Passive Node Ideas - Mage

Spell Cascade - casts a random spell while you cast Spell X. So casting Fire Nova for example shoots out a firball… without all the skilled passive powerups for sure :D. You can go through a whole spectrum of all the stuff.
all kinds of X into Y dmg transformation. I was sad to see that flamereave can’t be all lightning for example.

1 Like

Hello,
First I want to say, the job on mage passive is already great.
I meanly play melee pure thunder spellblade (full melee manastrike other active are for protection) with passive that augment attck speed. i used the ligthnening spell manastorm and shock from manastrike with passive that augment spell damage with melee attack. Other passive are the one that augment max mana and ward creation/retention.

I love passive that cast spell like ligtening rain.
For spellblade, passives that play on chaining melee and spell are good mecanisn.

There is a lot to do with ailment. We can do something with applying the three elemental ailment (chill, shock and ignite) on same monster for multi element build.
Or just with two element like chance of special effect on chilled monster when attacking with thunder.

I don’t really like on kill effect, but I understand that it is aninteresting mecanism.
Perhaps some passive that give bonus with ward value (like the unique bee sword).

I really like the idea of double cast. Free cast is great too but I will not use it personnaly.

For runemaster, the same as ailment but for the caster. A little like rune word.
That it if rune are like buff on the ground given by others passives or tree on skill… That could be great :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry for my english.
Hoping that help.

2 Likes

New player here, I’m not sure I’ve even had a look at all the existing passives, but excited to contribute!

A few ideas-

• I really like being able to leech life/mana back, so some % conversion skills are always great.
  • I’m definitely enjoying the “Every 3 seconds, your next spell is 20% stronger” passive, though I wish there was a visual indicator.
  • Aura-style passives that do something like “shock a random nearby enemy with lightning every second” always light up the screen and give me a rewarding feeling of power.
  • Juggling elements adds a great mechanic too. “20% more damage for each unique element you’ve cast” or “More damage if you’ve cast a cold, a fire, and a lightning spell in the past 5 seconds”
  • I’d love some skills that augment my performance based on enemy health. Something like “Deal 50% more crit damage to enemies on full life, and 10% more critical strike chance to enemies below 30% health”
  • It’s always visually satisfying to have some on-death mechanic for enemies, like “Enemies killed with fire damage explode, igniting nearby foes for 10% of their life”.
  • Passives that augment pacing are also fun. “20% more cast speed if you’ve cast 4 spells in the past 2 seconds” or “20% increased critical strike chance if you haven’t cast a spell in 2 seconds”.
2 Likes

This might be a cool idea and it might not.
An idea I had was what if there was a spell/ability you could use that negated terrain effects?
For example a wings ability that made it that you would fly in the air for a few seconds and wouldn’t take terrain damage or melee attack damage? Ranged enemies could still harm you and you could still attack via range abilities/spells, but terrain damage as in fire that is on the floor or anything like that wouldn’t harm you? Also it could be a “oh crap” button when you are in tough situations.

I think a cool passive would involve timing a spell to give it bonus effects or damage.
The passive would have a tight window in which you could exploit its effects, so you need to manage your cooldown well.
For example: On every 10th second, your spells will double cast. (So you have one second every 10 seconds where you spell goes boom!)

A post was split to a new topic: Black Hole Rework Ideas

My idea falls into Passive and Item category. A thought I had was that if a passive allowed a skill to have certain amount of stages, like for example, if you had Fireball skill and at stage 1 it fired one projectile, but if you held down the skill longer it would fire two projectiles and at stage 3 it would fire three. So having a channeling sort of speak on certain skills. As far as items it be interesting to have a unique item that forced this said type of Fireball skill to cast at stage 2 or 3 instead of channeling. Just an idea.

1 Like

Not really sure what the next mage class is going to be, i assume a support class of some sort. but it would be nice to have a way to either convert some spells to a defensive node or maybe a offensive shell type skill. seems every other top down ARPG always has a skill you keep running that chews up some of your mana pool and provides a buff for you and your allies. which would be something that mages should have access to… we have fireshield but i think its very underwhelming in its current build.

Maybe one in spellsword that gives you cdr based on how much ward you have currently? For example 1% cdr for every 20 ward you currently have (im not sure how numbers scale lategame so this could be super imba).

I think this would enable a lot of cool ward builds.

Maybe something about you having an aura that lowers element protections in an area around you that is 50% of your own elemental protections.

It seems Spellblade currently doesn’t have any nodes for crit-builds.
How about something like this:
“Keen Enchantment”:
On Melee Hit, gain [1 per point] Keen Charge[s].
On Melee Critical Hit, expend all Keen Charges. This hit gains 1% Increased critical multiplier per Keen Charge spent.
“Vorpal Enchantment”: On Melee Hit, gain [1 per point] Vorpal Charge[s]. On Melee Critical Hit, lose all Vorpal Charges. Each Vorpal Charge grants 5% increased critical chance.

Concerning base mage classe for passive node : Arcane current, Arcane flame and Arcane wind. I guess their proc rate every 10 secondes not useful , too long.
Let the proc time scale with investment , something like -1.5 seconde per point so they will end proc every 2.5 secondes at maxed 5/5 .

Thank for this game .

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Ideas for generic Mage buffs and passive nodes

I feel like there should be ways of gaining more generic buffs; such as Haste and Frenzy, instead of so many unique ones on so many different skills and passive trees. There should be multiple ways of gaining the buffs and they should also be easily recognizable at a glance. I also like the idea of having buffs scale with level as to make them more viable late game. The numbers are kept low, since these buffs shouldn’t make your character too powerful early game.

These ideas are just to get discussions rolling, so please add your own generic buff ideas that can be obtained in different ways and augmented further.

I will start these discussions for each base class with 3 buff suggestions. Don’t hold yourself back with crazy ideas!

Mana Surge

Effect
1% increased Mana efficiency per character level for 4 seconds. Cannot stack.

How to obtain

• Passive node in the top half of the Sorcerer tree. You have a 50% chance to gain Mana Surge when you critically hit an enemy with a spell.
  • Skill node in the Teleport tree. Left path. You have a 50% chance to gain Mana Surge after you Teleport.

Augments

• 0/5 - Passive node in the bottom half of the Sorcerer tree. Increases the duration by 20% per point.
  • 0/5 - Passive node in the bottom half of the Spellblade tree. You have 5% increased elemental protections per point while Arcane Boost is active.
  • 0/1 - Passive node in the top half of the Sorcerer tree. Give Mana Surge to nearby allies as well.

Arcane Boost

Effect
1% increased Elemental damage per character level for 4 seconds. Cannot stack.

How to obtain

• Skill node in the Elemental Nova tree. Fire path. You have a 25% chance to gain Arcane Boost when you critically hit an enemy with Elemental Nova.
  • Skill node in the Elemental Nova tree. Cold path. Gain Arcane Boost when you chill an enemy with Elemental Nova.
  • Passive node in the lower half of the Sorcerer tree. Gain Arcane Boost when you cast a spell that costs more than 40 mana.
  • Passive node in the lower half of the Spellblade tree. You have a 25% chance to gain Arcane Boost when you critically hit with a melee attack.

Augments

• 0/5 - Passive node in the bottom half of the Spellblade tree. You have 10% increased chance to shock, chill and ignite per point while Arcane Boost is active.
  • 0/1 - Passive node in the bottom half of the Sorcerer tree. You deal 30% more Elemental damage while Arcane Boost is active.
  • 0/1 - Passive node in the top half of the Sorcerer tree. Give Arcane Boost to nearby allies as well.

Mage Barrier

Effect
1% Ward retention per character level for 4 seconds. Cannot stack.

How to obtain

• Passive node in the lower half of the Sorcerer tree. Gain Mage Bulwark when you take a critical hit.
  • Passive node in the lower half of the Spellblade tree. You have a 50% chance to gain Mage Bulwark when you block an attack.

Augments

• 0/5 - Passive node in the bottom half of the Sorcerer tree. Increase the ward retention of the buff by 10% per point.
  • 0/1 - Passive node in the bottom half of the Spellblade tree. Gain 25% increased armor, while Mage Bulwark is active.
  • 0/1 - Passive node in the top half of the Sorcerer tree. Give Mage Bulwark to nearby allies as well.
1 Like

I would like to have Minion passive nodes so every class has some pet options. Teleport has a pet skill.

+Mirror image damage, duration

When you get hit, a Mirror Image would come out. Something along the line.

Runemaster idea
Spells/Skill that reserves mana until casted or activated.

Rune of Frost - Mana reserve 10 (Mana is reserved until skill is activated)
Ennemies are slowed - Upon getting hit they are frozen for 2 seconds
(Cooldown after activation)

Rune of Magic - Reserve 1 mana each second
Casting the spell again deal damage in front of you based of the amount of mana reserved

Rune of thunder - Reserve 5 mana per rune
Set a rune on the floor, periodically call down a bolt of lightning on the location for 5 seconds

I am only putting this with no idea if similar stuff already exsist as I didn’t play a Mage yet. I just like the idea of having lower maximum mana without it being buffs or aura. Could make for some intresting playstyle.

Runemaster nodes: Minion stats, minion mechanics please, and thank you.

focus on mirrior images from the teleport skill to be an army of capable spell slingers at your command.

You no longer crit
Each time you would have crit, the extra damage is stored as a charge
Whenever you cast a spell that costs at least x amount of mana, all damage from charges are added to the spell
Max 100 charges

Decreases the targets poison resistance each time they take a tick of poison damage
The amount increases with each consecutive tick

Changes meteor’s spell damage type to whichever element has the most plus spell damage

Upon reaching x stacks of ignite, the target’s weapons will melt, decreasing their damage dealt by x

Elemental orb
Path 1:
Over the next 2 seconds, all damage output of a single element is accumulated then ejected as a massive, slow moving orb of the same element type
Orb speed is affected by haste
Path 1-2:
The orb leaves behind a trail that has a +50% chance to ignite, freeze, or shock, depending on the element of the orb
Path 1-3:
The orb now returns toward the caster after reaching 30 yards

Path 2:
Elemental orb now produces four orbs that rotate around the caster, exploding on impact and dealing aoe damage to all enemies within 10 yards
Path 2-2:
Elemental orbs have an x% chance to leave behind a black hole upon impact
Path 2-3:
A massive meteor of the same element type falls at the caster’s location after four orbs are detonated

1. Spellblade passive: Toggle: Your spellblade has bought a bow!
    -> All “melee” on spellblades passive tree is converted to ranged/bow.
    -> PLUS another passive point: 20/40/60/80/100 % of your ward rentention is converted to increased ranged/bow critical strike chance.

2. Mage(/maybe sorcerer?) Passive (should be placed in the middle of row 25): Requires a Wand, Staff or Sceptre.
    -> After every 4000 Mana spend (there should be a good mana counter visible then), you gain 10/20/30/40/50/60/70/80/90/100 % increased mana regeneration for 10 seconds. This effect can’t stack.

3. Spellblade passive: You use your unique spellblade powers to get rid of unworthy creeps more quickly, releasing magical blades hitting all non crittet ones again.
    -> After every critical hit you do with a melee(/bow) attack, you hit all not crittet enemies within a 2/4/6/8/10 m range, beginning from the crittet enemy, again.

4. Runemaster Mastery Bonus:
    -> The Runemaster can select what his main attribute is. All his skills bases mainly on this attribute then. Can be changed all time.
    -> He automatically takes the single highest amount of attack speed (melee/bow/throwing) from char sheet (press c) and the single highest base amount from base critical strike chance (spell/melee/bow) from char sheet (press c).
    -> Further he has the ability to select what of his reached resistance pools (fire, cold, void and so on, from all sources) are related/bound/ect. to what resistances. Can be changed all time.
    [This thing(s) could be done by opening char sheet (press c), then for example select/click on “fire resistance” and bring a drop down menu which contains all avaiable resistance numbers and on what they’re attached to yet.] [And for selecting a main attribute just click on the attribute you wish and set a visible Runemaster symbol next to it. Done.]
    This whole thing could be a tricky thing on endgame… maybe it could be done for another class instead.

Spellblade passive: Convert Melee Phys damage on weapons to Melee Elemental based on the skill it is used, eg Shatterstrike to cold, Surge to lightining.