allow players to plan builds as they go and you would undoubtedly still end up respeccing as you get new gear or decide to change playstyle. I think this area could replace the mastery quest. The first time you go there you get to try all the masteries before picking.

Also, one free full respec when you finish the mastery quest would be nice. It’s only at level ~20ish and encourages adapting to your chosen mastery rather than having to pick a mastery that fits your current build. This would be great for new players but not particularly useful for vets.

3 Likes

That would be pretty nice actually. The implementation of such a solution would take some more time and effort though. It could be a nice feature that could be included closer to launch, while the current idea would be a quick fix that would not bind as many resources.

Yeah, normally i’m pretty against specific suggestion and requests, because i dislike the idea of making skilltrees and stuff too meaningless, but this kinda reminds me of specific MMO’s PvP Areas, where you can test out skills and builds on dummies or ai stuff. That’s a great compromise between having a more meaningfull buildchoice and stuff( i mean that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be allowed to respec at all, it simple should something which requires a bit of work, so you are more encouraged in fixing builds instead of swaping between different builds on the fly which might than kill the replaybility /edit: also masterychoice should stay permanent imho, but testing it out before you decide is kinda cool idea) but also allow people to test out some stuff. I’ve quite alot of situations in my past ARPG experience, ranging from Diablo (2) to Titan Quest or Torchlight, where on the paper a skill sounds good on the paper, but once you actually use and play them they doesn’t fit your playstyle or work out differently than you expecting. Theorycrafting is nice and all, but i’d argue some people need to experience / feel said skills and stuff first before they know how it work out.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.