Overhauling Defenses in Last Epoch

Love these changes! now i would love to see traditional weapons where % dmg affixes increase the damage on the weapon itself and weapons have a min to max dmg on them maybe even the traditional 6 affixes on rares

Counterpoint: I’d rather have LE stay unique and not have the same systems as PoE.

1 Like

So, Check yourself before you… wreck yourself?

6 Likes

Staying unique is good but traditional ways like this is better overall poe was better before the bloat of affixes for items if they kept is simple like pre LOD D2 was with rare items it would be in a better place right now and so last epoch is doing this pretty good besides weapons feeling more like stat sticks rather then actual weapons

2 Likes

While the weapons themselves don’t have a range, damage does (+/- 25%), which is simpler to deal with (especially for spells & their adaptive spell damage).

Sources of shred on skill trees are mostly still there. The full patch notes will include details of where that’s not the case or where there have been other changes to those nodes.

Shock functions like lightning resistance shred, except that it also increases enemies’ chance to be stunned by 10%. Because it no longer scales with enemy health like it used to, increased shock effectiveness is no longer necessary for shock to scale into end game and most sources of it have been removed or greatly reduced in value.

1 Like

ya but it feels so much better when it actually adds to the weapon itself mostly for melee weapons

1 Like

But why? It adds another “axis of randomness” for which to differentiate weapons, sure (do you go for one with a smaller range but lower values or a bigger range with higher potential values?), but what else? Why does it feel better to have a damage range on the weapon rather than in the calculation?

I worry about penetration. So resistance cap is 75%, Penetration scales up to 75% based on zone level. So in zones 75 and up, even if you are resist capped, you basically have 0 resist. If you aren’t capped, you go negative resist.

This seems to make resists both mandatory and pointless at the same time.

Maybe it just needs to be played to see it in action. It seems like it would be better if it were shred instead of penetration that scaled with zone level. That way you could overcap to compensate.

We might be able to think of it as 0 resist being what the enemies are balanced around. If you don’t have capped resistance then you’ll be negative, meaning you take more damage from those mobs than ‘intended’. Armor on top of resistances will help you scale into taking less damage then ‘intended’ if we’re using the same idea of 0 resist (cap - penetration) being what it’s balanced around.

1 Like

The enemy shred up to the cap is actually my favorite thing that im seeing and think makes a ton of sense

I’m interested to see what happens to Low-Life builds. No changes to ward and if you stack vitality now in addition to the existing builds you could end with a ton of ward.

I’m expecting ward to feel pretty good if you can get % res and high ward like before. Previously high ward tended to ignore prots since they got more ehp from ward. Now resistances will scale your ehp from ward…

it makes it so more weapons have more viable choices to use why use a sword that does 40 dmg when theres one that does 60? having range can make you choose do i want more min dmg and less max or more max and less min 72-330 or 99-250 you can also add perks for each weapon type to make them differnt aswell in D2 pre lod Lances were kings of long range good max but had low min exec sword was the middle ground but could also be used as 1 handers on barbs and martel had high min good max but low range and also did extra dmg to undead this gave all these weapons different feelings and they were all good choices but differen’t D3 sucked because weapons were bassicly all stat sticks and LE is bassicly that atm and it could be better

1 Like

Thank you!

So cool, it’s gonna feel so much more intuitive, I love it

Shred applies before penetration. So resists can be shredded to 0 and then penetration can allow for a lot of extra damage. This will be great for players, but could mean shred is extremely harsh against players.

Presumably Shock is included as part of the Shred changes right? That means Shock effect could be pretty damn strong with these changes.

Shreds are mentioned to happen before the resistance cap. How relevant is this vs monsters aka do they frequently have above 75% resistance? Possibly only in the Monolith when you choose increased resistance options on enemies that already have resistance?

Love the changes can’t wait to try them how they are in practice. I’m really glad that you are willing to try things out. And finally we can see some use for penetrations.

Agreed.

I really like that EHG uses this EA/Beta to try things out, they showed more than once that they are willing to experiment with stuff, while still trying to hold true to their original vision. (it’s hard to keep the balance right for those things though)

Many other companies use the EA/Beta label just as an execuse that the game “is not released yet”

1 Like